collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522477 times)

Offline Proposition Joe

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #2280 on: January 12, 2019, 10:22:21 PM »
So yet another training injury, this time Jonathan Kodjia - precisely what is going on in training sessions? Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!

We ought to flog the whole place to HS2. Not only is it injuring any players that set foot on the place, but any residual success it might have been responsible for back in the day has long since vanished.

Yes, yes, and three times yes.  Bulldoze the place and create a new one somewhere else. 

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2281 on: January 12, 2019, 10:51:38 PM »
Our expectation  of promotion was based on an erroneous belief that this squad of players is more than good enough to dispatch all comers and walk this league providing we had the right Manager.  Clearly Bruce was no good so bring in someone else  and we will go on an endless winning run culminating in championship trophy being handed to us come May. Well the reality is that these players, a collection of has beens, can't be bothered and wannabe CL primadonnas are nowhere near good enough to do what's required. Smith really needs to be given the backing to clear out this rotten squad and build new from bottom up. And if Smith doesn't think that's the case and mere tinkering will fix the problem than he is not the man we need to get this great Club moving upwards again.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #2282 on: January 12, 2019, 10:54:24 PM »
I'm 100% behind DS.

In hindsight, I'd possibly question the substitutions but remember, we were only 1 down at that point and the only other option was to bring 1 of Davies or Hogan on and go 442.

It is worth mentioning that it would take a miricle to have got something out the players at Smith's disposal.  Bree is miles off the standard required & I really struggle to get the craving for him to start.  Taylor is dire and we don't have a creative midfielder available.  ElGhazi is too inconsistent and Bolasie is not the answer for 90 minutes.

It is going to be a total rebuild in this & the next window.  We also need to start thinking of life after Jack because no way on this earth will he be here next season.

Let's see what Smith does with his own players rather than a side who have had it too easy for too long under Bruce. 

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2283 on: January 12, 2019, 11:01:01 PM »
Most if not literally all of us are behind him (ok probably not stuart44544554 or whatever his name is). But Smith needs to start making some better decisions. We’re sinking fast in the league. Yes we’re still 5 points out but now there is 5 teams ahead of us to the playoffs spots. He is making a lot of mistakes as a manager including picking certain favourite players who offer nothing all. Also he needs to cut out this publicly blaming the ref bollocks. He might be right but shut the fuck up and win the game irrespective of the quality of the ref.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #2284 on: January 12, 2019, 11:04:19 PM »
Nothing wrong with his team selection today - I'd have gone with the same 11.

It is clear that the players at his disposal cannot fit into & play in the way Smith likes to play.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2285 on: January 12, 2019, 11:08:12 PM »
So, it’s only taken a few months for Deano to ‘reach the bottom of his managerial career’...his words.

Welcome to Aston Villa, boss.

Offline KRS

« Reply #2286 on: January 12, 2019, 11:31:49 PM »
The turn around in form has been incredible. From being the swashbuckling team of pre Christmas to this in double quick time makes me think that he might have had a fall out with some of the senior players. Maybe he has dished out a few home truths and someone's spat the dummy out. Needs sorting double quick. I hope to God that we're not about to witness the second coming of Graham Turner.
I have the same feeling...something must have gone on behind the scenes that we’re not aware of, as a down turn in form, style and performances can’t be down to just Grealish being out injured. Something smells rotten in Denmark.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #2287 on: January 12, 2019, 11:48:24 PM »
Up to the owners  to back him to the hilt and get rid of the dead wood including loanee Bolasie who gets worse by the week.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2288 on: January 12, 2019, 11:56:35 PM »
I'm enjoying our new taxonomy. Bruce haters and Smith lovers. If Catherine Cookson was on Universal Credit.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #2289 on: January 12, 2019, 11:59:55 PM »
Smith clearly needs a lot more time and loads of new players but my worry when he was appointed was that he had no experience of what he was being asked to do, namely take a very big club out of the doldrums and get them promoted, as well as implementing a new style of play and overhauling the squad, or at least getting more out of it.  That's a lot to ask.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #2290 on: January 13, 2019, 12:04:29 AM »
Smith clearly needs a lot more time and loads of new players but my worry when he was appointed was that he had no experience of what he was being asked to do, namely take a very big club out of the doldrums and get them promoted, as well as implementing a new style of play and overhauling the squad, or at least getting more out of it.  That's a lot to ask.

In fairness, what manager fits that criteria?

Certainly none who were available at the time.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #2291 on: January 13, 2019, 12:14:45 AM »
In fairness, what manager fits that criteria?

Certainly none who were available at the time.

It's a fair point but I'm pretty certain there were others out there who have more experience of those kind of tasks than Smith does.  I know it's not a popular view but I reckon Smith's Villa connection was given more weight than it should have had in the decision to appoint him.

Offline stuart445

« Reply #2292 on: January 13, 2019, 12:19:43 AM »
Most if not literally all of us are behind him (ok probably not stuart44544554 or whatever his name is). But Smith needs to start making some better decisions. We’re sinking fast in the league. Yes we’re still 5 points out but now there is 5 teams ahead of us to the playoffs spots. He is making a lot of mistakes as a manager including picking certain favourite players who offer nothing all. Also he needs to cut out this publicly blaming the ref bollocks. He might be right but shut the fuck up and win the game irrespective of the quality of the ref.

Oh I am still behind him, I just don't like the way Smith is allowed a bye this season when Bruce wasn't, I also don't take the view that some have taken that Smith is beyond question.

Today was embarrassing even when Bruce was going insane at the start of the season he still managed to beat Wigan. Smiths subs today was to put it nicely were strange. I hope the Hause performance was just because it was his first game in ages because if that is his norm I'm worried 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 12:23:26 AM by stuart445 »

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2293 on: January 13, 2019, 12:26:46 AM »
Nobody at all has given Smith a bye. But after 2 years of Bruceball and significant resources he failed miserably to deliver promotion most were very glad to see him gone. Smith deserves time to fix what is clearly broken.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2294 on: January 13, 2019, 12:31:08 AM »
I think the point Stuart is making is that some people expected Bruce to get us up in his first season and even now say he failed twice. Either way, Smith needs time, just like his predecessor did.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal