collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by SamTheMouse
[Today at 12:43:35 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by OCD
[Today at 12:41:13 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 12:40:24 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Dave
[Today at 12:17:57 PM]

Villa songs on Alexa by Louzie0
[Today at 12:16:54 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by WarszaVillan
[Today at 12:15:25 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by olaftab
[Today at 12:08:48 PM]

Diego Carlos by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:02:58 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1544141 times)

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #1500 on: December 11, 2018, 10:28:34 AM »
Listening to Dean Smiths and Darren Moores  post match interview's after Fridays game was like night and day, I like Darren Moore in general but he could barely string a sentence together without saying ermmmmm or throwing a shite cliche in there.

In fairness there are plenty of managers, and players alike, who struggle speaking in front of the camera.

The only Night and Day for me was their differing views on the game

Listening to Darren Moore's post-match interview, what I took from it was a man knowing his team had been very, very lucky and he couldn't actually come out and say so.  His difficulty seemed to me to be articulating this in words that didn't actually say so quickly enough.  I still like him though.
Darren sounds to me as a thoroughly decent man, an ordinary man who is rather good at his job. He may well get kicked out because of so called  image and PR requirements that come with a modern day Manager job but if that happens I hope they end up in League 2 ASAP.

Offline Iamkmkm

« Reply #1501 on: December 13, 2018, 04:34:37 PM »
I wish Deano had been made our manager when Di Matteo was sacked - over 2 years ago (yes, 2 years!). I honestly think we would be PL top-half, at least by now........Bruce was a massive mistake as Manager.

I think we would be playing CL football by now, i have been a villa fan for 25 years and i have never been more exciting about Villa then iam know, and most of it is because of Dean smith, It's a joy just to hear him talk football, hopefully he will be our manager for the next 20 years.

Online jwarry

« Reply #1502 on: December 13, 2018, 07:54:03 PM »
I wish Deano had been made our manager when Di Matteo was sacked - over 2 years ago (yes, 2 years!). I honestly think we would be PL top-half, at least by now........Bruce was a massive mistake as Manager.

I think we would be playing CL football by now, i have been a villa fan for 25 years and i have never been more exciting about Villa then iam know, and most of it is because of Dean smith, It's a joy just to hear him talk football, hopefully he will be our manager for the next 20 years.

Incredible to think he was appointed just 9 weeks ago yesterday

Offline Pvb1968

« Reply #1503 on: December 14, 2018, 12:53:46 AM »
Dean smith could easily have won all of the games he has been in charge of this far after taking over a team that had won one in ten. How many of those dick heads in the media are still claiming Steve Bruce was our only hope?
Fecking awful manager.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1504 on: December 14, 2018, 06:56:18 AM »
What do you think now Mr Carling at Loftus Road?

Dean Smith is building something and the crowds are coming. 41k for Swansea? 37k for Stoke? 41k for Leeds for half 1 on a Sunday?

Everton wouldn't get as good a home crowd as we do.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1505 on: December 14, 2018, 07:05:51 AM »

I honestly don't think he was ready at that point...he'd been at Brentford less than a year so I fear the job would've gobbled him up like Lambert as we still had major issues at the time e.g actually winning games.

Start of last year I had my reservations but no such problem this season as he's experienced enough at this level now.

I think the timing felt perfect, for both him and us.

I'm not normally a big believer in fate, but on this occasion I'll succumb to it.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #1506 on: December 14, 2018, 07:14:59 AM »
I’m feeling the same about Dean Smith as I did about Sir Graham during his first season in charge.

Sir Graham turned us around and Dean is doing the same.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1507 on: December 14, 2018, 11:12:43 AM »
I have no doubt he will get us promoted. If not this season for sure next. The big test will obviously be in the PL and for me there needs to be yardsticks set for progress. I find what Eddie Howe has done outstanding at Bournemouth. But he didn’t just arrive there. It’s been a steady and at times unbelievable journey to get a club of that size to where they are. Given the size of our club we could arrive there faster, and by faster I mean it may still take 3-5 years of being a PL club and investing year of year into players, systems and cementing a culture.

The one thing is that I am very much looking forward to what takes place and for the first time in ages have a high degree of faith it might actually happen.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1508 on: December 14, 2018, 11:52:38 AM »
I have no doubt he will get us promoted. If not this season for sure next. The big test will obviously be in the PL and for me there needs to be yardsticks set for progress. I find what Eddie Howe has done outstanding at Bournemouth. But he didn’t just arrive there. It’s been a steady and at times unbelievable journey to get a club of that size to where they are. Given the size of our club we could arrive there faster, and by faster I mean it may still take 3-5 years of being a PL club and investing year of year into players, systems and cementing a culture.

The one thing is that I am very much looking forward to what takes place and for the first time in ages have a high degree of faith it might actually happen.

I agree but it's not just Smith, the new owners are quietly getting on with things, Purslow is bringing a professionalism that we haven't had from a CEO and then the footballing side seems to be full of people who study the game and are up to date. Pitarch comes across well, JT is refreshing in his attitude to becoming a manager, most people with his playing career would've turned their nose up at coaching under someone from the lower leagues but he's embraced it. For he first time we seem to have an actual plan of how to structure the club to make the most of it.  We'll make mistakes, everyone does, but I trust the club to realise and fix them now, rather than trying to spin them as not having been mistakes.

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #1509 on: December 14, 2018, 12:51:08 PM »
I'm reading 'Blitzkrieg',an account of the 1940 collapse of France that led to the evacuation of Dunkirk.It tells about the lazy French  generals whose tactics were out of date and how poorly trained their troops were.
In contrast the Germans had military leaders who were constantly refining their methods and who repeatedly  drilled the army and airforce in the situations that they were likely to face but also asked people to think on their feet.
A book about war and its horrors shouldn't reflect on the merits of 2 managers but I was disappointed not to discover a General Le Bruce or a General Von Schmidt.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #1510 on: December 14, 2018, 12:59:23 PM »

Dean Smith is building something and the crowds are coming. 41k for Swansea? 37k for Stoke? 41k for Leeds for half 1 on a Sunday?

I must of missed this comment. Who is Mr Carling (at QPR)? What was the comment?

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1511 on: December 14, 2018, 01:11:41 PM »
you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you get a Prince

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1512 on: December 14, 2018, 01:32:43 PM »

I must of missed this comment. Who is Mr Carling (at QPR)? What was the comment?

I assume it was some well-oiled opinionated chap that Ads had the pleasure of spending an evening within earshot of at Loftus Road.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1513 on: December 14, 2018, 01:41:51 PM »
Got it one. We were worse off than under Bruce. I made the mistake of engaging with him.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1514 on: December 14, 2018, 07:26:05 PM »
Got it one. We were worse off than under Bruce. I made the mistake of engaging with him.

his first 3 games I saw 2 live and the other on the telly

won one lost two, I wasn’t bothered I had already seen enough to know we had at last got the right man

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal