collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522144 times)

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #1200 on: November 14, 2018, 11:09:47 PM »
I take “setting traps “ as inviting the ball to be played into a certain area/position by leaving a space or a player unmarked.  When the ball is played there, Villa players close the opponent down thus springing the trap

My only concern right now with Dean is he's openly explained our tactics to the media, thus the future opposition. Maybe he's got such a large bag of tricks he's not concerned but I'd be a lot happier if he kept his genius to himself and left everybody trying to work out how he did it.

After his post match comments of how he used Tammy to press their midfielder leaving the centre half with the ball and few options, even tactical eunuchs like Steve Bruce would be prepared. I can't think of another manager/coach that goes into such detail. Cut it out, Dean.

Lambert had Gabby do the same thing to Gerrard a few years back. It's not like its never been thought of before.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1201 on: November 16, 2018, 07:42:21 PM »
I take “setting traps “ as inviting the ball to be played into a certain area/position by leaving a space or a player unmarked.  When the ball is played there, Villa players close the opponent down thus springing the trap

My only concern right now with Dean is he's openly explained our tactics to the media, thus the future opposition. Maybe he's got such a large bag of tricks he's not concerned but I'd be a lot happier if he kept his genius to himself and left everybody trying to work out how he did it.

After his post match comments of how he used Tammy to press their midfielder leaving the centre half with the ball and few options, even tactical eunuchs like Steve Bruce would be prepared. I can't think of another manager/coach that goes into such detail. Cut it out, Dean.

Lambert had Gabby do the same thing to Gerrard a few years back. It's not like its never been thought of before.

Sure but there's no need to spell it out the the Steve Bruce types of this world.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1202 on: November 16, 2018, 08:16:23 PM »
I like it.

Teams know what we're going to do? Big deal. It's not like they didn't before he arrived!

It doesn't follow that they'll be able to stop us. And if it's looking like they might, I have every faith in our man making a change on the hoof that they'll not cope with.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1203 on: November 16, 2018, 08:44:32 PM »
There is plenty of film on how Dean Smith tries to have his teams play the game. The issue is stopping it. He speaks in generalities anyway, nothing specific and he adjusts based on the opponent. That’s the beauty of it. They will know we are coming, just not from where or when.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1204 on: November 16, 2018, 08:47:07 PM »
This management games isn't easy.  Jakanovic has been sacked, Wagner is second bottom and playing very defensive stuff.  Both managers who played fantastic football in the Championship and I'd have been delighted if we appointed either of them.  Meanwhile Cardiff's dinosaur is just above them after spending nothing!  Rafa is having to play eye watering defensive stuff to keep afloat.

I love what Dean Smith has done so far and am really excited about what we can achieve, but Fulham is a big lesson - they started with what I thought was a great team, spent a fortune and it's all gone tits up.  Making progressive football work in the PL is not easy. 

If we go up I'm hoping our wider structure and rich owners will help us avoid that trap, but interested to hear what people think of Fulhams struggles and how we avoid these if we reach the promised land?
Agree with most of this Chris however on Fulham I think they winged it last season and got away with it. Around Christmas they were nowhere and Coach decided to play expansive football to get some momentum and it paid off initially and continued to win them games as other teams developed a fear including us, twice. We got beat 2-0 at their place  and again in the play off final because Bruce didn't attack them. PL teams have no such fear against them and they have been found out.

If we go up with the nucleus of this current tem we will need  to replace at least 3 of the back 5, buy a quality combative midfielder, a winger/wide attacker, either keep Grealish or replace him with better and biggest one....get a proven top flight goal scorer. I am assuming that if Abraham has a very good season Chelsea will keep him next season.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 08:52:08 PM by olaftab »

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1205 on: November 16, 2018, 09:25:14 PM »
I could see us signing Abraham permanently, especially if we went up. He might be good enough for the Premier League but I don't think he is at the level Chelsea look for

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1206 on: November 16, 2018, 10:26:19 PM »
There is plenty of film on how Dean Smith tries to have his teams play the game. The issue is stopping it. He speaks in generalities anyway, nothing specific and he adjusts based on the opponent. That’s the beauty of it. They will know we are coming, just not from where or when.

Exactly.  They might well know that Grealish is going to run at them at every opportunity.  Stopping him doing it is another matter altogether.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #1207 on: November 22, 2018, 12:49:26 PM »
Just listened to his latest interview on AVFC/YouTube and he said with so many players away he took the opportunity to fly up to Scotland to listen to a motivational speech on the All Blacks by James Kerr the author of ‘Legacy’.  Beats a day in the golf course and nice pie in my book

Offline exigo

« Reply #1208 on: November 22, 2018, 01:06:50 PM »
This management games isn't easy.  Jakanovic has been sacked, Wagner is second bottom and playing very defensive stuff.  Both managers who played fantastic football in the Championship and I'd have been delighted if we appointed either of them.  Meanwhile Cardiff's dinosaur is just above them after spending nothing!  Rafa is having to play eye watering defensive stuff to keep afloat.

I love what Dean Smith has done so far and am really excited about what we can achieve, but Fulham is a big lesson - they started with what I thought was a great team, spent a fortune and it's all gone tits up.  Making progressive football work in the PL is not easy. 

If we go up I'm hoping our wider structure and rich owners will help us avoid that trap, but interested to hear what people think of Fulhams struggles and how we avoid these if we reach the promised land?
Agree with most of this Chris however on Fulham I think they winged it last season and got away with it. Around Christmas they were nowhere and Coach decided to play expansive football to get some momentum and it paid off initially and continued to win them games as other teams developed a fear including us, twice. We got beat 2-0 at their place  and again in the play off final because Bruce didn't attack them. PL teams have no such fear against them and they have been found out.

If we go up with the nucleus of this current tem we will need  to replace at least 3 of the back 5, buy a quality combative midfielder, a winger/wide attacker, either keep Grealish or replace him with better and biggest one....get a proven top flight goal scorer. I am assuming that if Abraham has a very good season Chelsea will keep him next season.

Fulham's big problem has been too many changes to a settled team. And that's upset the balance and understanding between players. Smith would never be that naive.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #1209 on: November 22, 2018, 01:08:22 PM »
Just listened to his latest interview on AVFC/YouTube and he said with so many players away he took the opportunity to fly up to Scotland to listen to a motivational speech on the All Blacks by James Kerr the author of ‘Legacy’.  Beats a day in the golf course and nice pie in my book

He's a very impressive individual.

All the money we've splashed on mercenaries, be it board or players - what did Smith cost, 300K?
I'm a very happy Villa fan.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1210 on: November 22, 2018, 01:10:26 PM »

Bruce would have spent it at home, with Deliveroo on speed dial.

Offline glinch

« Reply #1211 on: November 22, 2018, 05:23:46 PM »

Exactly.  They might well know that Grealish is going to run at them at every opportunity.  Stopping him doing it is another matter altogether.

Theres also the chance he's spoofing? Hyped up Grealish's runs one week - McGinn is predominantly doing them the next.

Just listened to his latest interview, real impressive - I know Bruce had a tough year, but he didnt strike me that he was trying to develop as a coach over the last 12 months (or 10 years).

We've definitely got the best man for the job.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1212 on: November 22, 2018, 05:33:12 PM »
Now we have a real manager, it beggars belief why so many defended Bruce for so long.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #1213 on: November 22, 2018, 05:43:05 PM »
Now we have a real manager, it beggars belief why so many defended Bruce for so long.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing. Bruce did a lot for our club in stabilising a sinking ship and getting our defence organised enough to stop us falling further down the leagues, which we should always be grateful for.

Given the horrendous appointments we've endured over the last 5+ years, I totally get people feeling uneasy with switching things up (as I did), but it's such a relief to have seen it pay off so well thus far.

Don't forget that we were on the brink of signing Henry!

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #1214 on: November 22, 2018, 05:44:55 PM »

Hindsight's a wonderful thing. Bruce did a lot for our club in stabilising a sinking ship and getting our defence organised enough to stop us falling further down the leagues, which we should always be grateful for.

Given the horrendous appointments we've endured over the last 5+ years, I totally get people feeling uneasy with switching things up (as I did), but it's such a relief to have seen it pay off so well thus far.

Don't forget that we were on the brink of signing Henry!

So say the papers.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal