collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522234 times)

Offline MalcolmP

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #1035 on: October 29, 2018, 12:18:11 PM »

And the most expected thing was once we conceded we know we wouldn’t come back. And the players knew it too. Their confidence because of all the things I mentioned combined is just shot as soon as we fall behind.

???? We have more points gained from being behind than any other team in this league.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1036 on: October 29, 2018, 12:57:55 PM »
Would not be surprised to see us make a move for Rico Henry

I think the first three Brentford players we would go for would be the keeper, Chris Mepham (centre half) and Ollie Watkins (wide forward). 

They would all cost decent money though and I'm not sure Brentford would be overly keen on selling to us. 

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #1037 on: October 29, 2018, 01:10:21 PM »

I think the first three Brentford players we would go for would be the keeper, Chris Mepham (centre half) and Ollie Watkins (wide forward). 

They would all cost decent money though and I'm not sure Brentford would be overly keen on selling to us. 

I Don't think they would like us too much after that

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1038 on: October 29, 2018, 01:26:02 PM »
I bet he's wondering what to do not having a game tonight.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1039 on: October 29, 2018, 01:51:51 PM »

We could send Hogan back in part-ex ....

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #1040 on: October 29, 2018, 04:18:36 PM »

We could send Hogan back in part-ex ....

Not a bad shout at all.

On that podcast with the Brentford fan a week or so again he mentioned Mepham and reckoned that his next move would be to a Prem Club.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1041 on: October 29, 2018, 04:39:35 PM »
i think we might be carried away with the Jan window thinking a lot of are problems will be over,
 i cant see it

we probably cant spend a load of money anyway and getting in quality players to replace half the team which is needed isn't going to happen in one window
just getting in a couple of defenders who can improve us will be a big result imo, but even that wont be easy

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1042 on: October 29, 2018, 05:16:54 PM »
Spending money on new players is only part of the rebuild.  Without a sense of playing style and player discipline, coaching, intelligent tactical management, fitness, squad rotation planning, improved scouting including psychological assessments of targets and player morale reinforcement no rebuild is going to succeed or endure.  All our eggs are in the one basket.  That basket is Dean Smith.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #1043 on: October 29, 2018, 05:28:13 PM »
Apparently he still only gets three training sessions with them this week.  They were given the weekend off and are back in today, then they get a midweek day off.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1044 on: October 29, 2018, 05:39:38 PM »
Just so long as there is time to put the hair dryer in their faces and tell them to take throw ins correctly and not score own goals with goalkeeper pass backs it will be a start.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #1045 on: October 29, 2018, 06:04:16 PM »

Not a bad shout, with the exception of the keeper, who's been having a nightmare and is very error prone.

Interesting that Brentford have gone to pot since Smith left, which could be taken as a good sign, although some of their fans are saying it had been on the cards. Sounds familiar? 

Offline jwarry

« Reply #1046 on: October 29, 2018, 06:20:16 PM »
If this not an indictment of Bruceball I don’t know what is

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2018/10/29/axel-tuanzebe-youtube-interview

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1047 on: October 29, 2018, 06:33:05 PM »
Apparently he still only gets three training sessions with them this week.  They were given the weekend off and are back in today, then they get a midweek day off.

3 sessions for 1 game is better than 3 sessions for 3 games!

They're already adapting. We were no better or worse than Norwich, should have put 4 on Swansea and dominated QPR.

It will come.

Offline SO Villa

« Reply #1048 on: October 29, 2018, 06:54:40 PM »
In the second half last night, when losing away from home (admittedly against a fairly average side) we were really going for it. There was a period where we had them on the ropes in a way that I don’t remember us doing under Bruce. Too many games recently we have just finished with a whimper.

I was there last night, and also away at Reading in Bruce’s first season, and we played a lot better last night. From memory the Reading game was a cagey affair, where we closed the it down and fed off scraps. I recall Bacuna having one of the best chances by just bundling through. Jedinak won everything in the air, but repeatedly gave the ball away.

Bruce made us difficult to beat, which is what we needed at the time. We need something different now, but still need to retain some defensive resilience. Despite all the possession we looked very vulnerable in transition last night. QPR broke incisively, and we didn’t know how to stop them. I suppose one solution would be to give the ball away less, but we don’t have the players for that.

The point about us being vulnerable to the counter-attack is something I noticed as well. This is purely because, under Bruce, we committed so few players forward that we never exposed ourselves to the counter. That is the genius of Bruceball.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1049 on: October 30, 2018, 07:10:19 AM »
Spending money on new players is only part of the rebuild.  Without a sense of playing style and player discipline, coaching, intelligent tactical management, fitness, squad rotation planning, improved scouting including psychological assessments of targets and player morale reinforcement no rebuild is going to succeed or endure.  All our eggs are in the one basket.  That basket is Dean Smith.
Can't believe you called Dean Smith a basket. He's only been at the club 5 minutes 😉

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal