collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1537954 times)

Offline Clark W Griswold

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #975 on: October 25, 2018, 01:59:57 PM »
Have we massively underachieved, had  poor managers, just not very good, or a combination of all three?

We have been poorly run as a club over a number of years starting towards the end of MON’s time which has meant poor appointments at all levels with no coherent strategy. The optimist in me thinks that this time it looks as though we are going about things in the right way; the pessimist in me says it will all go to shit because it always does; the pragmatist  in me is saying wait and see.

And that fence is telling me 'Get off me Chris, you're killing me.' :-)

I think it summed up my view on it as well. And even though I know we all need to be patient it's getting harder to be so, with every new dawn.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #976 on: October 25, 2018, 02:02:13 PM »
I agree too Kipeye, I thought we did ok and I'm pretty sure Dean was confident we would go on and win it but the double injury and letting in a poor goal did us.  Smith just said in his press conference that he put Hogan on to run the channels and stretch them but as soon as he went on we conceded so the plan didn't work.  He said that Hogan did run the channels but the rest of the team never found him which I guess you never see watching on TV because we all assumed he played crap.  At least he was honest enough to say that in retrospect Kodj might have been a better option, but least we now know he had a plan. 

I think we are all feeling a bit frustrated simply because we are so low down in the league and we can see shit teams moving ahead of us, and yet a couple of wins and we are right back in the mix.  Having 3 games in six days and an international break before that has not helped of course, but I'm sure Dean knows he doesn't have the luxury of time

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #977 on: October 25, 2018, 02:45:02 PM »
Press conference here.

He speaks really well and does inspire confidence that he will get things right in due course.

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2018/10/24/dean-smith-press-conference-qpr

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #978 on: October 26, 2018, 09:58:04 PM »
Right Dean lots of hard work to do mate.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #979 on: October 26, 2018, 10:18:41 PM »
We could be 17th or 18th after tomorrow's games ......I sincerely hope Smith can get something out this squad ( of individuals rather than team players) otherwise we are deep in the shit - all very well playing better football but not if the end result is the same ....an already long season looks even longer ...January recruitment is vital but I doubt we will be in with a shout for the play offs ..... when was the last time we were so low in the second division ?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #980 on: October 26, 2018, 10:20:56 PM »
We could be 17th or 18th after tomorrow's games ......I sincerely hope Smith can get something out this squad ( of individuals rather than team players) otherwise we are deep in the shit - all very well playing better football but not if the end result is the same ....an already long season looks even longer ...January recruitment is vital but I doubt we will be in with a shout for the play offs ..... when was the last time we were so low in the second division ?

The previous 3 seasons we've spent in this division including under SGT.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #981 on: October 26, 2018, 10:27:34 PM »
Trying to play football with a Steve Bruce side.  Almost impossible with a lazy bunch of fucks ghat they are.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #982 on: October 26, 2018, 10:28:47 PM »

Really? For some strange reason I'd airbrushed that from my memory ...... I was thinking late 60`s
Irrespective it's all very concerning .... I wish I could share the optimism many have for Smith  -  I think the task in front of him is bigger than both  he and many of us thought - I wish him luck
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 10:31:19 PM by villa `cross the mersey »

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #983 on: October 26, 2018, 10:29:24 PM »
Getting there. It's nice to see us put out a team selection where i can see what he's trying to do after Bruce where it was generally "wtf is he doing now?". Unfortunately at the moment he's compromised by what he's got at his disposal which isn't even a coherant squad, but at least he see's the problems you do and is trying to patch things up. Tonight was frustrating, but apart from the defensive fucks-up,  the players obviously not comfortable with his style of play, and players fluffing scoring chances i reckon we're on the right track :o

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #984 on: October 26, 2018, 10:31:17 PM »
This season will be similar to 16/17 I fear. Look at our 11 and there are many comparisons with what we had two years back and the results are reflecting this.

I will judge Dean from start of next season, exactly the same yardstick I used with Steve Bruce. He has next six months to shape the team and we need to come out flying next season so a good run at some point will be useful.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #985 on: October 26, 2018, 10:31:23 PM »
I think we're going to get irritating results until January I'm.afraid. It may be too late by then, but this is the hand we've been dealt.

Maybe with a full week Smith might have room to breathe and see who is available in the u23s.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #986 on: October 26, 2018, 10:31:26 PM »
We started W1 D3 L3 under SGT, we should remember the RDM start and the crap start last season.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #987 on: October 26, 2018, 10:33:58 PM »
I think we're going to get irritating results until January I'm.afraid. It may be too late by then, but this is the hand we've been dealt.

Maybe with a full week Smith might have room to breathe and see who is available in the u23s.

I think you are right.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #988 on: October 26, 2018, 10:35:22 PM »
He's come into a job in an international break, missing half of his squad and straight into 3 games. It's almost unfair. I expect after a few weeks of actual training we'll be better. But it's a hell of a hill to climb.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #989 on: October 26, 2018, 10:38:03 PM »

Go, Deano

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal