collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 01:08:06 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522065 times)

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #945 on: October 24, 2018, 07:07:56 PM »
I really hope he gets the time.  I’m talking this season and next at least even if we don’t go up this year which I’m convinced we won’t.

I’m sure he will, and rightly so. It’d would have to be a truly diabolical run over an extended period for him to be under threat. I don’t see that happening, I suspect we’ll get better and better.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #946 on: October 24, 2018, 07:16:31 PM »
I don’t know why but I feel really fcukin pissed off and down about us at the minute.  Bruce’s negligence has turned us into a crock of shit at the back with no spine whatsoever.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #947 on: October 24, 2018, 07:18:59 PM »
What's frustrating for me is we're finally doing what I wanted us to do the first season down here. Start from the beginning and build to a defined plan that is sustainable and can be carried on by future managers, unfortunately as we're doing it in season 3 we've wasted 5 transfer windows and countless millions buying players that aren't suited to playing that way.

100% this, as you say " frustrating", hopefully we get it right this time !
Patience by all  is what is now required

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #948 on: October 24, 2018, 07:23:04 PM »
What's frustrating for me is we're finally doing what I wanted us to do the first season down here. Start from the beginning and build to a defined plan that is sustainable and can be carried on by future managers, unfortunately as we're doing it in season 3 we've wasted 5 transfer windows and countless millions buying players that aren't suited to playing that way.

This is probably why I was so harsh on Bruce, he was a choice made for a shit reason that perpetuated the cycle that saw us relegated and, as I expected all along, has left us 2 years down the line with very little to show for it.

Smith is exactly the type of manager we should've been looking for when they decided to ditch RDM and, if he focuses on young player with pace, energy and solid technique (as he did at Brentford) then the transfer policy will be right as well.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #949 on: October 24, 2018, 07:30:26 PM »
The only tiny addition I would make is that I think the change of philosophy should have happened as soon as Eric Black took over.  We went down like a basket case team of serial losers.  We should have been preparing to hit the Championship like Dean Smith is going to get us playing now.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #950 on: October 24, 2018, 07:36:27 PM »
I find it astonishing that we are talking about highly paid "professional" footballers who are unable to make simple passes or even control the ball - how can it be that some players are " not comfortable on the ball " it's their job/ trade. They will have been kicking a ball from an early age - they train daily - how can each and every one of them not be adept at basic skills? It's like a builder turning up on site and not being able to use a hammer or an office worker not knowing how to use a PC.
By all means they may take a while to be familiar with fresh tactics or coaching methods but basic stuff like ball retention and accurate passing is something they should have been comfortable with by the time they graduated from junior football let alone youth football. We should stop making excuses for them - if they aren't comfortable then ship em out

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #951 on: October 24, 2018, 07:41:16 PM »
By all means they may take a while to be familiar with fresh tactics or coaching methods but basic stuff like ball retention and accurate passing is something they should have been comfortable with by the time they graduated from junior football let alone youth football. We should stop making excuses for them - if they aren't comfortable then ship em out

We can't though, can we? The transfer window is closed. So the only thing to do is make the best of what we've got and for Smith to try to hammer some basics into them for the next two months.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #952 on: October 24, 2018, 07:42:28 PM »

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #953 on: October 24, 2018, 07:45:48 PM »
It’s going to be a lot like when you first take golf lessons. Your game is struggling, your swing looks awful. But through good coaching, while your game might get worse initially, it will get better.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #954 on: October 24, 2018, 07:46:13 PM »
The only tiny addition I would make is that I think the change of philosophy should have happened as soon as Eric Black took over.  We went down like a basket case team of serial losers.  We should have been preparing to hit the Championship like Dean Smith is going to get us playing now.

My biggest issue with Black was that he did fuck all to prepare the club for the championship, we could've got anyone off the street to do what he did at the end of that season. When we went for RDM I was willing to give him a chance and I think some of his signings were sensible but I'd have rather he'd have not bothered with McCormack and got another midfielder instead, preferably someone with some energy. We all love McGinn largely because he's the long overdue replacement for Delph.

« Reply #955 on: October 24, 2018, 07:54:44 PM »

We can't though, can we? The transfer window is closed. So the only thing to do is make the best of what we've got and for Smith to try to hammer some basics into them for the next two months.
Yea I know - I didn't mean like tomorrow :)
Unfortunately it will be difficult to do and will take at least two transfer Windows I would imagine

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #956 on: October 24, 2018, 07:55:15 PM »
I find it astonishing that we are talking about highly paid "professional" footballers who are unable to make simple passes or even control the ball - how can it be that some players are " not comfortable on the ball " it's their job/ trade. They will have been kicking a ball from an early age - they train daily - how can each and every one of them not be adept at basic skills? It's like a builder turning up on site and not being able to use a hammer or an office worker not knowing how to use a PC.

I completely disagree with the view that they can't retain the ball.  Our midfield isn't made up of cast aways and rejects - we went around picking off smaller clubs' best players - Hourihane - Barnsley captain; Lansbury - Forest captain; Jedinak - Palace captain; Adomah - virtual ever present the year Boro got promoted; Grealish - one of the most comfortable players on the ball most have ever seen.

To say this lot aren't comfortable on the ball is frankly bollocks.  What's more likely is that they've spent the last two year being "coached" by Bruce to not worry about that side of things and have got in to the wrong mindset.  Give Deano some time with them and they'll be more than fine.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #957 on: October 24, 2018, 08:00:22 PM »
The new owners should have potted Bruce and got Smith in in the summer.  Then he'd at least have a chance with some of his own players instead of the car crash squad that Bruce has assembled.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #958 on: October 24, 2018, 08:06:48 PM »
The new owners should have potted Bruce and got Smith in in the summer.  Then he'd at least have a chance with some of his own players instead of the car crash squad that Bruce has assembled.
No, he needed more time.

« Reply #959 on: October 24, 2018, 08:16:27 PM »

I completely disagree with the view that they can't retain the ball.  Our midfield isn't made up of cast aways and rejects - we went around picking off smaller clubs' best players - Hourihane - Barnsley captain; Lansbury - Forest captain; Jedinak - Palace captain; Adomah - virtual ever present the year Boro got promoted; Grealish - one of the most comfortable players on the ball most have ever seen.

To say this lot aren't comfortable on the ball is frankly bollocks.  What's more likely is that they've spent the last two year being "coached" by Bruce to not worry about that side of things and have got in to the wrong mindset.  Give Deano some time with them and they'll be more than fine.
Thanks for your reasoned response - could have done without "bollocks" comment -  but each to his own - as for the
"Wrong mind set" - we are talking about adults here and not young kids - given time I hope Smith can mould a decent side

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal