collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522872 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #840 on: October 21, 2018, 01:21:47 PM »
It's so refreshing. Give the oppostion something to worry about, and they can't just throw everyone forward.

If that had been Bruce, Swansea would have been camped in our half for the last 82 minutes.

FTFY

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #841 on: October 21, 2018, 01:36:23 PM »
A nice bonus of it being Smith rather than Henry who got the gig, is that when Bruce finally resurfaces, he won't be able to blather on to his mates in the press about how he lost his job to somebody with next to no coaching experience.  Smith is twice the coach Bruce is, he just hasn't had the big stage to prove it, until now.

I'm twice the coach Bruce is and so's my wife.  Smith must be at least 10 times better.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #842 on: October 21, 2018, 01:36:27 PM »
Is there a link to the post match interview?

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #843 on: October 21, 2018, 01:37:32 PM »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #844 on: October 21, 2018, 01:45:40 PM »
Thank you.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #845 on: October 21, 2018, 01:49:37 PM »

Offline Damo70

« Reply #846 on: October 21, 2018, 02:00:12 PM »
What was all that witchcraft Smith was mentioning in his post match comments? It’ll never catch on!

Christ, I just watched that for the first time and it's almost like he had an actual plan.

Actually, what I really liked is that he has a long term plan for how we're going to improve the football - off the ball first, develop possession over more time. He's planning for having plans on the future. Is this what having a manager's like?

Smith came out with comments that made him sound like an insightful football coach. I could have stood there and spouted the bland football cliches Bruce used to come out with week after week.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #847 on: October 21, 2018, 02:31:45 PM »
It made a refreshing change to “All I ask of them is to roll up their sleeves”.

Signed...Fucking dinosaur

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #848 on: October 21, 2018, 02:36:32 PM »
Or “ that little bit of magic “

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #849 on: October 21, 2018, 03:02:29 PM »

A TV screen smashing comment if ever there was one.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #850 on: October 21, 2018, 04:08:49 PM »

A TV screen smashing comment if ever there was one.

Yeah, but that's the Championship for ya!

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #851 on: October 21, 2018, 04:22:53 PM »
What is this "plan" he speaks of?

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #852 on: October 21, 2018, 04:40:08 PM »
Bruce cliche bingo.

‘Some of them didn’t put their boots on.’

‘I made a mistake today not freshening it up.’  Times 14.

‘There or there or there or thereabouts.’  Repeated over 400 times.

‘The ti’kly bit.’

‘We’ve got the makings of a really decent team.’  Fifteen times a season.

‘After a week it’s a crisis and off wi’ me head.’

‘Forestieri’s a real handful.’  At each weekly press conference.

‘I lost 4, 5, 6, 10 of the team that started the play off final.’

‘The owners have breathed new life in’o the club.’

‘We keep a clean sheet against a very decent Rotherham team and I don’t know worri’m doin.’

Offline jwarry

« Reply #853 on: October 22, 2018, 10:09:18 AM »
Interesting piece in The Times this morning.  Again all encouraging stuff!

"Dean Smith claimed that John Terry had already made his mark as a coach by helping to orchestrate a clean sheet in their first game together at Aston Villa.

Tammy Abraham’s goal was enough to give the new head coach a 1-0 winning start to his reign, against Swansea City on an emotional day when Villa Park paid tribute to Sir Doug Ellis, the former chairman who died on October 11.

But the former Walsall and Brentford manager was quick to share the praise with Terry, a surprise appointment as one of two assistant managers alongside Richard O’Kelly, Smith’s trusted right-hand man.

“He’s had a big input as has Richard O’Kelly,” Smith said. “We’ve worked hard on defending without the ball and defending our penalty box.  JT has been at the top level so he knows is stuff.  He coaches. He passes on tips.

"We have worked very well together and hopefully that will continue.  We discussed it as a coaching team and Richard will take possession and the forwards and JT will break off with the defenders.  Myself and John have done some really good work with the defensive system.  I'm just glad we got the clean sheet and the win."

Smith's attempts to manoeuvre his boyhood club into promotion contention continue tomorrow away to Norwich.  He gradually plansto impose his own style on Bruce's former squad.

Smith knows that Jack Grealish will be a key figure and is looking for more goals, assists and defensive discipline from him.  "He is outstanding" Smith said, "He probably saw me coming and thought 'Brentford are a total footballing team'.  And yet all the work this week has been without the ball.  He has seen a different side to me.  But that's part of his game that needs to get better.  I like the fact he was looking at getting into the penalty box, which is something he can improve upon.  He doesn't have the goals and assists someone of his talent should have - that is for me and the coaching staff to help him work on.  I invite players to ask questions and certainly asks questions.  He has that desire to get better"

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #854 on: October 22, 2018, 10:11:59 AM »
Interesting piece in The Times this morning.  Again all encouraging stuff!

"Dean Smith claimed that John Terry had already made his mark as a coach by helping to orchestrate a clean sheet in their first game together at Aston Villa.

Tammy Abraham’s goal was enough to give the new head coach a 1-0 winning start to his reign, against Swansea City on an emotional day when Villa Park paid tribute to Sir Doug Ellis, the former chairman who died on October 11.

But the former Walsall and Brentford manager was quick to share the praise with Terry, a surprise appointment as one of two assistant managers alongside Richard O’Kelly, Smith’s trusted right-hand man.

“He’s had a big input as has Richard O’Kelly,” Smith said. “We’ve worked hard on defending without the ball and defending our penalty box.  JT has been at the top level so he knows is stuff.  He coaches. He passes on tips.

"We have worked very well together and hopefully that will continue.  We discussed it as a coaching team and Richard will take possession and the forwards and JT will break off with the defenders.  Myself and John have done some really good work with the defensive system.  I'm just glad we got the clean sheet and the win."

Smith's attempts to manoeuvre his boyhood club into promotion contention continue tomorrow away to Norwich.  He gradually plansto impose his own style on Bruce's former squad.

Smith knows that Jack Grealish will be a key figure and is looking for more goals, assists and defensive discipline from him.  "He is outstanding" Smith said, "He probably saw me coming and thought 'Brentford are a total footballing team'.  And yet all the work this week has been without the ball.  He has seen a different side to me.  But that's part of his game that needs to get better.  I like the fact he was looking at getting into the penalty box, which is something he can improve upon.  He doesn't have the goals and assists someone of his talent should have - that is for me and the coaching staff to help him work on.  I invite players to ask questions and certainly asks questions.  He has that desire to get better"

Fucking hell, it's like thinks about his job!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal