collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522235 times)

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #675 on: October 16, 2018, 08:23:36 AM »
What do we sing at him? Two syllables make it a bit tricky...
This of course!

He once-cleaned-seats and he watched-from-the-stands, at the club. Oh Deano.
A Vill-a fan and now he's-the-man. Ooooh Deano.

I'm not bein' flash, It's what I'm built to do - Deano

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #676 on: October 16, 2018, 08:42:23 AM »
If Stevie Me and Lampard walked into jobs, Terry could have done as well.

He's decided to learn from Smith. Smith said he seemed humble and was a bit unsure about what he ought to get involved in, when Smith has said that he's not having that, he wants Terry involved and challenging him.

Smith has worked with 2 assistants at Brentford, one of which was the ex-Bromby manager.

Having somebody who is reportedly very knowledgeable, who happens to command the respect of the squad and know what we're about already isn't the stuff of farce.

He may not work out to be a brilliant coach, but his desire to learn the ropes here and take a back seat is a good thing.

I'm not sure if O'Kelly is Albion (he's a Yam-Yam by the sounds of him) but either way, all three know what this club is and what it's about.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #677 on: October 16, 2018, 08:52:09 AM »

Overseeing a shambles of a transfer window that has left us with one centre half? I'm sure you were all giddy when Lerner and Xia took charge too but lack of effective governance eventually did it for them aswell. The new manager search only adds to the concern as the article articulates well.

John Terry coming in as assistant is a farce and puts unnecessary pressure on Smith from day one. Roy Keane wasn't exactly much of a help to Paul Lambert despite his medals.

How is John Terry coming in a farce? Just because Roy 'I've got no friends because I'm hard' Keane didn't do very well doesn't mean that Terry will be.

In fact, it's pretty clear that the influence that Terry had last year was one of the main reasons we finished as high as we did, without him involved who knows what would have happened with Bruce in charge.

As for the Centre Half thing, well I'd argue that is one of the key reasons why we now have a Director of Football and a new structure.

The OP highlighted Terrys medals as a big positive. The Keane example (And numerous others) proves that being a top top player does not lend to success on the sideline. Far from it usually.

Far from it? Despite the lists that have been done to death showing there are plenty who've done very well. Have you not seen the reports of the help that Terry was to Grealish? Or the reports that say he was a great dressing room influence? His attitude to fitness and training? Is Keane your only example?

Medals do mean something; success. The question is whether that success is understood and the experience utilised correctly. There are plenty of examples of it working elsewhere too, and we're only using him as one of our assistants.

Go through the 92 managers in the league and see how many of them had stellar playing careers. The highest ranked British one is Mark Hughes and arguably very fortunate to still have a job. Medals as a player mean absolutely nothing, Klopp, Emery, Mourinho, Sarri all achieved very little as players.

To pick a handful of players of Terry's stature; Robson, Adams, Ince, Shearer. All leaders on the pitch but clowns on the sideline. The English game has been plagued by ex players being parachuted into management roles based on their playing reputation alone. Which is why it's great to see Dean Smith get a chance but Terry doesn't fit at all. The first pressure that Smith faces and Terrys buddies in the media will be pushing his chances of taking over.

Assistant, yes hopefully he will behave himself and be very much under the radar. But this is the same guy as a player that tried to lead a coup against Capello at the 2010WC and publicly get his mate Joe Cole in the side. Not to mention the numerous off field escapades he has been involved in that speak very poorly of his character. Great player but that will matter for little trying to organise our back four on the training field.

I would say leading a coup, to use your words, against Capello was a good thing and is the sort of thing a captain should do if things are going very wrong

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #678 on: October 16, 2018, 09:19:21 AM »

He's decided to learn from Smith. Smith said he seemed humble and was a bit unsure about what he ought to get involved in, when Smith has said that he's not having that, he wants Terry involved and challenging him.

Smith has worked with 2 assistants at Brentford, one of which was the ex-Bromby manager.

Having somebody who is reportedly very knowledgeable, who happens to command the respect of the squad and know what we're about already isn't the stuff of farce.

He may not work out to be a brilliant coach, but his desire to learn the ropes here and take a back seat is a good thing.

I'm not sure if O'Kelly is Albion (he's a Yam-Yam by the sounds of him) but either way, all three know what this club is and what it's about.

I saw Richard O’Kelly working with the youth team at Albion when my eldest was there many moons ago and I was very impressed. I didn’t meet anyone who had a bad word to say about him.  What you see is what you get ,he is considered, calm and articulate but absolutely tells it as it is. Dean Smith said yesterday that he values him because he challenges him and I can see that. He’s no shrinking violet or yes man but he says his piece in a positive way. On top of all that he seems a thoroughly decent human being. As regards being a yam yam , I wouldn’t worry, nobody’s perfect !

Offline Rodders

• GM : 30.08.2024
« Reply #679 on: October 16, 2018, 09:39:05 AM »
Just watched the interview. Ohhhhh Deano! He had me at, "I want the players to express themselves on the pitch and the fans to enjoy the football."

He also gave some insight into his relationship with Terry in that he coached his brother for three years and that they got to know each other well during that period. I'm not worried about the notion of Terry's having been parachuted in.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #680 on: October 16, 2018, 09:45:50 AM »

I'm not sure Terry has his coaching badges does he?  If he doesn't, then the kind of role he is in now gives him the opportunity to finish those off while getting coaching experience at the same time.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #681 on: October 16, 2018, 11:49:05 AM »
I noted with interest whilst viewing the picture gallery on the OS, Dean was pictured standing next to a tactics board with the title 'Attacking set pieces'.  There was absolutely nothing written down on it.  Another legacy of the Bruce era.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #682 on: October 16, 2018, 11:57:50 AM »
John Terry has not been parachuted in based on his paying career. Whatever the full reason why he has been given the job, I suspect that high up on the list is the fact that the team has fallen to pieces since the day he left.

Plus the fact with his knowledge of the squad we can hopefully hit the ground running. Promotion is still the target for the season, lest we forget.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #683 on: October 16, 2018, 12:09:23 PM »
I simply don't understand the hostility towards him. We haven't had any semblance of leadership since he left. Hopefully he and Dean will restore that quality and generally improve the way we play.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #684 on: October 16, 2018, 12:52:48 PM »
John Terry has not been parachuted in based on his paying career. Whatever the full reason why he has been given the job, I suspect that high up on the list is the fact that the team has fallen to pieces since the day he left.

Plus the fact with his knowledge of the squad we can hopefully hit the ground running. Promotion is still the target for the season, lest we forget.

It is one of the smartest things Mr Smith could have done to be honest.  The press as usual trying to make something out of nothing. 

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #685 on: October 16, 2018, 01:06:15 PM »
I get the impression Terry wants to learn, will be very respectful, and will add value to our overall performance.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #686 on: October 16, 2018, 01:09:50 PM »
 No one was happier than me when Brucey got the chop
and I’m delighted with Dean Smith

but all the things that are said after the press conference

‘He gets the Villa’
‘Proper football man’
‘He’ll sort the mess out’
‘He comes over well’
‘He’s very likeable’
‘He knows this league inside out’
‘this is the biggest job he’s ever had’
‘He’s looks really happy to be here’
‘He talks a lot of sense’

every one of them were said about Bruce as well
it’s what happens on the pitch that counts
i not that bothered what they say anymore and that goes for players and CEO’s as well, I just want to see the proof on the pitch

that’s why I’m more than hopeful with Smith because his track record is attractive attacking football
It’s not something we are making fit or hoping for, it’s what he does

I just want to see it now

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #687 on: October 16, 2018, 01:54:23 PM »
Deano

Great interview.
Sounds proud as punch.

I think he'll have shivers down his spine when he walks out Saturday
I had shivers just watching this!

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #688 on: October 16, 2018, 04:35:20 PM »
Having watched the press conference and the interview with Terry and O'Kelly it sounds very much like we have, eventually, put a modern structure in place and we're trying to fix the culture at the top level of the club. I wish it had happened 2 years ago and it might not work out at the first attempt but this is definitely a big step in the right direction.

What I'd now like to see is an interview with Pitarch and for him to talk about modernising the scouting system and putting much more faith into analytics. It will never replace watching players/teams but it can highlight things to look for and help set a focus, rather than the aimless recruitment strategy we've had for the last couple of years.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #689 on: October 16, 2018, 05:53:29 PM »
Well, if Dean Smith the Vila fan from Great Barr with John Terry by his side can't get them fired up, I don't know what can.
Fuck that .... I have gone right off him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal