collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1521839 times)

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #660 on: October 15, 2018, 11:07:23 PM »

Overseeing a shambles of a transfer window that has left us with one centre half? I'm sure you were all giddy when Lerner and Xia took charge too but lack of effective governance eventually did it for them aswell. The new manager search only adds to the concern as the article articulates well.

John Terry coming in as assistant is a farce and puts unnecessary pressure on Smith from day one. Roy Keane wasn't exactly much of a help to Paul Lambert despite his medals.

How is John Terry coming in a farce? Just because Roy 'I've got no friends because I'm hard' Keane didn't do very well doesn't mean that Terry will be.

In fact, it's pretty clear that the influence that Terry had last year was one of the main reasons we finished as high as we did, without him involved who knows what would have happened with Bruce in charge.

As for the Centre Half thing, well I'd argue that is one of the key reasons why we now have a Director of Football and a new structure.

The OP highlighted Terrys medals as a big positive. The Keane example (And numerous others) proves that being a top top player does not lend to success on the sideline. Far from it usually.

Far from it? Despite the lists that have been done to death showing there are plenty who've done very well. Have you not seen the reports of the help that Terry was to Grealish? Or the reports that say he was a great dressing room influence? His attitude to fitness and training? Is Keane your only example?

Medals do mean something; success. The question is whether that success is understood and the experience utilised correctly. There are plenty of examples of it working elsewhere too, and we're only using him as one of our assistants.

Go through the 92 managers in the league and see how many of them had stellar playing careers. The highest ranked British one is Mark Hughes and arguably very fortunate to still have a job. Medals as a player mean absolutely nothing, Klopp, Emery, Mourinho, Sarri all achieved very little as players.

To pick a handful of players of Terry's stature; Robson, Adams, Ince, Shearer. All leaders on the pitch but clowns on the sideline. The English game has been plagued by ex players being parachuted into management roles based on their playing reputation alone. Which is why it's great to see Dean Smith get a chance but Terry doesn't fit at all. The first pressure that Smith faces and Terrys buddies in the media will be pushing his chances of taking over.

Assistant, yes hopefully he will behave himself and be very much under the radar. But this is the same guy as a player that tried to lead a coup against Capello at the 2010WC and publicly get his mate Joe Cole in the side. Not to mention the numerous off field escapades he has been involved in that speak very poorly of his character. Great player but that will matter for little trying to organise our back four on the training field.

Offline Iamkmkm

« Reply #661 on: October 15, 2018, 11:07:59 PM »
Seems like an honest man, it feels really good to have a birmingham born villa fan as a manager.

Iam really exicted too see what he can achieve with Villa.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #662 on: October 15, 2018, 11:31:50 PM »
Why doesn't Terry fit? Who are Terry's buddies in the media?

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #663 on: October 15, 2018, 11:44:25 PM »
John Terry has not been parachuted in based on his paying career. Whatever the full reason why he has been given the job, I suspect that high up on the list is the fact that the team has fallen to pieces since the day he left.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #664 on: October 15, 2018, 11:47:51 PM »
John Terry has not been parachuted in based on his paying career. Whatever the full reason why he has been given the job, I suspect that high up on the list is the fact that the team has fallen to pieces since the day he left.
Playing career?

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #665 on: October 15, 2018, 11:56:03 PM »

Overseeing a shambles of a transfer window that has left us with one centre half? I'm sure you were all giddy when Lerner and Xia took charge too but lack of effective governance eventually did it for them aswell. The new manager search only adds to the concern as the article articulates well.

John Terry coming in as assistant is a farce and puts unnecessary pressure on Smith from day one. Roy Keane wasn't exactly much of a help to Paul Lambert despite his medals.

How is John Terry coming in a farce? Just because Roy 'I've got no friends because I'm hard' Keane didn't do very well doesn't mean that Terry will be.

In fact, it's pretty clear that the influence that Terry had last year was one of the main reasons we finished as high as we did, without him involved who knows what would have happened with Bruce in charge.

As for the Centre Half thing, well I'd argue that is one of the key reasons why we now have a Director of Football and a new structure.

The OP highlighted Terrys medals as a big positive. The Keane example (And numerous others) proves that being a top top player does not lend to success on the sideline. Far from it usually.

Far from it? Despite the lists that have been done to death showing there are plenty who've done very well. Have you not seen the reports of the help that Terry was to Grealish? Or the reports that say he was a great dressing room influence? His attitude to fitness and training? Is Keane your only example?

Medals do mean something; success. The question is whether that success is understood and the experience utilised correctly. There are plenty of examples of it working elsewhere too, and we're only using him as one of our assistants.

Go through the 92 managers in the league and see how many of them had stellar playing careers. The highest ranked British one is Mark Hughes and arguably very fortunate to still have a job. Medals as a player mean absolutely nothing, Klopp, Emery, Mourinho, Sarri all achieved very little as players.

To pick a handful of players of Terry's stature; Robson, Adams, Ince, Shearer. All leaders on the pitch but clowns on the sideline. The English game has been plagued by ex players being parachuted into management roles based on their playing reputation alone. Which is why it's great to see Dean Smith get a chance but Terry doesn't fit at all. The first pressure that Smith faces and Terrys buddies in the media will be pushing his chances of taking over.

Assistant, yes hopefully he will behave himself and be very much under the radar. But this is the same guy as a player that tried to lead a coup against Capello at the 2010WC and publicly get his mate Joe Cole in the side. Not to mention the numerous off field escapades he has been involved in that speak very poorly of his character. Great player but that will matter for little trying to organise our back four on the training field.

I disagree. Far from plagued, we have nowhere near enough of our top players going into management or coaching. If you take out Ferguson protégés, there's, like, virtually fucking none.

You're probably right in that those that do get parachuted in do so on name alone, but Terry gives the impression of being serious about this, that he's looking at this as career progression rather than just something to fill his days now he's stopped playing. I hope he blasts all of our expectations sky fucking high.

Offline VancouverLion

• GM : 24.01.2016
« Reply #666 on: October 16, 2018, 12:09:33 AM »
I liked "I will take advice and I will take opinions but I will make my decision and when we walk out it's our decision" . A bit of Cloughie there.
I picked up on this too, brilliant stuff.

Listening to Geno by the Dexy's and reading this thread full of optimism, let the good times roll, I for one can't wait!

In Deano we trust.
UTV

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #667 on: October 16, 2018, 05:53:11 AM »
I liked "I will take advice and I will take opinions but I will make my decision and when we walk out it's our decision" . A bit of Cloughie there.
I picked up on this too, brilliant stuff.

Listening to Geno by the Dexy's and reading this thread full of optimism, let the good times roll, I for one can't wait!

In Deano we trust.
UTV

Quite. I'm convinced this is the right guy.

Very excited.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #668 on: October 16, 2018, 06:41:38 AM »
Same here.

Offline kieron

« Reply #669 on: October 16, 2018, 06:55:00 AM »
What do we sing at him? Two syllables make it a bit tricky...
This of course!

He once-cleaned-seats and he watched-from-the-stands, at the club. Oh Deano.
A Vill-a fan and now he's-the-man. Ooooh Deano.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #670 on: October 16, 2018, 07:47:29 AM »

I'm guessing your a glass is half empty kinda guy? You seem to be working really hard to find negatives while the rest of us are excitedly looking forward to the future with hope in our hearts again. There's no real proof that this new set up will work, just hope. And that's enough for now. So much so that I'm taking my brother to the match on Saturday who hasn't been to a game in 8 years since he got knocked over and was seriously injured. We're both looking forward to a great  day out on Saturday. It may all go tits up who knows? But you can't help getting excited by what might be happening at Villa Park. Well most of us can't.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 08:10:13 AM by The Edge »

Online Clampy

« Reply #671 on: October 16, 2018, 07:54:50 AM »
To be honest, I'm wondering how Terry is going to fit in with this as well, especially with Richard O'Kelly there but let's see how it goes. Hopefully, it will be a massive success.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #672 on: October 16, 2018, 07:56:56 AM »
Why doesn't Terry fit? Who are Terry's buddies in the media?
Terry most definitely fits IMO. He’s one of the “new breed” of ex players who are thinking about the game, played under and learnt from the coaches who have brought the kind of football that is exciting to watch. That’s why IMO he, with Lampard and Henry, will do well in the role.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #673 on: October 16, 2018, 07:58:08 AM »
I wouldn't say that Terry has a lot of media buddies.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #674 on: October 16, 2018, 08:21:51 AM »
To be honest, I'm wondering how Terry is going to fit in with this as well, especially with Richard O'Kelly there but let's see how it goes. Hopefully, it will be a massive success.

exactly where I am with it to

he's a strong character,
 he's seen his buddies go straight into number 1 spots, and he is joint number 2 with a up and comer who's done well at a couple of small clubs

I'm all for it though, he knows the players already and is a strong motivational leader, so if it works it will be fantastic for us as long as it lasts

but no one really knows how it will play out and we are all surmising

The biggest change for me is we have gone from no hope to hope

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal