collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1543700 times)

Offline boozey182

• GM : PCM
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #3855 on: February 21, 2019, 01:28:17 PM »
Boozy's post is very good, but what is it with the current trend of calling everyone cowards? 

Hourihane may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I really don't see how limitations as a footballer makes him a coward.

I thought the same. He's gotten a lot of abuse on here but that's a proper insult. 

I don't think I meant it to be as cutting as it probably comes across. I was basically was trying to say that I actually think he's a decent footballer, and probably a good professional. I think the reason it's not working for him is a mental one; I don't think he's tough enough to deal with the responsibility that is being thrust upon him. He finds space when the opposition have the ball, and tightly marks the nearest player when our defenders need someone to give it to. He does also pull out of fifty-fifty challenges, which does add weight to the 'coward' label, but maybe that is a bit harsh. I dunno. Like I said, I don't think he was ever supposed to be playing this role, for a club as big as us.

Ideally, if he's still here next year, you'd have him on the bench to bring on when you are on the front foot. He did excellently coming off the bench earlier in the season, but the conditions need to be exactly right for him to influence a game.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #3856 on: February 21, 2019, 06:49:01 PM »
... Smith responded straight away with ‘togetherness’ which strikes me as a strange answer to give....

I don't find it strange. Smith appears to be struggling to bring all his players on the journey he wants them to be on - the high-energy, pressing game with lots of pass and move. Hourihane, Whelan, BB, Kodjia, Adomah, El Ghazi ... all of these seem to be struggling to maintain the energy levels or motivation to do it; hence the likely clear-out in June.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #3857 on: February 22, 2019, 09:23:45 PM »
Boozy's post is very good, but what is it with the current trend of calling everyone cowards? 

Hourihane may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I really don't see how limitations as a footballer makes him a coward.

I thought the same. He's gotten a lot of abuse on here but that's a proper insult.
Well jumping out of challenges as often as he  has recently allways has the potential to attract that type of comment.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #3858 on: February 22, 2019, 10:32:08 PM »
Does anyone know where the 'Dean Smith' thread is?

Offline Diablo

« Reply #3859 on: February 23, 2019, 01:36:06 PM »
... Smith responded straight away with ‘togetherness’ which strikes me as a strange answer to give....

I don't find it strange. Smith appears to be struggling to bring all his players on the journey he wants them to be on - the high-energy, pressing game with lots of pass and move. Hourihane, Whelan, BB, Kodjia, Adomah, El Ghazi ... all of these seem to be struggling to maintain the energy levels or motivation to do it; hence the likely clear-out in June.
Mings also said something similar in his last interview as did Elphick prior to that (a togetherness theme seems to have emerged).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 01:38:47 PM by Diablo »

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #3860 on: February 23, 2019, 01:49:33 PM »
remember that advert

‘We wanna be together’

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #3861 on: February 23, 2019, 01:57:35 PM »

Well jumping out of challenges as often as he  has recently allways has the potential to attract that type of comment.

chrisw1, you were a.staunch defender of Westwood,if I remember correctly. And now Hourihane? Bizarre.

Coward or no coward, Hourihane is dreadful. We are in the position we are now because we've accepted inept players.

Westwood, Hourihane..not good enough. Add Whelan to that list. He'll be picked today. He'll be shit. We'll lose. We'll moan. And rightly so.

They need hounding out. All of them.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #3862 on: February 23, 2019, 02:00:55 PM »
Yeah let's hound out players we don't like, I don't see any downside to that idea.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #3863 on: February 23, 2019, 02:07:33 PM »
Me neither.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3864 on: February 23, 2019, 02:27:34 PM »
It's a daft idea and never comes out well.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #3865 on: February 23, 2019, 03:35:23 PM »
fanor not Dean won't survive much more of this shit.

Offline john e

« Reply #3866 on: February 23, 2019, 03:45:51 PM »

chrisw1, you were a.staunch defender of Westwood,if I remember correctly. And now Hourihane? Bizarre.

Coward or no coward, Hourihane is dreadful. We are in the position we are now because we've accepted inept players.

Westwood, Hourihane..not good enough. Add Whelan to that list. He'll be picked today. He'll be shit. We'll lose. We'll moan. And rightly so.

Westwood just finished on the winning side against spuds, in the premier league

can't see Hourihane ever doing that

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #3867 on: February 23, 2019, 06:49:52 PM »
Whe

Whelan had a good game today. How do you know Hourihane won’t be in a team that beats Spurs, odd thing to say

Offline manic-road

« Reply #3868 on: February 23, 2019, 06:53:29 PM »
Whe

Whelan had a good game today. How do you know Hourihane won’t be in a team that beats Spurs, odd thing to say

Three spires you don't get it do you? Villa fans always look for a scapegoat when things aren't going well.

Offline john e

« Reply #3869 on: February 24, 2019, 09:36:10 AM »
Whe

Three spires you don't get it do you? Villa fans always look for a scapegoat when things aren't going well.
e

spoilt for choice at the moment

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal