collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1523054 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #3825 on: February 19, 2019, 11:28:57 AM »
Nice post Boozey.
As we are talking next season, my 3 wishes are.
Put the Team in a Villa shirt.
Stop playing LBIA.
And get rid of all the wasters and misfits.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3826 on: February 19, 2019, 11:31:58 AM »
If it was about the amount of running they are doing, why has Mcginn managed to play mostly every game since he's been here? He runs more than most. It's a load of Twitter bollocks which only the gullible fall for.

Firstly, just to clarify, I was talking about the amount of running on a daily basis in training.

With regards to someone like McGinn who would already be well-accustomed to doing a lot of running, he wouldn't get a stress fracture if Villa's training load suddenly increased because his body (i.e. bone density) would have already adapted over a long period of time to cope with the kinds of running loads he does in matches (and presumably in training at previous clubs)

The people most at risk would be those who are unaccustomed to the kinds of running loads they are now being (hypothetically) asked to do,  and / or those with some kind of biomechanical predisposition to getting a stress fracture. Not everyone's body is the same and not everyone's running pattern is the same.

Tibial stress fractures are very common in army recruits but whole regiments don't get them at the same time - but if quite a few recruits are all getting injured at once, you'd want to take a look at the training load. But you wouldn't say "there isn't a problem because Corporal Jones hasn't got injured".
Ok I get that your qualified to speak on this particular subject as you sound very clued up on it so I'm guessing your in the profession. Therefore you have most of us at a disadvantage. But surely a football club like Aston Villa will have their own medical staff to advise the coaching staff and point out that their training methods were putting our players at risk? These aren't army recruits they're highly paid footballers as such the club is duty bound to get them to peak fitness levels and performance. Bielsa at Leeds is legendary for his lung bursting double training sessions and it seems to be paying dividends at Leeds.
If what your saying is correct and our coaches are causing our players to get injured then we have some serious problems with the set up at our club and our owners Edens and Sawiris must be piss poor at running football clubs.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 11:49:47 AM by The Edge »

Offline McGraths Dry Cleaning

« Reply #3827 on: February 19, 2019, 12:20:32 PM »
If it was about the amount of running they are doing, why has Mcginn managed to play mostly every game since he's been here? He runs more than most. It's a load of Twitter bollocks which only the gullible fall for.

Firstly, just to clarify, I was talking about the amount of running on a daily basis in training.

With regards to someone like McGinn who would already be well-accustomed to doing a lot of running, he wouldn't get a stress fracture if Villa's training load suddenly increased because his body (i.e. bone density) would have already adapted over a long period of time to cope with the kinds of running loads he does in matches (and presumably in training at previous clubs)

The people most at risk would be those who are unaccustomed to the kinds of running loads they are now being (hypothetically) asked to do,  and / or those with some kind of biomechanical predisposition to getting a stress fracture. Not everyone's body is the same and not everyone's running pattern is the same.

Tibial stress fractures are very common in army recruits but whole regiments don't get them at the same time - but if quite a few recruits are all getting injured at once, you'd want to take a look at the training load. But you wouldn't say "there isn't a problem because Corporal Jones hasn't got injured".
Ok I get that your qualified to speak on this particular subject as you sound very clued up on it so I'm guessing your in the profession. Therefore you have most of us at a disadvantage. But surely a football club like Aston Villa will have their own medical staff to advise the coaching staff and point out that their training methods were putting our players at risk? These aren't army recruits they're highly paid footballers as such the club is duty bound to get them to peak fitness levels and performance. Bielsa at Leeds is legendary for his lung bursting double training sessions and it seems to be paying dividends at Leeds.
If what your saying is correct and our coaches are causing our players to get injured then we have some serious problems with the set up at our club and our owners Edens and Sawiris must be piss poor at running football clubs.

I contend Villa is dysfunctional at every level so having poor coaches/medical/fitness would fit my view (that is not supported by anything other than watching Villa regularly and seeing them knackered and unable to do basics like passing, throw ins and moving when they don't have the ball).

I'd never thought about the injury thing but now its been mentioned we do seem to get a lot injured in training.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #3828 on: February 19, 2019, 12:22:41 PM »
When are people going to learn that Twitter is not Reuters and full of fluff and bullshit?*

What about when it's from Reuters' Twitter account?

Offline Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #3829 on: February 19, 2019, 12:30:57 PM »
Perhaps they are not used to doing as much running as they did when they had to circumnavigate SB at Bodymoor Heath.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #3830 on: February 19, 2019, 12:37:01 PM »
over the recent seasons it does seem to matter how many fitness coaches we have, our players just never look fit!

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #3831 on: February 19, 2019, 01:02:34 PM »
I’ve no idea what goes on in training however since Smith arrived, the number of players suffering serious / long term injuries not related to an incident in a match seems unusually high;   

Jack
Axel
Nyland
Carroll
Davis?
Lansbury?
BB?

Not sure of the last 3. Was off the top of my head. There could be more.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #3832 on: February 19, 2019, 01:36:33 PM »
I’ve no idea what goes on in training however since Smith arrived, the number of players suffering serious / long term injuries not related to an incident in a match seems unusually high;   

Jack
Axel
Nyland
Carroll
Davis?
Lansbury?
BB?

Not sure of the last 3. Was off the top of my head. There could be more.

I expect there are two issues here. It tends to be the standard when a new manager comes in to try to improve fitness levels. The likes of Redknapp and Pardew would the types to preach about this early into their reigns at various clubs, in their case to deflect from possibly poor results and to get their mates in as fitness coaches. I don't think/hope Smith would have such an agenda but midway during the season is not the time for such a transformation with players who patently aren't suited to it. We may well be paying for that now.

The bigger issue for me is that AVFC seem way behind other clubs in sport science and management of load on young players. The likes of RHM, Green and Davis continue to struggle with soft tissue muscle injuries. If it were one player that could may be explained but I think there is a fundamental issue there that pre dates Bruce and Smith.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3833 on: February 19, 2019, 03:34:55 PM »
All well and good, but when you're contemplating theories based on information straight out of an attention seeking fantasist imagination, then the quality of your theory is diminished somewhat.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #3834 on: February 19, 2019, 03:46:40 PM »
All well and good, but when you're contemplating theories based on information straight out of an attention seeking fantasist imagination, then the quality of your theory is diminished somewhat.
That's what im getting at. Thanks for putting it more succinctly than i managed.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #3835 on: February 19, 2019, 04:18:51 PM »
I was lost at the theory of squarebashing being the same as fitness training. 

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #3836 on: February 19, 2019, 06:34:09 PM »
It's hard for everybody at the moment. I would hesitate to blame our fans for being a bit twitchy over our recent form, because quite frankly, we've been here far too often recently. And the fact that we're still here shows you that it has never ended well. We're nervous, we have been burned too many times recently, and we're finding (pretty much blind) faith difficult to project at the moment. Plus, more specifically, we know that the rest of this season fading away to insignificance means that we're almost certainly going to lose our best home grown player in a generation. And that really hurts.

So the atmosphere is fraught, to say the least. It's not as 'toxic' as has been suggested elsewhere, although it has taken a worrying turn in the last week or so, and we desperately need something to get behind. The Sheffield United comeback should have been it, but the result (and performance) in midweek burst that balloon before it was inflated - Saturday just sliced a knife through it. I'm not sure that this is a situation the fans can drag the team out of though - but like the desperate housewife offering another 'one more chance', we just need to see some evidence that things will be different this time.

It's hard for Dean Smith as well. We all know that Bruce had quite a few runs like this that he survived; in fact, one was always around the corner with him, and you could argue that if we'd have got rid of him after the first one, we would be in a much better position now. Or that we wouldn't. Smith seems to have the unwavering support of the board, and that seems like a good thing (although that relies on more faith from our point of view). I don't think he's worrying about his job's security, just on how to do it well. He's sticking to the type of football he wants us to play, no matter what the results and whether the current squad are capable of doing it. Whether this is a sensible first step to turning the ethos of the entire club around, or recklessly stubborn behaviour from a manager unable to adapt depends on your point of view I guess. Personally, I think it's the former, but I would be lying if I wasn't concerned that there might be something in the latter. I don't think he expected the players to struggle so much with a higher tempo.

It's also hard for the players. They were, largely, assembled by a manager who (I reckon) was an absolute dream to work with. You wouldn't see him much during the week, and he always seemed to want to be your best mate - a nice bloke that wanted you just to do your thing. All of a sudden you need to be fitter, play outside your comfort zone, work harder all week (assuming training has become more intense), take responsibility for all aspects of the game, and, for the last couple of months, cover for the best player in the league. It's tough, and they're struggling. Conor Hourihane is probably getting the most stick at the moment, and while I've never been a fan of his, I don't think he's a bad professional. I imagine he probably works hard at training, and tries to be better. Ultimately, though, I think he's a coward, who was never physically or mentally capable of playing for a club as big as Aston Villa. And I think he knows that. He didn't trudge off the pitch on Saturday as a petulant protest at his reception, he did it because he's broken, exhausted and exposed. He was never meant to be here, playing this type of football. And the same goes for a lot of them. You can't train that out of people in a few months.

So what happens now? Well, barring a miracle, we'll be in this league again next season. As others have said, it will be the busiest summer we've had for over 20 years. So many players need to go, and a few will go that we desperately want to keep, and I can see a lot of work going on with the backroom staff as well (I note Terry was at the Chelsea game last night, when our reserves were playing at Bescott - something has changed since he first arrived, whether it's his decision or Smith's). It will be a recruitment drive like many of us have never seen before, and we need to get it right. It's already started. I really hope we focus on the mental side of our new signings. Tyrone Mings seems to get it. More of him, please.

There will be no excuses next season, including 'time to bed in'. Sorry. You get a preseason and then we start winning. Or I'm afraid that the current 'toxic' atmosphere will be looked back on with great fondness. What will help a great deal, though, is to take with us some goodwill from the next few months. So we need to find a way to stop this rot; a fluky deflection in the last minute, a sending off for the opposition, a dodgy penalty, a goalkeeping error in our favour. Or maybe just our best player being fit again. I want to look back on the rest of the season, being able to say to my son "when he started getting a tune out of that pile of rubbish, I knew we had the right manager". Come on Dean, you've got this.

Reading this made me want to stand and ovate! Very well said.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #3837 on: February 19, 2019, 06:41:24 PM »
Well written boozey, you've actually made me look forward to next season. We only have to look at Bristol City. Johnson was nearly fired for losing something like 6 on the trot, I was amazed to hear that they have recently won 9 on the bounce, so it can be done. Something does seem up with the Terry appointment, maybe shoe horning him in wasn't the best idea, i'm sure something will come out in the wash during the summer.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #3838 on: February 19, 2019, 06:57:26 PM »
Terrific, accurate post Boozey.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3839 on: February 19, 2019, 07:07:14 PM »
Good post Boozy.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal