collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Gareth
[Today at 08:27:22 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:34:31 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Gareth
[Today at 08:27:22 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:26:47 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 08:15:22 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1523172 times)

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #3120 on: February 11, 2019, 06:07:14 PM »
The full backs are crap, but they are made to look worse by the fact that the wide men don't track back properly to prevent them from getting isolated one on one.

Not sure whether that's by accident or design.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #3121 on: February 11, 2019, 06:12:41 PM »
You forgot Guilbert whom we bought but can't  play until next season.

it will seem like a new signing come next season

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #3122 on: February 11, 2019, 06:18:43 PM »
We've got one player who has come in and improved on the player that was there before, in Mings.  Kalinic has been every bit as disappointing as Nyland, Hause had the worst debut ever and Carroll isn't going to be fit for two weeks, and has been widely derided by Swansea fans.  All the time we're lining up with Hutton and Taylor at full back and Hourihane as a defensive midfielder.  What part of that is "better than average"?

Smith Out

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3123 on: February 11, 2019, 06:37:11 PM »
We've got one player who has come in and improved on the player that was there before, in Mings.  Kalinic has been every bit as disappointing as Nyland, Hause had the worst debut ever and Carroll isn't going to be fit for two weeks, and has been widely derided by Swansea fans.  All the time we're lining up with Hutton and Taylor at full back and Hourihane as a defensive midfielder.  What part of that is "better than average"?

Smith Out

We’d still have that chump Bruce if it was up to you.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #3124 on: February 11, 2019, 06:43:35 PM »

I didn't see anyone complaining about Kalinic when he signed - Including you.  He has improved the GK position although currently not to the tune of £7 million.

Which Championship clubs hag a better window than we did then?

Ever considered that there was only so much money available and only so many players we could bring in without some going the other way?

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #3125 on: February 11, 2019, 08:23:16 PM »
Or the players we do want are not available so we will get through this season and nit rush into pointless Bruce type signings again?

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #3126 on: February 11, 2019, 08:33:43 PM »

Smith Out

We wont have either if it's up to you and you quick trigger finger

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #3127 on: February 11, 2019, 08:34:45 PM »
Or the players we do want are not available so we will get through this season and nit rush into pointless Bruce type signings again?

100% spot on.

Idiots are complaining that we have not improved the squad with the players we signed in January and then on the other hand, they are complaining that we didn't bring in RBs & LBs galore.  They would be the first ones moaning if these players didn't improve the squad either.  Talk about damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #3128 on: February 11, 2019, 08:39:12 PM »
I think our dealings in January had more to do with next season than this.  Take the fullback positions where it is clear that two new players for the future are required.  As it is difficult to bring in players you want in January, you are left with players that are not who you really want.  The alternative are loans, which was generally our policy.  We could have brought in another loan at left back but the Club look as though they decided to keep the money for the summer.

The interesting thing for me was the number of young players sent out on loan.  We could have kept a couple with a view to bringing them in towards the end of the season but the Club seems to have decided that it is better for the future to push them out on loan.

I do wonder whether there has been a bit of easing off on the push for promotion after the injuries started to take effect.

One reading of that situation is that they have been sent out on loan to get some game time with a view to them being involved next season.   

I think they have been sent out to kick start their development as they were stagnating here.  Some will not step up and these will be sold, the others will form a key part of the 1st team squad next season.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3129 on: February 11, 2019, 08:49:59 PM »

Smith Out

We wont have either if it's up to you and you quick trigger finger

Wasn’t aware that I’d either taken over as Villa owner or decided to sack Dean Smith.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #3130 on: February 11, 2019, 08:51:09 PM »
I wish I had your confidence omvf that we will have young players of our own forming a key part of our 1st team squad next season.  I very much hope that you are right but I have a nagging suspicion that bringing on our own young players is going to remain a hope rather than an expectation.  Putting his faith in unproven players is a leap DS may not be ready for yet.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #3131 on: February 11, 2019, 11:20:36 PM »
I wish I had your confidence omvf that we will have young players of our own forming a key part of our 1st team squad next season.  I very much hope that you are right but I have a nagging suspicion that bringing on our own young players is going to remain a hope rather than an expectation.  Putting his faith in unproven players is a leap DS may not be ready for yet.

Simply depends if they're good enough or not. They need to start going away on loan to these league one/two clubs and start ripping it up at those levels so we can't ignore then and have to play them when they return.

Different level but Leicester sent Barnes to WBA, he was great up to xmas and now he's gone back to Leicester and is starting games against best teams in the league and playing well (even if he can't shoot).

That is how you use the loan system. Barnes also had loan spells at Milton Keynes and Barnsley in previous seasons. He is only 8 months older than O'Hare is.

Already I'm looking and Hepburn-Murphy hasn't score yet for Cambridge in 4 games against some of the weaker teams in league 2. It is a little concerning.

Green did o.k at Pompey and I'd like to see Mitch Clark more involved in the 18 next season but tbh I don't see this golden generation of youngsters to start playing compared to what we've had in the past.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 11:32:19 PM by SoccerHQ »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3132 on: February 11, 2019, 11:23:05 PM »
O'Hare man of the match the weekend.

Intelligent and finding space and slow kicked to pieces by Exeter. So say the Carlise fans.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #3133 on: February 11, 2019, 11:24:40 PM »

Intelligent and finding space and slow kicked to pieces by Exeter. So say the Carlise fans.

Jack got kicked when he played for Notts County and look how he progressed....fingers crossed O'Hare can progress in a similar way
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 12:17:35 PM by West Derby Villan »

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #3134 on: February 11, 2019, 11:28:46 PM »

O'Hare's got a chance, just needs to play some games. Should've gone out on loan last season so lost a year of his development.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal