collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:52:23 AM]

Do it thr Frnch way - Lill away by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 02:14:03 AM]

Leander Dendoncker - On Loan at Napoli by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:44:12 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Drummond
[Today at 01:15:54 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 12:17:15 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by tomd2103
[April 17, 2024, 11:32:24 PM]

Brighton (a) by sonyhill
[April 17, 2024, 11:15:10 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulTheVillan
[April 17, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1535851 times)

Offline Villa75

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #2655 on: January 21, 2019, 11:27:41 AM »
I wasn't saying that is the ideal way. Although, when we first came down, it should have been possible with a decent manager.

It was suggested, by a poster, that they would rather not go up if it meant struggling and getting beat each week.

I was saying I would love to go up in any way possible and grab the millions to help us rebuild properly.

Parachute payments end this season, and restrictions on our spending are going to be tight. Unless we happen to find an amazing manager, capable of minor miracles, and/or suddenly find a plethora of young talent, we are likely to be here for many, many years.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #2656 on: January 21, 2019, 01:57:37 PM »
Just my thoughts,but the expectations and demands of the Villa fans places massive pressure on any manager .YES we are a big club and have a great history but that does not give us a divine right to be in the top league - it's plain to see we have been mis managed for a very long time and there is no quick fix and the fans need to understand that  - I also think that the financial turmoil last summer was underestimated by some or has certainly been soon forgotten.
It's hard to admit but we need to look at the way in which some of the so called smaller clubs have achieved promotion and sustained their position - again personally  I am astounded that the Villa have managed to be outdone on and off the pitch by clubs like Bournemouth,Brighton, Burnley, Huddersfield et al.
None of them spending vast amounts while we have( and still do) waste millions season on season on mostly overpaid players who are not earning what they are paid - I am sure the new owners know what they are doing and we need to show patience - if this lot fail I dread to think what will happen to my beloved club
Finally -Dean Smith - Is he the real deal? Only time will tell.
Is being a Villa fan a help or hindrance?
He will feel the pain when we lose just like we do but does that place an extra strain/pressure on him ? At Brentford/Walsall the scrutiny by the press/ social media would have been less
The new manager bounce was great while it lasted -  I hope he does not persist with the criticisms of referees and the loss of two ( albeit key players) - one of which we may need to place in the summer in order to finance a rebuild of the squad ( of hopefully younger, keener and  more committed players)
Good luck to him
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 02:00:13 PM by villa `cross the mersey »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2657 on: January 21, 2019, 02:57:28 PM »
I feel we have a decent manager now and we're capable of making the Play Offs.

We've stumbled around for a number of years with half baked ideas and plans. To limit that to this league we have seen us waste in that first window £20m in fees on players who've barely featured and paid high wages to short term/limited players. That same season we changed manager (correctly) and spent more on 3 midfielders, none of whom are really good enough or have contributed very little.

Another summer and the manager spends significantly on wages and creates a spine of loanees. The manager failed, quote catastrophically given the circumstances and every advantage he had over every other club and went into a new season only because of the ownership flux.

The squad is a mesh of ideas and lacking in a style or identity.

When the right players are fit however, you can get a tune out of it and one that perhaps sounds better than anybody else's.

The issue is that lack of depth or quality in absolutely critical positions.

Despite all that, with the better players returning from injury and a chance to strengthen, the attack we possess, should give us the opportunity to hit the top 6 regardless of the glaring defensive problems we face.

If not, then we've got to have the courage to maintain a plan. It appears that would be the case from what Purslow and the like have said.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2658 on: January 21, 2019, 03:33:36 PM »
I wasn't saying that is the ideal way. Although, when we first came down, it should have been possible with a decent manager.

It was suggested, by a poster, that they would rather not go up if it meant struggling and getting beat each week.

I was saying I would love to go up in any way possible and grab the millions to help us rebuild properly.

Parachute payments end this season, and restrictions on our spending are going to be tight. Unless we happen to find an amazing manager, capable of minor miracles, and/or suddenly find a plethora of young talent, we are likely to be here for many, many years.

Plus not going up means almost certainly Jack will be off in the summer and I don't trust us to adequately replace him no matter how much of his fee we chuck at it.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #2659 on: January 21, 2019, 03:45:05 PM »
I think you are right Taylor but I get the feeling that these owners are much more proactive than Ellis, Lerner and Xia ever were.  Any businessman worth the name can read in our recent history the damage done by unarrested slides in form.

There weren't many who were as proactive as Doug. He gave Barton eighteen months, Turner two years and McNeill eight months. Dr Jo got one season and BFR got the bullet eight months after winning a trophy. I suspect even SGT was only one or two defeats away from the bullet in autumn 1989.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #2660 on: January 21, 2019, 04:37:49 PM »
Perhaps Deano roughed up a few feathers in players and now they only put in short shifts of efforts.

Said how it is and what he wants and expects and goes "I'm only playing you because I have to"

It can be disillusionment to players.

I think Bolasie leaving is a statement in one way or another

Offline Ads

« Reply #2661 on: January 21, 2019, 04:39:45 PM »
Yes, either he took the hump or perhaps more likely Smith weighed up what he could do with £80k a week or even half of that compared to a player that's forgot how to press.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #2662 on: January 21, 2019, 06:47:06 PM »
I wonder if El Ghazi will be next.  He can be just as bad.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2663 on: January 21, 2019, 06:50:19 PM »
I wouldn’t get rid of El Ghazi. He’s demonstrated obvious talent and there’s a risk we end up with hardly any attacking options to go with our shambolic midfield and defence.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 07:11:37 PM by PaulWinch again »

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #2664 on: January 21, 2019, 09:08:12 PM »
I think Albert and Elmo  could go mate even BB .
Basically a cull of the older ones and the last chance for some money on them.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #2665 on: January 21, 2019, 09:13:09 PM »
I think you are right Taylor but I get the feeling that these owners are much more proactive than Ellis, Lerner and Xia ever were.  Any businessman worth the name can read in our recent history the damage done by unarrested slides in form.

There weren't many who were as proactive as Doug. He gave Barton eighteen months, Turner two years and McNeill eight months. Dr Jo got one season and BFR got the bullet eight months after winning a trophy. I suspect even SGT was only one or two defeats away from the bullet in autumn 1989.

Wasn't it the 1-0 home win against Derby? If we'd lost that our history could have been very different.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #2666 on: January 21, 2019, 09:17:01 PM »

Plus not going up means almost certainly Jack will be off in the summer and I don't trust us to adequately replace him no matter how much of his fee we chuck at it.

I feel the owners know he is a sellable asset and unfortunately use this as part of a rebuilding plan. How exactly do they stop expectations though .

I think it's naive to say promotion isn't necessary and I get bloody annoyed when I think about what Purslow said.
Purse stings purse low I'll call him

I also don't like hearing though accept people's views that some people who follow villa don't want to be promoted as will struggle in premier league.

Talk about dampen expectations! That is annoying that it's become a club like that as clubs recently have shown being promoted and being competitive to being in league.

One thing is correct by Purslow is long way off top 6 but I feel villa would have chance to be a lot more than a whipping club if promotion occurred this season.

Also highly sceptical of any ambitious intentions if we are said to be given idea to be content in the championship
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 09:21:25 PM by footyskillz »

Offline sid1964

« Reply #2667 on: January 22, 2019, 06:59:42 AM »
The problem for us if we don't get promoted this season, what will happen to both McGinn and Jack in the summer, our 2 good players may decide that they dont want another season in the Championship and if a half decent premier league side show interest, they could be off.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #2668 on: January 22, 2019, 07:36:03 AM »
As they should. The only crumb of comfort is that it will bring profit into the club which hopefully, can be reinvested in enough players to build a half decent side around.

Offline Ads

« Reply #2669 on: January 22, 2019, 08:34:47 AM »
I wonder if Tottenham fans spend as much time fantazing about selling Kane to Madrid in the summer.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal