collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Extra Press-ing  (Read 3242 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Extra Press-ing
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2018, 02:51:54 PM »
That is a very good and balanced summary. I like the cricket analogy too.

As a big cricket fan, I think the comparison to Yorkshire's finest rings true.  A player with Boycott's ability and technique could of course still make runs in the modern game, but his style would be seen as dour and unattractive.  Things would soon unravel though if he tried to move away from his natural game and play more expansively.

That's what I never really understood with Bruce.  His natural approach is to be direct, solid at the back and quick on the break yet he never really put together a side capable of playing that way.  Warnock proved last season that although that type of football is not easy on the eye, it can be effective if it is done properly.  I lost count of the number of games I have saw under Bruce where a procession of long balls were pumped up to Hogan and Kodjia, who are both incapable (and at times unwilling) to compete with the type of centre halves who operate in the Championship.  That type of football relies on having the kind of energetic midfielders who will get about and win second balls, but again he never really brought that type in.  To hit teams on the break, you need players with pace out wide who can make up ground quickly, but we played a lot of last season with wingers on their 'wrong' side so they were continually forced to turn back on to their stronger foot.  We had a team of players capable of getting on the ball and playing good football, but didn't play a passing game either.   

As John Percy said, it was just a mess and he never really looked like solving the problem.       

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2018, 11:25:39 AM »

As a big cricket fan, I think the comparison to Yorkshire's finest rings true.  A player with Boycott's ability and technique could of course still make runs in the modern game, but his style would be seen as dour and unattractive.  Things would soon unravel though if he tried to move away from his natural game and play more expansively.

To elaborate on the cricketing metaphor, Bruce was from the era when a test team would be happy to be 250-5 at the end of day one, with him having grafted to 100 not out because the most important thing was to stay at one end while the big hitters were at the other. Then along came teams who could hit 350-400 in a day with both batsmen scoring quickly. And that's from someone who never worked out which side they kick off from.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2018, 11:51:57 AM »

That's what I never really understood with Bruce.  His natural approach is to be direct, solid at the back and quick on the break yet he never really put together a side capable of playing that way.  Warnock proved last season that although that type of football is not easy on the eye, it can be effective if it is done properly.  I lost count of the number of games I have saw under Bruce where a procession of long balls were pumped up to Hogan and Kodjia, who are both incapable (and at times unwilling) to compete with the type of centre halves who operate in the Championship.  That type of football relies on having the kind of energetic midfielders who will get about and win second balls, but again he never really brought that type in.  To hit teams on the break, you need players with pace out wide who can make up ground quickly, but we played a lot of last season with wingers on their 'wrong' side so they were continually forced to turn back on to their stronger foot.  We had a team of players capable of getting on the ball and playing good football, but didn't play a passing game either.   

As John Percy said, it was just a mess and he never really looked like solving the problem.       

I liked the Post article but I don't know cricket so I don't know that bit.

I could compare Steve Bruce to Barry from EastEnders/Extras .

And now known forever as Barry  from EastEnders he self paradoy of a type of losing nice guy character.
Bruce is s paradoy of a certain type of football manager .

Both are dated stereotypes that some still like to being played out as current

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2018, 11:58:52 AM »
Lovely summary. Dave, do you have a preferred choice of next Manager?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2018, 12:01:59 PM »

I'd go for Brendan Rodgers. he's done all he can at Celtic, I don't think he's going to hang on another three years to get the ten in a row and he might think he's got unfinished business in England.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2018, 07:16:40 PM »

I'd go for Brendan Rodgers. he's done all he can at Celtic, I don't think he's going to hang on another three years to get the ten in a row and he might think he's got unfinished business in England.

I agree. I'd be more than happy with that.  If he could do to us what he did with Swansea, including the type of football, it would be great.  No connection to Mendes, but I guess we only read that we have asked him to be involved in the press.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2018, 07:22:35 PM »
Is the Talksport interview available online?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2018, 09:41:59 PM »
Is the Talksport interview available online?

Teacher's pet. ;)

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2018, 09:01:24 AM »
I like the cricket analogy

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal