collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Press-ed bask to the edge  (Read 2241 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

Re: Press-ed bask to the edge
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 01:53:52 PM »
Good article Dave, however yesterday was our 6th home league defeat under Bruce, not 5th.

Bruce told everyone it was the 5th though obviously. 

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 02:16:59 PM »
Good article Dave, however yesterday was our 6th home league defeat under Bruce, not 5th.

Bruce told everyone it was the 5th though obviously. 

And I missed out reading in his first year when I checked some reason. Thanks for pointing it out.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 08:21:46 AM »
Good article, however maybe due a possible 12 points ffp points reduction ,he’s on target not for promotion but survival just saying

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 09:08:08 AM »
Cheers for that, a good article. I hope the CEO has a read.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 09:42:48 AM »
Great read Dave.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 12:16:10 PM »
The Song Remains the Same and we are now fighting the Battle of [N]evermore.

Online JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 12:49:58 PM »
good read and spot on

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 12:55:08 PM »
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insanity"

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that created them"

Both Einstein and both very relevant to us right now.

Win Friday, have a little run where it seems back on track and again it will go back to the usual crap we witness on a more regular basis. We have to face facts SB is not going to change his football style or philosophy (if he actually has one) so time is now for a change

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 01:29:11 PM »
The other question to consider is whether Bruce is capable of turning things around to the point where we are genuine title contenders.  Based on the evidence of is time here so far, I would have to say that is highly questionable and would say that as it stands, one of the lower play off places is the best we could achieve under him this season. 

We looked a good side at times in the second half of last season, but were heavily reliant during that period on a reasonably solid defence and Jack Grealish who was the best player in the league during those few months and capable of almost winning games on his own.  Even during that decent period last season though, we looked very ordinary when either or both of those two factors were not performing (QPR at home and Norwich away being examples).  Our defence looks far from solid this season and Grealish is not performing to the levels he was and as a result we look ordinary again.   

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 02:10:45 PM »
The other question to consider is whether Bruce is capable of turning things around to the point where we are genuine title contenders.  Based on the evidence of is time here so far, I would have to say that is highly questionable and would say that as it stands, one of the lower play off places is the best we could achieve under him this season. 

We looked a good side at times in the second half of last season, but were heavily reliant during that period on a reasonably solid defence and Jack Grealish who was the best player in the league during those few months and capable of almost winning games on his own.  Even during that decent period last season though, we looked very ordinary when either or both of those two factors were not performing (QPR at home and Norwich away being examples).  Our defence looks far from solid this season and Grealish is not performing to the levels he was and as a result we look ordinary again.   

yep, I said 5-8 in the league last season but I didn't account for Jack coming back quite as strongly as he did after his injury so we slightly over-achieved. I think similar this season but I'd expand it out a little to say we could finish anywhere from 5th to about 12th unless Bruce leaves.  Get rid soon and I think the playoffs will be the minimum so long as we get someone reasonably competent in.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 02:19:43 PM »

yep, I said 5-8 in the league last season but I didn't account for Jack coming back quite as strongly as he did after his injury so we slightly over-achieved. I think similar this season but I'd expand it out a little to say we could finish anywhere from 5th to about 12th unless Bruce leaves.  Get rid soon and I think the playoffs will be the minimum so long as we get someone reasonably competent in.

Being a slight pedant here but we didn't over-achieve; you underestimated.

FWIW I still think we'll go up, it's frustrating at the moment but there's plenty of time left.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 02:21:38 PM »

I'd agree with that Paul though I'm not sure we can say we over-achieved given the resources Bruce had at his disposal.  I think Grealish's performances and the fact that Terry marshalled the defence well though probably meant we got better results than we would otherwise have had under Bruce, so I guess we did over-achieve in that respect.  I think the level of performances we saw before Christmas last season and during his first season is probably more akin to where we are at this point in time. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 02:25:40 PM by tomd2103 »

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 04:05:14 PM »
What I mean by over-achieved is that we had a spell from Christmas until the Wolves game that I just didn't account for, but that Bruce hasn't really shown any sign of delivering before or since. I agree the term didn't feel right but under-estimated felt wrong as well.  What I really mean is that the performances all around it are his 'level' and those 2-3 months were an anomaly rather than anything sustainable.

I think Jack is well capable of repeating it but I don't think he will under Bruce.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal