collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next manager?  (Read 327911 times)

Offline Gary Penrice

Re: Next manager?
« Reply #660 on: September 25, 2018, 08:12:14 PM »

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #661 on: September 25, 2018, 09:21:49 PM »
But they're Liverpool. If we wanted Fulham's or Swansea's manager at the same time they did (which was, I believe, the case when they/we wanted Rodgers from Swansea) we're not going to prevail.

Even so we were, in fact, shopping in the same market as Liverpool at the time, whereas you said we weren't and couldn't.  Admittedly we'd be highly unlikely to attract the calibre of Klopp, especially given the contrasting trajectories of the two clubs since 2012, but just because Rodgers managed Liverpool doesn't make him anything particularly special and certainly not out of our league.     
The questions that arise from this are: who is the next Klopp, and could we lure him before they rise above our ability to attract them?

First question - probably this guy:

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/julian-nagelsmann-10-things-on-hoffenheim-best-young-coach-in-germany-473225.jsp

Second question - probably already has!!

Fuck me can we have him now please - I mean today in readiness for Friday

What a refreshing outlook on football

and it another Yes from me

Hasn't he already agreed to join Leipzig next season?

Offline FranzBiberkopf

« Reply #662 on: September 25, 2018, 09:40:21 PM »
The new Klopp was Tomas Tuchel when he was at Mainz. He’s ended up at PSG, so obviously in a diffenret universe to,the one we operate in now. But if only we hadn’t be so blinkered with the old “PL experience a must” pre-requisite eh.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #663 on: September 25, 2018, 11:01:22 PM »
But they're Liverpool. If we wanted Fulham's or Swansea's manager at the same time they did (which was, I believe, the case when they/we wanted Rodgers from Swansea) we're not going to prevail.

Even so we were, in fact, shopping in the same market as Liverpool at the time, whereas you said we weren't and couldn't.  Admittedly we'd be highly unlikely to attract the calibre of Klopp, especially given the contrasting trajectories of the two clubs since 2012, but just because Rodgers managed Liverpool doesn't make him anything particularly special and certainly not out of our league.     
The questions that arise from this are: who is the next Klopp, and could we lure him before they rise above our ability to attract them?

First question - probably this guy:

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/julian-nagelsmann-10-things-on-hoffenheim-best-young-coach-in-germany-473225.jsp

Second question - probably already has!!

Fuck me can we have him now please - I mean today in readiness for Friday

What a refreshing outlook on football

Get him in! Superb outlook. He’s like the polar opposite of spud head

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #664 on: September 26, 2018, 06:45:54 AM »
Football Association's technical director Dan Ashworth, 47, is in talks over an equivalent role at Brighton. (The Guardian)

Shame we are not after him.  I suspect he'd choose a meat and potatoes type manager that's gone through St Georges.  I'd settle for him and Southgate though, admittedly zero chance now.

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #665 on: September 26, 2018, 07:51:28 AM »
The new Klopp was Tomas Tuchel when he was at Mainz. He’s ended up at PSG, so obviously in a diffenret universe to,the one we operate in now. But if only we hadn’t be so blinkered with the old “PL experience a must” pre-requisite eh.

I was vocal on here about wanting Tuchel instead of Sherwood at the time. Ffs

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #666 on: September 26, 2018, 08:26:57 AM »

Yep.  Equally we might have appointed Solskear, Magath, Garde, Mel, Meulensteen, Zenga, Zola, De Boer.....

I agree with the sentiments, but it is easier to get it wrong than right.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #667 on: September 26, 2018, 08:31:18 AM »

Yep.  Equally we might have appointed Solskear, Magath, Garde, Mel, Meulensteen, Zenga, Zola, De Boer.....

I agree with the sentiments, but it is easier to get it wrong than right.

I remember a few of us on here were raving about Solksjaer's training sessions, him being the right choice and feeling disappointed when it didn't happen but that shouldn't put us off obviously. Mind you,  De Boer didn't really get a chance at Palace. It seemed like he was only there five minutes.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #668 on: September 26, 2018, 11:34:31 AM »
Football Association's technical director Dan Ashworth, 47, is in talks over an equivalent role at Brighton. (The Guardian)

Shame we are not after him.  I suspect he'd choose a meat and potatoes type manager that's gone through St Georges.  I'd settle for him and Southgate though, admittedly zero chance now.

He did five years as technical director at Albion between 2007 and 2012 and everything I read about him at the time was very positive. It seemed like he had a big say at the club. He has been linked to a similar role at Manchester United in the last few weeks.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #669 on: September 26, 2018, 04:45:17 PM »
Clough Junior just did another job this time on a premiership team

we never got his dad but i wouldn't be against his Son

meets my two criteria of
1-  builds decent teams
2- plays good football

he wouldn't be my first choice but i'd probably take him over Terry or Henry

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #670 on: September 26, 2018, 04:50:12 PM »
Sacked by Derby. Relegated last season.

Nah, you're alright thanks.

Offline john e

« Reply #671 on: September 26, 2018, 05:03:58 PM »

you could probably say negative things about any manager

Burton getting into the championship was in itself was a massive overacheivement
or are you one of these who just trots out stats but knows absolutely fuck all about football, there's a few about

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #672 on: September 26, 2018, 05:11:25 PM »

Burton getting into the championship was in itself was a massive overacheivement
or are you one of these who just trots out stats but knows absolutely fuck all about football, there's a few about

Why the aggro, old pal? He did well to get them into the Championship, then didn't do quite so well as they got relegated again. And the one time he tried his luck at a bigger team, he failed. He would be a sub-Graham Turner appointment.

We should go for someone amazing. He doesn't fit the bill.

Offline john e

« Reply #673 on: September 26, 2018, 05:22:22 PM »

Why the aggro, old pal? He did well to get them into the Championship, then didn't do quite so well as they got relegated again. And the one time he tried his luck at a bigger team, he failed. He would be a sub-Graham Turner appointment.

We should go for someone amazing. He doesn't fit the bill.

i didn't say he was the next great thing and we get him in
he's is doing a good job with Burton, he builds decent teams and plays good football

you said he got relegated and Derby sacked him so no thanks

firstly the relegation with Burton is not surprising as his whole squad were competing with a wage bill less than Terry was on alone

and secondly Derby didn't work out, there's a load of managers who in the past have a few disappointments on their CV show me the perfect CV and i'll show you a manager who we wont be getting

his Dad was sacked at Leeds, he didn't do to bad after that

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #674 on: September 26, 2018, 05:53:49 PM »
I thought Nigel Clough was a pretty decent footballer and you can see how he likes to get his teams to play but I think managing us would be too big a step up. It's a no from me.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal