collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Monty
[March 28, 2024, 11:26:15 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Drummond
[March 28, 2024, 11:39:23 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Monty
[March 28, 2024, 11:26:15 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Billy Walker
[March 28, 2024, 11:13:11 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 11:07:05 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:06:11 PM]

Re: COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:01:42 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next manager?  (Read 327933 times)

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: Next manager?
« Reply #630 on: September 24, 2018, 11:07:05 PM »
Don't forget the Peace Cup.

If Southgate was in that squad that won Le Tournoi then I think we'll be in pole position to snag Messi when his contract's up.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #631 on: September 24, 2018, 11:08:01 PM »
Pretty much any PL side can get a top notch manager now if they wanted to such is the wages they could pay if they chose to. My point was though that using Liverpool as an example doesn't work that well as they've taken the managers of Fulham and Swansea recently so it's not like they were operating on a completely different level to us at the time. Sadly even fecking Bournemouth probably are at present.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #632 on: September 24, 2018, 11:13:03 PM »
But they're Liverpool. If we wanted Fulham's or Swansea's manager at the same time they did (which was, I believe, the case when they/we wanted Rodgers from Swansea) we're not going to prevail.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #633 on: September 24, 2018, 11:23:32 PM »
Again, I never said we would be competing now. However we have in the past which is the time frame you were using from a few years ago. There were 2 next big things in management in 2012, they signed one and we signed the other. Klopp onwards it's a different ballgame as we had an idiot with a shortlist of one, and it's that kind of thinking that has led to where we are now.

That over the last decade they've won the same number of trophies as small heath shows, to me at least, that they haven't exactly excelled when it comes to managerial choices.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #634 on: September 24, 2018, 11:24:41 PM »
Don't forget the Peace Cup.

Or the NextGen.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #635 on: September 24, 2018, 11:27:54 PM »
Again, I never said we would be competing now. However we have in the past which is the time frame you were using from a few years ago. There were 2 next big things in management in 2012, they signed one and we signed the other. Klopp onwards it's a different ballgame as we had an idiot with a shortlist of one, and it's that kind of thinking that has led to where we are now.

That over the last decade they've won the same number of trophies as small heath shows, to me at least, that they haven't exactly excelled when it comes to managerial choices.

Fair enough I guess, but we got the one they didn't want, and we've not been on the same level as them in my lifetime, and I'm 40. See Barry, G. for evidence.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #636 on: September 24, 2018, 11:28:19 PM »
to be better than Bruce is not going to be hard, but I wouldn't want Rogers

always comes over as a bit of a twat and bullshitter I think,
 I know that's not a good enough reason but it's good enough for me

Amusingly he plays exactly the type of football you're constantly demanding.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #637 on: September 24, 2018, 11:32:07 PM »

Fair enough I guess, but we got the one they didn't want, and we've not been on the same level as them in my lifetime, and I'm 40. See Barry, G. for evidence.

Edit: they've signed Suarez, Torres, Salah, Firmino, and Keita during the same spell that we signed McCormack, Hogan, Snodgrass (loan), Joe Cole and Onomah (loan).

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #638 on: September 24, 2018, 11:36:00 PM »
Players wise I agree that they sign a totally different level to us on the whole, I add on the whole as they've signed some right shite as well in my time.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #639 on: September 24, 2018, 11:36:16 PM »

Edit: they've signed Suarez, Torres, Salah, Firmino, and Keita during the same spell that we signed McCormack, Hogan, Snodgrass (loan), Joe Cole and Onomah (loan).

Suarez cost about the same as Darren Bent.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #640 on: September 25, 2018, 12:13:47 AM »
But they're Liverpool. If we wanted Fulham's or Swansea's manager at the same time they did (which was, I believe, the case when they/we wanted Rodgers from Swansea) we're not going to prevail.

Even so we were, in fact, shopping in the same market as Liverpool at the time, whereas you said we weren't and couldn't.  Admittedly we'd be highly unlikely to attract the calibre of Klopp, especially given the contrasting trajectories of the two clubs since 2012, but just because Rodgers managed Liverpool doesn't make him anything particularly special and certainly not out of our league.     

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #641 on: September 25, 2018, 12:15:39 AM »
Surely the time to  appoint Liverpool standard managers was when we were finishing sixth regularly in the premier league? We will struggle to finish sixth in the championship this season.

We did at that time appoint a former Liverpool manager but sadly he was in semi retirement and way past his best as a manager otherwise liverpool wouldn't have sacked him in 2004.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #642 on: September 25, 2018, 12:39:14 AM »
The Plymouth Herald says that Andrea Stramaccioni is being considered. I am sure they have a hot line to events in B6 so I convinced. I now just need to figure out who he is.

I think he was at Inter a Roma, I remember his name coming up before so I checked who he was, has a decent reputation from what i remember.

Not according to this write up

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/05/29/do-hes-a-complete-failure-aston-villa-fans-stunned-by-andrea-str/

That was the link the Plymouth Herald took the story from but it originated in Italy.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #643 on: September 25, 2018, 12:41:37 AM »
Before I go to bed and have nightmares, can somebody confirm who was in charge of Liverpool when the rumours spread of them being interested in MON? Please don't say it was Purslow.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #644 on: September 25, 2018, 08:43:10 AM »
Pretty much any PL side can get a top notch manager now if they wanted to such is the wages they could pay if they chose to. My point was though that using Liverpool as an example doesn't work that well as they've taken the managers of Fulham and Swansea recently so it's not like they were operating on a completely different level to us at the time. Sadly even fecking Bournemouth probably are at present.

I think that has extended to the Championship somewhat as well PWS.  Maybe not to the extent that top managers from across the continent would consider a job at a Championship club, but managers with a fairly high profile like Nuno and up and coming managers like Wagner have taken charge of clubs at that level.   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal