collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next manager?  (Read 329539 times)

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
Re: Next manager?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2018, 09:16:27 AM »
I want Juan Carlos Osorio Arbeláez.

Loved the story about him living in England and learning about the game here.

Liked the football he had his team's playing.

I believe he's a free agent after leaving his post as the Mexico manager.

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2018, 09:33:59 AM »
Smith would be my first choice. Nagelsmann from Hoffenheim would be my wildcard.

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2018, 09:39:31 AM »
I was relieved when we didn't go for Thierry Henry when the rumours were circulating in the summer, and it's still a no from me. The only managerial experience he's had is a couple of years as second assistant to Martinez for Belgium, and recent reports suggest he blew his chance with Bordeaux with excessive wage demands. Looks like he doesn't want to prove himself by learning his trade at a lower level club.

Sooner or later you have to feel that Eddie Howe would want to manage a bigger club than Bournemouth. He gets them playing attractive football and, with all due respect to Bournemouth, he has made a very small club pretty secure in the PL with a limited budget. Ticks all the boxes for me

Or maybe Mendes can find us another Nuno
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 09:42:35 AM by CJ »

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2018, 09:53:23 AM »
Deano for me, tactically astute and always gets a team to be competitive despite losing his best players each Summer.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2018, 10:00:39 AM »
I was relieved when we didn't go for Thierry Henry when the rumours were circulating in the summer, and it's still a no from me. The only managerial experience he's had is a couple of years as second assistant to Martinez for Belgium, and recent reports suggest he blew his chance with Bordeaux with excessive wage demands. Looks like he doesn't want to prove himself by learning his trade at a lower level club.

Sooner or later you have to feel that Eddie Howe would want to manage a bigger club than Bournemouth. He gets them playing attractive football and, with all due respect to Bournemouth, he has made a very small club pretty secure in the PL with a limited budget. Ticks all the boxes for me

Or maybe Mendes can find us another Nuno

Out of work managers and contenders not mentioned
Zidane or blanc ahead of Henry please

Another portugeezer ?
Well we have Carlos Carvalhal

Claudio Raneri amazing job on winning league with leicester and we now have players to play fast counter attacking game.

Quique Flores or Oscar Garcia are both UK experienced and could be given a chance.

There would be a risk bringing in and changing style but is it a risk the owners  would take.

I think they would only be interested in taking a big name manager 

Offline cdward

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2018, 10:21:12 AM »
Big name manager - André Villas-Boas is available.
 Dean Smith or Lee Johnson

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2018, 11:10:10 AM »
no, no and no.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2018, 11:49:18 AM »
Dean Smith. A perfect fit.

Offline Stan Drew 01

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2018, 11:58:32 AM »
None of my business I know, but why not David Warner ?

If your new owners are as rich and ambitious as they're supposed to be (Tony Xia?) he might be tempted by a shedload of cash and the medium term prospect of crossing swords with his old mate Klopp on a more equal basis than Huddersfield could ever dream of. It might also be a good time for him to bail out of Huddersfield before it inevitably goes tits up.

Personally I hope you get Brendan Rodgers, he's an even bigger Fkin egomaniacal wanker than Martin O'Neill and Tim Sherwood combined.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2018, 12:07:22 PM »
None of my business I know, but why not David Warner ?

If your new owners are as rich and ambitious as they're supposed to be (Tony Xia?) he might be tempted by a shedload of cash and the medium term prospect of crossing swords with his old mate Klopp on a more equal basis than Huddersfield could ever dream of. It might also be a good time for him to bail out of Huddersfield before it inevitably goes tits up.

Personally I hope you get Brendan Rodgers, he's an even bigger Fkin egomaniacal wanker than Martin O'Neill and Tim Sherwood combined.

Isn't he currently banned for ball tampering?

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2018, 12:19:01 PM »

Does Dean Smith actually buy the players at Brentford ?

I was under the impression they adopt a different way of working and he just gets on with what he's given.

Not a big enough name/presence for me personally, and i do suspect if he had zero Villa connections (however vague) nobody would even mention his name when talk of a new Villa manager being needed came up. I'm surprised we haven't had a clamour for Mellberg as well.

Some players can't hack the expectation levels when they join us, they shrink with the weight on their shoulders, and i wouldn't want to destroy his career if he couldn't hack it either. We're almost a poisoned chalice as it clearly takes a certain kind of man to do the job, one with incredibly thick skin and a deaf ear to all the groans. Nobody is going to come in and get 'time' either. So that narrows down the field as far as i can see it.

If Bruce goes we need a confident balls out character, who's already done it who isn't afraid to ruffle a few feathers IMHO

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2018, 12:22:02 PM »
the club mascot is more balls out than Bruce - and I'm talking Bella

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2018, 12:23:37 PM »
As I said last time this came up, my target would be someone who has managed one of the bigger clubs in a league of  asimilar standard and done a good job, that would've included Nuno last summer. When pushed for names I suggested Cocu (but he's just joined Fenerbache) and Preud'homme (but he's just gone back to Standard Liege) but there's plenty of other options.  I'd be looking in Portugal, Holland and Belgium to start with (and I'd accept Rodgers on the same basis as well).

I think we need a manager who knows he's under pressure to win and approaches every game with that in mind.  Bruce, for me, still approaches too many games thinking that a draw would be decent.

At a quick glance based on that I'd go with Gio Van Bronkhorst, he's done a good job at Feyenoord and won the title, has them playing good football and knows English football from his playing time. He's also a pretty big name for a championship club.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2018, 12:33:39 PM »
Somebody I've never heard of would be my choice.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2018, 12:34:24 PM »
Can we please stop mentioning Brendan Bloody Rogers. As someone mentioned a while back, this was the man who got out thought by Tim Tactics Sherwood at Wembley.

According to my Kopite mate he can’t organise a defence for anything.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal