collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Style, Tactics & Formations 2018/19  (Read 30051 times)

Offline footyskillz

Re: Villa Style, Tactics & Formations 2018/19
« Reply #150 on: October 24, 2018, 03:15:22 PM »
Maintaining possession of the ball and a passing game are the defining characteristic and idea for the villa way under Smith but also making more forward moves as well as the work villa do off the ball.

Yesterday despite the loss to norwich
Stats read :

Passes
482 Total 522
23 Crosses 28
0 Through Balls 1
67 Long Balls 68
392 Short Passes 425

Possession wise slightly more at 52%
But only 1 of 8 shots on target .

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #151 on: October 25, 2018, 11:41:17 AM »
Not going to quote the whole thing but I generally think that, as backwards as it sounds, working on passing starts without the ball. Knowing where people are going to run and how they like to receive the ball is the most difficult thing, getting people passing accurately over 10-15m is the easy bit.

I think you're right and we've been awful at this for a long, long time (see throw-ins too). Whether it's because they've been told to rigidly stay in position, whether they aren't clever enough or what, I don't know. It's bloody frustrating though.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2018, 07:01:34 PM »
Forget the full backs and wingers - none of them are up to it through a combination of lack of ability and fitness.

Go 3 - 4 - 3.

Chester - Tuanzebe - Jedinak

el-ahmadi - bjarnesson - grealish - mcginn

kodija - hogan - abrahams

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #153 on: October 25, 2018, 07:42:29 PM »
Forget the full backs and wingers - none of them are up to it through a combination of lack of ability and fitness.

Go 3 - 4 - 3.

So you'd displace our most effective striker for a lamp-post and move our best midfielder out to the wing?  Sorry mate, but I hate this side.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #154 on: October 25, 2018, 08:22:33 PM »

Go 3 - 4 - 3.

So you'd displace our most effective striker for a lamp-post and move our best midfielder out to the wing?  Sorry mate, but I hate this side.

And we’ve resigned El-Ahmadi..!?

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #155 on: October 25, 2018, 11:04:06 PM »
Smithy asks a lot of the front 3 and midfield 3  and demands a "high intensity of running from the players " and thinks "it's only sensible to rotate at times "

Smith: "we have a talented squad and we ve encouraged then in training to become more tactically astute when playing and they have taken a lot more responsibility of that and that's been pleasing "

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #156 on: October 26, 2018, 04:11:21 PM »

Go 3 - 4 - 3.

my mistake - elmohamady

wasn't particularly trying to say where the front 3 would line up - other than abrahams and hogan centrally and kodija wider or floating around ...

either way they're our best 11 players - why not try and make a team/formation out of them - because what I've seen of everything else thats been tried has been a glaring failure so far.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #157 on: October 27, 2018, 12:53:12 AM »
1 QPR Aston villa 0

Formation:
Started as 4-4-1-1 with Abraham striker and Kodjia wide left.
Grealish as Number 10
Bjarnasson and Mcginn midfield and Elmohamedy wide right attacker .

John Mcginnn was guilty of lossing ball most being dispossessed 5 times and was loose in his passing with only a 71% passing accuracy.

Despite his drive and energy he lacked composure and quality at times on the ball.

Bolasie came on to replace Elmo and provide a stronger attacking threat
He played wide forward left and also came over to right side.
He had mixed impact
had 2 shots- both on target.
19 touches and gave a way the ball 50% of the time.
He did 6 passes
Made 6 crosses (2 accurate) in 30 minutes play (same number as elmohamedys in 60 minutes)

Possession and passing wise Villa style was to dominate and play the ball

32% Possession 68%
Passes
276 Total 587
206 Short Passes 487
63% Pass Success 85%

16 Shots 18
7 Shots on target 5

Grealish had most shots 6 with 1 on target.
Abraham 4 shots
McGinn 3 shots
Tuanzebe 2 shots both on target
Bolasie 2 shots both on target
Kodjia 1 shot.

From 5 combined shots Abrahams and Kodjia failed to get a shot on target .

« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 12:57:52 AM by footyskillz »

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #158 on: October 27, 2018, 01:49:04 PM »
I've mentioned my thing about 3s before. If we can get 18 shots a game we'll score a couple per game on average, the quality of the chances clearly makes a difference but those numbers suggest we're not far away going forward. We need to make it harder for teams to get chances though, conceding 7 shots on target in a game is pretty poor.  I honestly think our biggest problem is our play without the ball though, we have a few players with serious concentration issues and our attacking players spend too much time on their heels waiting for the ball.

Online dorsetvillian

• GM : PCM
« Reply #159 on: October 27, 2018, 02:06:00 PM »
There are many ways of playing out from the back. Look at man city going straight from keeper to Augero on a long diagonal. What disappointed me last night is that we didn't play one longer diagonal over the top. With our front 3,  I'm sure this would have been effective. QPR wanted us to play in front of them and narrow and we dually obliged. That's why despite controlling the play we didn't create too many clear chances.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #160 on: November 12, 2018, 03:53:29 PM »
I like how Smithy talks about having ideas in how to handle the varying opposition . This head coach and  his coaching team recognise that teams  play differently and acts on it.

Like how the setting of traps and pressing is slowly being understood and come to fruition was really apparent vs derby .

Smithy spoke in having Abrahams move on to Huddleston second half stop him with ball made him more tom hiddlestone .

The derby centre halves had to be on ball and that was pressured. There were less effective and limited in options .

Just felt from what I saw the passing abd included  along the wing , and pressing of space we're two key areas which villa excelled.

What's encouraging is that smithy recognise opposition style and uses team and players strength to counter it.

Also what was so super was the playing away in a positive manner and a positive result.
Up the villa!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 03:59:33 PM by footyskillz »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #161 on: November 12, 2018, 05:22:00 PM »

Go 3 - 4 - 3.

my mistake - elmohamady

wasn't particularly trying to say where the front 3 would line up - other than abrahams and hogan centrally and kodija wider or floating around ...

either way they're our best 11 players - why not try and make a team/formation out of them - because what I've seen of everything else thats been tried has been a glaring failure so far.

Hogan isn't even the best footballer in his own house.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #162 on: November 13, 2018, 07:27:09 AM »

Go 3 - 4 - 3.

No thanks!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #163 on: November 13, 2018, 09:34:48 AM »

Go 3 - 4 - 3.

No thanks!

I think that's literally about the worst combination of players I could imagine putting put, without actually putting Neil Taylor in goal and Micah Richards up front!

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #164 on: November 13, 2018, 12:55:16 PM »
Every time I read about  ‘setting traps’ I can’t help think of Claude Greengrass

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal