collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Style, Tactics & Formations 2018/19  (Read 30321 times)

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
Re: Villa Style, Tactics & Formations 2018/19
« Reply #135 on: October 14, 2018, 09:35:18 AM »
For example, he renamed the Analysis Room at Brentford, where post-match debriefs were held, as The Learning Zone.

This is the sort of thing that gets praised when it goes well. When it doesn't it gets ridiculed. I hope our players embrace it. Glad that the likes of Gabby aren't around and more.

First of all the staff are going to have figure our where the hell the Analysis room is and then its going to take a cleanup of gigantic proportions before we can think about renaming it.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #136 on: October 14, 2018, 09:38:35 AM »
Of course the Calibre of players and that the plethora of mainly established players some of international variety I hope doesn't prevent players wanting to go on and better themselves in ' learning '.

It's all about embracing methods.

If anything it's opportunity for Whelan , Elmo, Jedinak , Hutton to have new angle on things .

Kodjia can develop his awareness and passing I hope . Though he's already a developed class player.

Similarly the younger players can benefit and should be most grateful and receptive. That would include Grealish and Mcginn.

Hogan, lansbury , Hourihane , Chester and Taylor are ones where have they reached their levels?
I mean we may not have always seen the best of all of them all the time but in general career wise how much more developed can these guys become ?

Played in effective roles and their passing , shooting and general  footy skillz being more focus I hope all the squad grow and learn.

I feel hopeful that Bjarnasson would be one who embraces and thrives with new methods despite the national team being one that plays longer passes! .

Oh and despite the relative success bolasie can hopefully improve his shooting ! (Along with Grealish and mcginn)
And Kodija his passing !

Exciting and interesting times ahead !

« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 09:42:25 AM by footyskillz »

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #137 on: October 14, 2018, 01:53:03 PM »
For example, he renamed the Analysis Room at Brentford, where post-match debriefs were held, as The Learning Zone.

This is the sort of thing that gets praised when it goes well. When it doesn't it gets ridiculed. I hope our players embrace it. Glad that the likes of Gabby aren't around and more.

First of all the staff are going to have figure our where the hell the Analysis room is and then its going to take a cleanup of gigantic proportions before we can think about renaming it.

Evict Richards from the comedy room/easy lounge and turn it back into it's original use.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #138 on: October 14, 2018, 08:26:51 PM »
Yeah, what about Birkir for the ''quarter-back'' role?

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #139 on: October 14, 2018, 08:47:22 PM »

Yes, I imagine our Analysis Room is like Miss Havisham's house. A dark, cavernous, walk-in cupboard of cobwebs, only instead of an elderly bride there's a skeleton in a swivel chair clutching a dusty tome called 'Association Football' by someone like Major R.W. Lofthouse, which is open at the chapter on throw-ins.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #140 on: October 14, 2018, 11:00:40 PM »

Yes, I imagine our Analysis Room is like Miss Havisham's house. A dark, cavernous, walk-in cupboard of cobwebs, only instead of an elderly bride there's a skeleton in a swivel chair clutching a dusty tome called 'Association Football' by someone like Major R.W. Lofthouse, which is open at the chapter on throw-ins.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #141 on: October 14, 2018, 11:04:41 PM »

I laugh-snorted and got wine on my jumper.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #142 on: October 15, 2018, 04:21:55 PM »
Yeah, what about Birkir for the ''quarter-back'' role?

Too many bookings for handball

Online tomd2103

« Reply #143 on: October 22, 2018, 12:59:55 PM »
Having been at the game on Saturday and seeing what looked like an approach based on keeping the ball rather than counter attacking, it has got me thinking about which formation is going to suit us going forward and which players are going to be more suited to that style.

If we are looking at playing a more flexible system based on keeping the ball, then I'm not really sure that is going to suit the likes of Adomah and Kodjia.  I thought Abraham looked a little isolated at times on Saturday and would like to see Grealish in particular a bit further forward and playing off him.  I just wonder whether we can develop a system something like the one below over the coming months:

Nyland

Hutton         Tuanzebe      Chester       Taylor 

Whelan

Bjarnason             McGinn

El Ghazi             Abraha           Grealish

I've put El Ghazi in there as I think he would be worth a look in a system like that (O'Hare might be as well) and Whelan as I think he is a bit better on the ball than Jedinak.  With El Ghazi and Grealish tucked in a bit, the emphasis would be on the full-backs to get forward and provide the width.  I think Elmohamady, Hutton and Bree would be capable of doing that on the right, but Taylor is more of a defensive full-back so we would need to bring in a more attacking minded left back in January.   

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #144 on: October 22, 2018, 06:29:55 PM »
The tactical talking in the post match interview is what we wanted !

Great talk about overloads , structures and systems.
And also about the energy and pressing and having a go from the off . 

Heard Smithy talk about working on set pieces in defending however noticeable struggle in dealing with crosses and Mcburnie winning headers.

Also would like more movement into the box as well as Taylor who was flying forward to be used on over lap.

Albert Adomah seemed not to link up when given chance to Taylor who did the overload
Crosses from the by line by left foot on left side can bring some rewards

Grealish does need to drive forward and be far more decisive as does Adomah.

Regards bolasie and kodjia they are players who aren't designed to defend and are flair footy skillz types who should be players who are expressing themselves on the ball. Closing down could be improved but these 2 I feel are massive game changers and up their with best attacking players in league if not the best .

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #145 on: October 23, 2018, 03:11:19 PM »
Only Man City have scored more league goals in the top four divisions in 2018 than Aston villa
 Man City - 71 the VILLA  - 61!

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #146 on: October 23, 2018, 04:04:08 PM »
To improve as a team with ball retention the  passing needs to improve with several players .

Overall the whole team have been "a bit loose" with passing and also as Deano says make more of the turnovers in possession.

I took upon myself from stats who scores.com to look at further the passing success of current squad.

In smithy and coaching team we will look to develop and improve their passing abilities .

Some Villa players are below 80%
This is a big issue to the style of play for smithys Villa.

The player who is most needing improvement is  Abrahams 63.5% and lowest rate of successful passes. He's the only one who is in his 60 percenters. Maybe to do previous system played and lack of support but also his inexperience and still learning  . In this case it's a combination as he's a recognised talent and 4 goals in 7 matches. Just something to look at though his relative low passing success. ( Will keep eye on him tonight regards this)

We certainly think will look to be improved as the player and team develop .

So of the other players,
Well here they are:

70% levels
Jedinak 73 4%
Taylor 74.9%
Tuanzebe 75.4%
Elmohamedys 77%
Alan Hutton 77.4%
Bjarnasson 78.5%
Adomah 79.9 %
---------------------
80%
McGinn 81 3%
Kodija 82.8%
Hourihane 85.5 %
--------------
Grealish and Chester are at 87% levels.

The levels of other squad members at this time are negligible due to minutes playing time and the average successful passing numbers

(Though Glenn Whelan in 3 matches , one more than Taylor (74%), has 90% and could be someone smithy favors for 'resting' on the ball and keeping things ticking over however that's one for debate .)

Grealish and Chester having a high % of successful passing would be down to them being perhaps the best players at the club and their roles in the team. Stats indicate and decent level of passing consistency.

However you would like to think

1. JG JC will be pushed to 90%+ passing
2. The other players will be pushed to raise their levels to 85%+ and above
3. Abrahams to develop all round game and make better passing as 63.5% is too low .
4. The raise of levels in successful passing will help with defending ! And conceding less goals .
5. Only 41% of GK Nyland distribution makes it to a villa player hopefully with a gk coach coming in then can look to improve his all round game and passing abilities.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 04:13:51 PM by footyskillz »

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #147 on: October 23, 2018, 04:26:40 PM »
Looked at stats v Swansea
5 outfield players had below 80% passing accuracy.
Abrahams at 47% successful passing .
Lowest in team and not even half his passes making a team mate.

Kodija was next with 66.7 %
And Elmohamedys 71.4 and hutton 73.9 in passing accuracy.
McGinn who does win the ball back a heck of a lot was at 76.7

At top end had Grealish 92.7% and Chester 96.4% the 2 that smithy can relie on in ball playing .

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #148 on: October 23, 2018, 06:14:21 PM »
Not going to quote the whole thing but I generally think that, as backwards as it sounds, working on passing starts without the ball. Knowing where people are going to run and how they like to receive the ball is the most difficult thing, getting people passing accurately over 10-15m is the easy bit.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #149 on: October 23, 2018, 07:38:47 PM »
Not going to quote the whole thing but I generally think that, as backwards as it sounds, working on passing starts without the ball. Knowing where people are going to run and how they like to receive the ball is the most difficult thing, getting people passing accurately over 10-15m is the easy bit.
There was an atrocious lack of kicking a football technique on display on Saturday.
Albert, Abraham’s Tunzabee made some simple passes look difficult.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal