collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Style, Tactics & Formations 2018/19  (Read 30057 times)

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
Re: Villa Style, Tactics & Formations 2018/19
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2018, 11:23:19 PM »
Is there any possibility Bruce's team sheet has got mixed up with his takeaway order?  I've just checked tonight's squad numbers against my local Chinese menu and I reckon he's accidentally fielded a set banquet for six with an extra portion of special fried rice and some salt and pepper chicken wings.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2018, 10:51:16 AM »
I think it's very old school of Bruce and paradoxical what he doing with Andre Green in loaning him out.

Where is the player development ?
Or at least speak with some intelligent Bruce on things it's all very basic especially compared to say jurgen klopp.

Fabinho was signed in summer but hasn't started
Instead of being critical like Bruce have of the fringe players or non league starting players he could be well advised to speak in a way like the German does.

I don't find Bruce comments particular helpful to the squad and that he threw these players together in league cup lacking a motivation . It's uninspiring.

I rather his speak about position and awareness and things.

Look at how klopp is dealing with Fabino and also how he States Robertson has come on

Klopp said: “It is about players understanding the position and who else is available as well, otherwise Fabinho would have been involved in the squad, as he was in the first week.

“That is it. It is different football to what he is used to but he is improving already with big steps. I can see that in the sessions and that is cool.

“You see Andy Robertson running around here at Melwood now and he’s a completely different person to the one who was here in the first three months. That’s how it is, but everything will be fine."

I like a manager who understood tactical acumen , inspire, to motivate and gave young players inclusion.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2018, 12:42:14 PM »
Is there any possibility Bruce's team sheet has got mixed up with his takeaway order?  I've just checked tonight's squad numbers against my local Chinese menu and I reckon he's accidentally fielded a set banquet for six with an extra portion of special fried rice and some salt and pepper chicken wings.

Missed this last night.

Bravo sir Bravo....

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2018, 01:19:54 PM »
My tactics are put the ball in the back of the oppositions net and don't concede a goal simple but effective.

Steve? Shouldn't you be on the training ground?

Haah very Steve Bruce !

Bruce now has another simple idea of having fresh and young legs with energy in the team.... We LL see how he  translates that tactically ?

Most headers scored in the league last season

Set pieces will still be important and I imagine with all the footyskillz on show a fair number of fouls against our forward players leaidng to more chances .

Brian Clough once said. "Players lose you games not tactics there's so much crap about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes"

I know it's a different era but for me he's spot on.
Granted but Bruce isn't Clough.

Where are you with Guardiola or Klopp

Bielsa a good example of how he likes to play and set up being so far successful with a similar group of players last season

I'm definitely in the Pep philosophy but we wont get a Pep I wish we could find the next Pep after watching the All or Nothing series I would love it if that could be us we live in hope.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2018, 05:26:15 PM »
So are we saying squad is this with centre backs at Jedinak and Bree

Goal - Nyland /Moreira / Bunn -

Centre Backs - Chester / Tuanzebe /Jedinak/Bree

Fullbacks - Elmo / Hutton / De Laet / Taylor 

Central Midfield - Hourihane / Bjarnasson/ Lansbury / Whelan/McGinn

Attacking Midfield - Grealish / Adomah / Bolasie / ElGhazi

Strikers - Kodjia / Hogan / Davis / RHM - Abrahams

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2018, 09:15:36 AM »
At this time the 4 centre backs look to be Chester and jedinak and then Tuanzebe and Bree as further options .

Right backs I like RDL but I think after Burton and generally Elmo or Tuanzebe will be there .

Left back is Hutton . Mr 100%

Midfield Whelan, Tuanzebe, Bjarnasson as DM role

Mcginn Grealish will be a fixtures

And I think will be Bolasie and El Ghazi will be too

Kodija could play wide to allow Abrahams the forward position

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2018, 09:18:34 AM »
I reckon our first choice line up in a few weeks time will be

Nyland

Elmo Chester tuanzebe hutton

McGinn Whelan / bjarnason grealish

Bolasie Abraham / kodjia / el ghazi

That attack looks to have ridiculous quality at this level. Arguably better than last year's. Certainly pacier.

But it's very new and will require a bit of bedding in

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2018, 11:39:47 AM »
I see Axel staying at right-back. Bruce has made enough comments in interviews that he sees Jedinak as centre half. Only other question is are we still playing Kodjia-ball or will Abraham join him upfront or replace him or indeed is he just cover?

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2018, 12:24:23 PM »
I have no idea how he can shoe-horn all the attackers into a team and achieve balance.

Front two? Would need wide players, where does Jack play?

One up front? - Where does Jimmy play? Then what for our new wingers and Jack?

Back three? Who are our wing backs? What happens in midfield and attack?

Lots of questions and it will be interesting to see what happens.

I do think we need a free agent centre back though.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2018, 08:00:32 PM »
Bruce makes me laugh though.
He said in his interview after match

"Regardless of people coming in Regardless of tactics    :o
You've got to roll your sleeves up and be physically ready....."

He then goes on to say "you can talk about tactics or 'you don't know what you're doing'  and 'dinosaur' gonna come out but at the end of the day we didn't put our boots on "

Unfortunately this sort of simplicity in approach and attitude about getting physical and effort is such a limited view.

So basic and that why there is an inherit problem with the squad and team under Bruce and coaching staff.

Some have joked on here about tactics and things but there is just a complete lack of understanding by Bruce in doing anything with current tactics.

His outdated ways and suggesting that the "most disappointing thing is that he didn't put their boots on"  and talking of " rolling sleeves up" indicates to me someone who has disgregard for 'advanced' attitude in football .

And to me it's not even advanced to have  tactical accumen.

The very problem is how he identifies issues in such a shocking shocking way and that to suggest this idea of fighting and being competitive and NOTHING on tactical speak is just embarrassing in 2018 .

It's old school speak it's Sunday league not professional speak

It's not yesteryear. It only works to an extent .
And it doesn't give any quality in game play or consistency certainly not at a top professional level there is any identity.

I want a manager who will bring fresh ideas and movements not a manager who wants a team to roll their sleeves up .

Thats not football to many people now . Too him and maybe others that's how they see it and what football basics are I along with many other want to see a fresh approach with great tactics and fluid play .

Up the villa.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2018, 11:34:57 PM »
Despite all the players being brought in, as our new owners blindly back Bruce as the previous owner did, we still to my eye don't have a squad capable of competing for promotion. I can't see a cohesive unit being generated out of our crew.

Goalkeeper - utter rubbish both of them
Right back - need Elmo or RDL in there asap
Centre half - only ONE at the club
Left back - Hutton struggling badly, Neil Taylor seems finished
Midfield - all options slow and incapable of dictating play. Simply have to play two holding midfielders to cover the car crash behind them which negates the strengths of McGinn and Hourihane.
Wings - should be ok once new guys settle
Grealish - head has been gone since Spurs move fell apart
Striker - certainly hope Abraham is capable of playing a hold up role as our best bet is likely direct football to the front and get our forward players to get on second ball

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2018, 02:25:52 AM »
I realise Nyland hasn't exactly sparkled so far but just for a minute imagine the chaos going on in front of him. How on earth is he meant to gain any confidence at all from that?

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2018, 08:20:39 AM »
I realise Nyland hasn't exactly sparkled so far but just for a minute imagine the chaos going on in front of him. How on earth is he meant to gain any confidence at all from that?

Totally agree. While i don't like Bruce what I have seen from the highlights today is that players were not putting in challenges and instead allowing Sheff Utd players to just run at them (or past them). As for Nyland, I feel sorry for him, he is playing in front of a non existence defence. For this I do blame Bruce, as he has had the whole transfer market to put this right.   

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2018, 09:17:12 AM »
Tactiaclly Bruce should have recognized that we were too open and made changes so there was defensive stability .

Sometimes he is not so skilled at changing things which keep a balance in team.
The like for like subs or a move to bring in a more attacking player and moving players around can seemingly affect the fludity.

The individual errors occuring is a concern and there would be reason for this. 
In some respects it's down to concentration . In some respects it's down to how being managed and coached .

Versus Sheffield u
Whelan as a dm , the number 6 role , needed help. 
And we either needed two in that role him and say Tuanzabe.

Yet he took Tuanzabe off and brought on Hourihane and put Elmo into right back

The other changes were like for like sub Hutton - Taylor
And midfielder  McGinn for striker RHM

It was clear to see there was a lot of space in midfield and on this occasion another number 6 was needed.

Mcginn doesn't play that role and actually should have been subbed way sooner than 76 min on this occasion.

Also the problem on left side and Hutton and then el ghazi winger supporting him defensively seems a problem
It's not El ghazi strength and was giving fouls away.

We see his strength is attacking .

Now if we adapt to situation Bruce would have set up a 4-2-1-3 ideally or at lest changed to it in match play.

The 2 number 6 in this instance and then Jack as number 10 with El ghazi and elmo as part of front 3 wide forwards with Jimmy.

Elmo could have gone to right back and Tuanzabe into midfield (or Bjarnasson) and McGinn would have to come off for this system .

However could have had it with Grealish as a wide inside forward and McGinn ahead of two number 6 as a number 8 .

The problem seem to be the playing system being used and players knowing their role and actually being able to do it too effectively .

I also think a problem was having Elmo as one of the attacking players .
He can be effective as a right back and RHM should have come on in a changed system probably at half time .

Kodija could play as wide forwards left and Elghazi on right with RHM up top as 3 attackers.

Playing against Sheffield U  a  3-5-2 or   3-4-1-2 with wing backs that get forward and a midfielder Duffy who had room in between the lines and scored should have been well known to Bruce how they play.
They have a settled system and play a certain way.

Bruce maybe has a ,4-4-1-1 system which was all wrong .

He seems to be searching for right system but he needs to use the players in the most effective way and be far more tactically aware of how to be defensively stable yet fluid attacking against teams

Offline achilles

« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2018, 11:22:19 AM »
You can say all this until you are blue in the face but it doesn't alter the basic fact that Bruce does NOT do tactics, therefore it just comes down to the scatter-gun approach, a wing and a prayer!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal