collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Style, Tactics & Formations 2018/19  (Read 30278 times)

Offline footyskillz

Re: Villa Style, Tactics & Formations 2018/19
« Reply #210 on: January 13, 2019, 12:41:09 AM »
The system needs yo be adapted to the players we have

I don't think there are enough footballers and ball players who can play Smith style currently

The hunger and fitness lacking in pressing .

Having the players watch man city v liverpool may not have inspired them that much as they are already established and perhaps other methods are needed.

I all for Smith and his footballing philosophy but I can't abide the like for like substitution and the lack of flexibility in the system with one central striker .

It's a long term project this one

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #211 on: January 13, 2019, 01:03:00 AM »
The system needs yo be adapted to the players we have

I don't think there are enough footballers and ball players who can play Smith style currently

The hunger and fitness lacking in pressing .

Having the players watch man city v liverpool may not have inspired them that much as they are already established and perhaps other methods are needed.

I all for Smith and his footballing philosophy but I can't abide the like for like substitution and the lack of flexibility in the system with one central striker .

It's a long term project this one

Subs today where just baffling
1)Using all 3 at once with non being an extra attacker with losing a game ...
2) Cant control midfield due to oppositions pressing so bring on Whelan ...
3) Waste a sub on a cb to try and play out of defence despite Midfield being woeful and bring on a player who hasn't played in months

We had lost MF we might as well added another striker and gone more direct

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #212 on: January 13, 2019, 11:10:29 AM »
Even though he went 4-4-2 in the cup I don't see Smith altering this formation he loves.

As many here say we haven't got the players at theoment to fit and suit

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #213 on: January 29, 2019, 10:53:00 PM »
From the Villa website:

Dean Smith, once again, showed his tactical awareness as he ensured victory over Ipswich Town.

Smith explained post-game that he switched to two holding midfielders in the 2-1 win – Conor Hourihane and Glenn Whelan – leaving John McGinn in the No.10 role, enabling him to advance further up the pitch.

He told us: “I tweaked the system a little bit.

“I wanted to be a little bit more solid in our transitions, so played Conor Hourihane and Glenn Whelan together. It allowed John McGinn to go and play as a No.10.

“I thought he optimised that with his runs and his energy. He created a lot of chances for himself and others.”

Our Head Coach was even calculating in his choice of subs, opting for Callum O’Hare on the bench rather than Birkir Bjarnason, knowing that he needed requisite cover in the more forward role in case of injury to McGinn.

He added: “I decided to leave BB out of the squad. I thought it might be a game for Callum because of the switch in system. I had the idea that I might be able to put Callum on. I also had Mile coming back.”

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #214 on: January 30, 2019, 10:27:48 AM »
We have to adapt our style of play and I think we're all agreed, the way Smith's previous teams have played is what we'd like.

So what's the point of him changing this style because the players struggle? It's short-term thinking.

The players need to do it, learn it, play it or fuck-off and we'll get players in that do want to learn and adapt. If you look at the top division now it's littered with clubs who've made those changes and have squads of ok players who do what they are told and the team benefits.

Even Guardiola has a system and forces the players to play it, if they don't he drops them or gets rid.

We need to see if our current crop will do it. I'll wager there won't be many that do, but I trust Smith to get it right and to stick to his principles.

But I want us to do well right now too.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #215 on: February 09, 2019, 03:55:38 PM »
Needs a change in formation and tactics.  We are far too one dimensional and there aren't any option for players on the ball.  We are back to how we were under Bruce where the the ball just gets shovelled out wide in the hope that someone out there can produce a bit of magic. 

We simply need to get more players in central attacking areas, even if that means we sacrifice the defensive midfielder.  In all honesty, Whelan and Jedinak (along with a few others) can only produce anywhere near the required intensity in 20 minute bursts, so I don't think we would be losing much anyway. We could always play a diamond if we wanted to keep a defensive midfielder anyway.

I would maybe look at bringing a formation that brings another striker in and give Abraham a bit more freedom.  A diamond or even a 3-5-2 would allow us two options up front and a player in behind.  With Mings now at the club and when Tuanzebe comes back, I think we would have the mobility to possibly play 3 at the back.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #216 on: February 10, 2019, 12:18:11 AM »
The problem is the best way to address those problems isn't to change shape but to have better fullbacks. Hutton wasn't awful yesterday but he also didn't really do the job you want from a full back in a high tempo, high possession game, which is to make the pitch as wide as possible and punish them with crosses if they leave him space.  Taylor on the other hand is fucking awful, easily the worst player on the pitch yesterday (and given how fucked Jedi looked that's saying something).

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #217 on: April 13, 2019, 07:11:19 PM »
Over this absolutely beautiful 8 match winning run there has been some absolutely stylish footy going on and some beaut tactics !
I have to say not many coaches go with 2 attacking players like Smith did midweek when effective sub of Kodjia at half time made after going down to 10 men and being a goal down.
This is what we now have a manager who wants to attack and win matches.
Its absolutely class what Smith is doing with our football club and the way going about matches and playing to win !
(Reminder is on as we speak of Bruce sheff wed being all negative away at Leeds)
No Grealish and No Mings and villa beat a very competent and competitive Bristol city who are play off hopefuls.
And by all accounts villa could have scored more than the 2 goals
Midfield dynamism and high quality players who are now deserving of reward by super support by villa faithful
One of the most pleasing and refreshing things with the villa now is the football and types of goals and chances created. Facts are facts and the squad this season and last were goal laden  but this is now simply above simply competitive and pragmatic it's a blend made in Birmingham by the hero and coach of the month .
This actually is just wonderful so much positivity to say on this squad and the almighty Smithy !
The wins keep coming
8 is great ! 9 will be fine!  10 we say Amen !

Up the villa !!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal