collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Style, Tactics & Formations 2018/19  (Read 30287 times)

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
Re: Villa Style, Tactics & Formations 2018/19
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 03:22:12 PM »
My tactics are put the ball in the back of the oppositions net and don't concede a goal simple but effective.

Just the one, Steve?

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 03:23:45 PM »
My tactics are put the ball in the back of the oppositions net and don't concede a goal simple but effective.

Steve? Shouldn't you be on the training ground?

Haah very Steve Bruce !

Bruce now has another simple idea of having fresh and young legs with energy in the team.... We LL see how he  translates that tactically ?

Most headers scored in the league last season

Set pieces will still be important and I imagine with all the footyskillz on show a fair number of fouls against our forward players leaidng to more chances .

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2018, 03:46:52 PM »

Haah very Steve Bruce !

Bruce now has another simple idea of having fresh and young legs with energy in the team.... We LL see how he  translates that tactically ?

Set pieces will still be important and I imagine with all the footyskillz on show a fair number of fouls against our forward players leaidng to more chances .

Brian Clough once said. "Players lose you games not tactics there's so much crap about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes"

I know it's a different era but for me he's spot on. 

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2018, 04:32:44 PM »
Imagine a behind the scenes Aston villa/Steve Bruce documentary in similar style to  the recent release of the ' All or nothing'  Manchester city recordings.

Hearing Bruce insights and seeing him talk tactics
And all the locker room goings on.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2018, 04:35:16 PM »

Haah very Steve Bruce !

Brian Clough once said. "Players lose you games not tactics there's so much crap about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes"

Granted but Bruce isn't Clough.

Where are you with Guardiola or Klopp

Bielsa a good example of how he likes to play and set up being so far successful with a similar group of players last season

Online Keeno

• Twitter
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2018, 04:36:28 PM »

Haah very Steve Bruce !

Definitely a comment from a different era. The margins between ability and fitness between elite/pro level players are much tighter now. The game is faster and smaller details decide matches. You see so-called "lesser" teams out-perform more expensively assembled ones and play better football in the process all the time at many different levels of the game. That is a result of good coaching, tactics and patterns of play, pure and simple.

Look no further than our own team for the last two years as an example of a side that in terms of its wage bill, transfer fees and perceived 'quality' has underachieved! Or Man United currently. It's not enough to rely on just players' individual moments of quality to win you games anymore across a 40 game season, against well organised and physically fit opposition.

In fact you see a lot of managers who were players in that Clough era (great example being one of his players in O'Neil) running out of steam in today's game.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 04:53:33 PM by Keeno »

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2018, 05:01:17 PM »
Under Bruce, very little style, neglible tactics, baffling formations, weird substitutions, little in-game management.
In my view we have the players that could do some very real damage to teams, they just need managing correctly.
UTV!

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2018, 05:58:31 PM »
A tactics thread?

This is not required. As there are no tactics by Steve Bruce.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2018, 06:35:29 PM »
I'd go slightly different.

Given our only tactic seems to be getting crosses in I want the fullbacks higher up the pitch.  To accommodate that I'd get McGinn to play a little deeper.

Nyland
Elmo/RDL  Chester  Tuanzebe  Hutton
        McGinn  Whelan/Thor/Jedi
              Grealish
Bolasie     Kodjia    El Ghazi

I'd rather we had a left footed left back and Whelan/Thor/Jedi would be alternated based on who we play (Whelan if we expect to have lots of the ball, Jedi if they've got a big fucker up front who needs marshalling and Thor is they play possession football).

I'm happy with either right back starting, both would be in my 18 either way.

The key thing is getting the fullbacks to overlap and the wingers to cut in and get into the box to support Kodj.  El Ghazi in particular is a big lad for a winger and should be useful coming in onto deep crosses.  Grealish gives us something different if the crossing isn't working and should be pushed to get closer to Kodj if we're not creating chances.
For overlapping fullbacks, it is essential for at least 2 factors to be in place:
1 the LB is left footed (as you say), to use the outside and whip in the ball
2 the attackers get into the box at speed and in numbers (one of the irritations last Saturday was the lack of urgency to get into golascoring positions when we had the ball)

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2018, 06:39:40 PM »
Under Bruce, very little style, neglible tactics, baffling formations, weird substitutions, little in-game management.
In my view we have the players that could do some very real damage to teams, they just need managing correctly.
UTV!

Agreed

Or 'This' if you're cool. Which I'm not.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2018, 07:34:17 PM »
A tactics thread?

This is not required. As there are no tactics by Steve Bruce.

This, this with fucking bells on.

Offline Fasth56

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2018, 07:52:39 PM »
We have no discernible style, no evidence of tactics and a formation of 11 men on the pitch.

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2018, 10:28:35 PM »
I’d lock this thread until Bruce had gone.

As about as useful as a marzipan dildo.

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2018, 10:51:30 PM »
I’d lock this thread until Bruce had gone.

As about as useful as a marzipan dildo.
The icing on the cock.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2018, 11:16:51 PM »
As far as formations go, just pick numbers at random and hope they add up to 10.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal