collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: And so the Cycle Turns  (Read 2427 times)

Offline Brassneck

And so the Cycle Turns
« on: April 12, 2019, 10:26:11 PM »
Tomorrow is going to be another first for me.

My Brother in law and Nephew (who I go to games with) are away tomorrow and they have very kindly given me their season tickets.  I am taking 2 of my grandsons (aged 14 & 9).

It brings back lots of happy memories for me.  I took my 2 girls to the home game against Everton, immediately after we'd won the league cup at Wembley in 1994.  Now I'm taking their sons to their first Villa game.  I also took my girls to the Holte's last stand against Liverpool in the last game that season.  After that, my son (who is a few years younger) had a season ticket with me for a few seasons.

If I'm honest, I am glad that none of them got the bug like I did because football is such an expensive hobby these days.  However, it is important to me to know that my family understand exactly what the Villa means to people.  So far, my 2 grandsons only real knowledge of Villa has been derived from my drunken chants on Saturday nights when we have got together after a game has taken place.  Tomorrow, they are going to experience for themselves just how great our club is.  I anticipate an electric atmosphere and wonder whether any seeds will be sewn.

I'm already thinking about taking them away to a game (or maybe to the play off final if we get there).  If tomorrow doesn't cast a net over them, a packed pub away from home will surely do the trick.

Online WassallVillain

Re: And so the Cycle Turns
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 10:58:37 PM »
Hope they get the bug too
It’s a different experience nowadays but I clearly remember my first visits to VP.  The vivid green of the pith the smell of tobacco in the air. I’m a confirmed non smoker but I loved that smell as you entered the stadium and caught site of the Jewell like pitch. I had been to VP for a few league cup games but the one that hooked me in was Chesterfield away. First game in division 3.  Hope it turns out the same for your grandchildren.  I’m  Still hooked now but have to miss tomorrow for family reasons.  I hope it’s an iconic day for all all tomorrow. Something just feels right as it did back then in 1970.

Offline villa for life

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 11:00:14 PM »
Yes, having a football team  to support can bring a family together.
I live overseas and tomorrow will be the first game I’ve seen at villa park for a good few years. I will be going with my wife, brother, niece and my 82 year old father. Despite being separated by miles, we WhatsApp almost everyday about the Villa. Tomorrow, we shall all go together. It’s a blessing and a memory I shall treasure, regardless of whether we win , draw or lose. I love football and owe a debt of gratitude to my dad for taking us down for the first time 35 years ago. You never know what will happen for villa or in life in general, but I’m hoping villa will be back where they belong sooner rather than later. Promotion would be another reason for a family celebration and more priceless memories.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 08:49:32 AM »
I've had that wonderful experience of going down the Villa with my son and his two boys.  The first time there were just the three of us as the younger lad was just too young.  It's an experience that evokes so many memories and had me on the verge of tears going in, soft old sod that I am.

I have a nine-year-old grandson here in Ireland that is absolutely chomping on the bit to go so I have to arrange it soon.  Let's hope his first visit will be next season in the Premier League.  Enjoy the day Brassneck.

Offline FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 09:36:21 AM »
Took my lad and then my daughter to their first game when they were three. My sons first game was against Derby in the North Stand , I remember picking him up when Dwight Yorke scored , his response was , when is Hercules coming back on the pitch ! My Daughter’s first game was an evening game against a Man City , during which she feel asleep, due to the lack of  entertainment probably. I remember carrying her down the Holte End steps  , thinking this is a lot of steps. Both grown up now , and thankfully still Villa fans . Enjoy your special day.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 10:13:42 AM by FrankyH »

Online Godfrey Brian

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 10:11:59 AM »
Special days. My kids still talk of their first Villa Park match and I'll  not forget either. We've taken their toddlers to the ground just to see it and visit the family paving stone outside the Trinity Road  Stand. Can't wait until they are old enough to take to a game.Have a great day.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 10:12:59 AM »
Took my lad and then my daughter to their first game when they were three. My sons first game was against Derby in the North Stand , I remember picking him up when Dwight Yorke scored , his response was , when is Hercules coming back on the pitch ! My Daughter’s first game was an evening game against a Man City , which she feel asleep, due to the lack of  entertainment probably. I remember carrying her down the Holte End steps  , thinking this is a lot of steps. Both grown up now , and thankfully still Villa fans . Enjoy your special day.

My niece's first games, she just wanted to be close to the lion. Then it was a case of bring something to keep her entertained (granted it was in the last few years of the Yank ownership so I could have done with alternative entertainment as well).

Now she goes to most games home and away and knows more about the players then I do.

Offline Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 10:42:40 AM »
You lucky people, all of you. As you can guess from my username, I haven't been able to guide the younger family members who are interested in football to the true faith. Maybe their children...

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 10:44:03 AM »
Marvellous stuff, enjoy your day

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 02:15:25 PM »
I used to go years ago with my dad but he stopped going about 5 years ago because of his age ,he's 90 in a months time. Took my daughter with us when she was 4 to her first game against Liverpool.  I can't go to a game without her now although she is 22 and that does have it's drawbacks....get the tickets dad and I'll give you the money....I meet her at the station and the conversation is always the same.....I'm a bit strapped for cash this week dad...!!!!

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 07:14:47 PM »
Never mind taking relatives to matches when you doing a book signing

Offline Damo70

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 10:35:09 PM »
My seventeen year old son is Villa mad and I took him to his first game when he was four. We were at Wembley together when we lost to Arsenal in the cup final and it was his 14th birthday that day. He loves hearing all my old stories of legendary away days of the past (he doesn't have much choice to be fair).  My wife wasn't brought up in a football mad family like I was so it took her a while to get used to things but she enjoys going to the occasional Villa game even though she wouldn't bother watching football on TV. My wife and two daughters do however keep up with the Villa score when they are out and about together of a weekend. Although that is mainly so they can judge what mood my son and I will be in when they get home. My young grandson has serious physical and intellectual disabilities but my son and I make sure he recognizes his Villa cuddly toys and when he has his electronic voice box attached he can say 'Mum' and 'Villa'.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal