collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: doug ellis/witton lane stand  (Read 15958 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: doug ellis/witton lane stand
« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2019, 09:04:43 PM »
We need a proper musuem in a redeveloped North, Wolves put one in their rebuild a few years back.

Would obviously lose all the parking spaces pushing the stand back but most new builds put in underground car parks now so that seems a decent solution.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2019, 11:18:40 PM »
The houses in Witton Lane have now disappeared replaced by the nice garden. We could buy that land and do a Trinity road type of rebuild I suppose?

See the bit above about light. And I think, but I'm not certain, that any increase in capacity is dependent on better transport links.

Which is a bit ironic when you consider they are not really increasing the capacity. Just reinstating it back to what it used to be not that many years ago.

In a different world when most people either walked to the ground or got the bus.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #92 on: April 12, 2019, 11:33:06 PM »
The main issue is the North stand. Plenty of room behind there but as people have stated, some long term bigger view is needed, not just a stand at a time. The Witton not far behind to be re-developed.

The end behind the one of the goals in Tottenham's new stand looks pretty impressive.  Would like to see the North Stand redeveloped into something like that.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2019, 12:54:11 AM »
I like the fact that Spurs have looked beyond the traditional design that has been so fashionable of late and broken those lines with a single tier end. I believe the naming rights are up for grabs which is a shame.

Although this new stadium looks stunning, for me football grounds are not just about how they look and operate but how they echo with history. It will happen eventually with all these new stadia as the years roll by but nothing beats a ground, on it's original site, that give you goose bumps as you feel the past all around. From the streets and approaches, the pubs and shops, into the stands and that view of something a simple as a patch of grass that has played host to so many up's and downs (well, downs in the case of Small Heath). Older grounds developed over time leading to a hotch potch of stands and designs that gave grounds their own unique character. Paddocks, Spion Kops, enclosures, pop sides, "ends", turnstiles within houses, alleyway access, stairwells over gardens and landmark floodlight pylons that helped many a lost fan find a ground.

The sleek lines and infinitely better facilities mean that while we have gained better H+S and sightlines we have lost something that formed part of my early love affair with football. The thrill of a night game at Highbury, the back streets of Moss Side suddenly giving way to Maine Road, the two ends at the Dell almost collapsing into the corners and the breathtaking approach down Trinity Road to our own dear Villa Park. Maybe one day people will talk in these terms about Spurs new ground or even Brighton's but even the most vivid imagination couldn't conjure up affection for Stoke's ground, whatever it is called, or the grim construction in Middlesbrough.
great post Nev. always would get a tingle in my bones walking under the expressway, smelling the hotdogs and seeing the old AV floodlights glaring, on the way to a midweek match at VP. Nothing can ever top that, for me.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 12:57:06 AM by robbo1874 »

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2019, 02:37:20 AM »
The Jumbo hotdogs ‘they say they’re nice!’ I think the guy is a cov fan. Saw him at Highfield Rd once. He used to be parked up by the ‘Florida Suite’ next to the Holte pub! Happy times.

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2019, 10:14:14 AM »
I like the fact that Spurs have looked beyond the traditional design that has been so fashionable of late and broken those lines with a single tier end. I believe the naming rights are up for grabs which is a shame.

Although this new stadium looks stunning, for me football grounds are not just about how they look and operate but how they echo with history. It will happen eventually with all these new stadia as the years roll by but nothing beats a ground, on it's original site, that give you goose bumps as you feel the past all around. From the streets and approaches, the pubs and shops, into the stands and that view of something a simple as a patch of grass that has played host to so many up's and downs (well, downs in the case of Small Heath). Older grounds developed over time leading to a hotch potch of stands and designs that gave grounds their own unique character. Paddocks, Spion Kops, enclosures, pop sides, "ends", turnstiles within houses, alleyway access, stairwells over gardens and landmark floodlight pylons that helped many a lost fan find a ground.

The sleek lines and infinitely better facilities mean that while we have gained better H+S and sightlines we have lost something that formed part of my early love affair with football. The thrill of a night game at Highbury, the back streets of Moss Side suddenly giving way to Maine Road, the two ends at the Dell almost collapsing into the corners and the breathtaking approach down Trinity Road to our own dear Villa Park. Maybe one day people will talk in these terms about Spurs new ground or even Brighton's but even the most vivid imagination couldn't conjure up affection for Stoke's ground, whatever it is called, or the grim construction in Middlesbrough.
great post Nev. always would get a tingle in my bones walking under the expressway, smelling the hotdogs and seeing the old AV floodlights glaring, on the way to a midweek match at VP. Nothing can ever top that, for me.
Think Simon Inglis would agree with this.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal