collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Style, Tactics & Formations 2018/19  (Read 30306 times)

Offline footyskillz

Villa Style, Tactics & Formations 2018/19
« on: August 28, 2018, 10:14:30 AM »
So with the new outfield players :Bolasie , El Ghazi, McGinn, Tuanzebe , and the rest of the squad

How and what is considered our best formation?

Which tactics, formation and line ups  would you like the villa to use?

Also to discuss Bruce/coaching staff considered match  tactics, set ups and formations they are using this season

And the players too in the systems and how they are performing.

I would like to see an identity in style of play
Yes to be organized and set out a certain way but Within that a fluid system where adapting to match situation occurs.

Offline footyskillz

Re: Villa Style, Tactics & Formations 2018/19
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 10:29:06 AM »
Okay so I think my ideal is with the new signings and considered formations to be used

4-1-2-3

I think Bolasie and ElGhazi are to be wide forwards and support in the attacking forrays.

The full backs though need to maraud down the flanks and overlap .

If the wingers or forward players are to be inverted and cut in then that really needs to occur.

I think the JK has been isolated at times and the new forward players will hopefully carry the ball and offer a goal threat.

In the 4-1-2-3 Grealish and McGinn are the 2 and Whelan or Bjarnasson as the DM .

As I say moving forward I hope the wide players are used as effective forward players with the support of full backs.

I feel Bruce see the use of full backs as defenders first and perhaps wants to leave the attacking players to attack

That's far too basic and even though I'm overjoyed we have 2 potential excellent wide players  , wingers are very outdated in modern game and actually Bruce should be utilising the full backs and their contribution to attacking play.

Be as wing backs or otherwise.

However it remains to be seen if Bruce can actually formulate the system to a high degree of effectiveness as a balance.

The midfield can press and dominate the ball and possession but the organization without and being exposed to counter could be a concern.

There also issue how Bruce would play 3 forwards but like to think El Ghazi and Bolasie would be high up pitch .

However Bolaise I feel likes to hang wide and come inside and outside rather than actually get in the box without the ball.

Anyway I feel a 4-1-2-3 is best with wide forwards.

The struggle would be no width if full backs don't push on and I don't feel Bruce is interested in having them get forward to the by line.

Is it possible why RDL and Bree and even Taylor don't get selected because of their potential to be attacking.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 10:39:48 AM »
I'd go

Nyland
Elmo Tuanzebe Chester Hutton
Grealish Whelan McGinn
Bolasie Kodjia El Ghazi

Whelan sitting tight and giving Grealish and McGinn licence to get forward whenever possible.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 10:46:27 AM »
In regards to Defence I think Jedinak is in there for his heading ability and physicality.

I don't feel bruce is going to move him from this centre halves role as he stated that's where he sees his future.

So tactically Bruce is playing Jedinak as a centre back because he feels he's physically capable and can dominate in the air and strong in tackle as well as being experienced player.

Ariel duels wise I think  he wins more than he loses and this is  a strength for  any centre half  so is strong  on this . Can dominate opposing strikers in this respect .

However positionally and experience to the position is lacking as much as his pace.
That said I starting to understand why he would use him in this role.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 10:49:52 AM by footyskillz »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 10:51:02 AM »
Jedinak has made one major clanger in every game he's played in defence, and it's no surprise we've yet to keep a clean sheet.  Playing him there is madness. He's even slower than Terry was last year, but without the skill and speed of thought to make up for it.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 10:56:26 AM »
I'd go slightly different.

Given our only tactic seems to be getting crosses in I want the fullbacks higher up the pitch.  To accommodate that I'd get McGinn to play a little deeper.

Nyland
Elmo/RDL  Chester  Tuanzebe  Hutton
        McGinn  Whelan/Thor/Jedi
              Grealish
Bolasie     Kodjia    El Ghazi

I'd rather we had a left footed left back and Whelan/Thor/Jedi would be alternated based on who we play (Whelan if we expect to have lots of the ball, Jedi if they've got a big fucker up front who needs marshalling and Thor is they play possession football).

I'm happy with either right back starting, both would be in my 18 either way.

The key thing is getting the fullbacks to overlap and the wingers to cut in and get into the box to support Kodj.  El Ghazi in particular is a big lad for a winger and should be useful coming in onto deep crosses.  Grealish gives us something different if the crossing isn't working and should be pushed to get closer to Kodj if we're not creating chances.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 11:03:43 AM »
Jedinak has made one major clanger in every game he's played in defence, and it's no surprise we've yet to keep a clean sheet.  Playing him there is madness. He's even slower than Terry was last year, but without the skill and speed of thought to make up for it.
It's certainly not ideal having Jedinak there and it's Bruce thinking mile can adapt .

Of course I can see like you that he hasn't been up to speed but Bruce is maybe trying some replication of having a model pro  (like JT) in the defence .

Bolaise spoke very highly of Mile about his attitude and professionalism and that also it's noted players like him , whelan and Elmo had a far more professional approach and good dressing room influence in the squad .

Several players have commented he is most intelligent . And that is good to hear if he's learning the centre back role

I do see Elphick and him are both error prone. Alternative is having Tuanzebe but Bruce is not that one for a so called considered risk (being that of playing young inexperience player) when Bruce feels that Jedinak can do the job.

We had previous with Sherwood playing Richards at Centre half .

I do think Jedinak is far far more disciplined and has a higher footy intelligence with Richards and that experiment.(all-round in fact more successful)

The thing here is we can discuss the idea and think as to why it's happening but also to see that this is the likelihood that Jedinak will be having a number of matches centre half

« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 11:08:27 AM by footyskillz »

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 11:45:29 AM »
I'd go slightly different.

Given our only tactic seems to be getting crosses in I want the fullbacks higher up the pitch.  To accommodate that I'd get McGinn to play a little deeper.

Nyland
Elmo/RDL  Chester  Tuanzebe  Hutton
        McGinn  Whelan/Thor/Jedi
              Grealish
Bolasie     Kodjia    El Ghazi

I'd rather we had a left footed left back and Whelan/Thor/Jedi would be alternated based on who we play (Whelan if we expect to have lots of the ball, Jedi if they've got a big fucker up front who needs marshalling and Thor is they play possession football).

I'm happy with either right back starting, both would be in my 18 either way.

The key thing is getting the fullbacks to overlap and the wingers to cut in and get into the box to support Kodj.  El Ghazi in particular is a big lad for a winger and should be useful coming in onto deep crosses.  Grealish gives us something different if the crossing isn't working and should be pushed to get closer to Kodj if we're not creating chances.

This. And as mentioned, vital for fullbacks to overlap and be comfortable and decent with their final ball (hence a left-footed player at LB and preferably RDL at RB).

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 11:48:50 AM »
Tactics?!  Where we're going, we don't need tactics!

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 11:52:22 AM »
Though even with this - there has to be a clear pattern of play.

What paul_e and footyskillz suggest a side that typically has an early and high press to gain/regain possession and then moves the ball quickly through an interchange of players (because there are notionally three players in advanced positions to apply the press and then lots of angles for passes, overlaps, combinations with close team-mates once we have possession).

Plus the intent has to be to attack with serious intent, i.e. handbrake off. We might lose sometimes but with the squad we have and 3 points for a win, we are likely to accumulate more points - as well as generating excitement and momentum. UTV.

Online robleflaneur

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 12:29:51 PM »
A pressing game with a high line defence .
                  Nyland
RDL    Tuanzebe    Chester  Hutton
            Thor  McGinn
                 Grealish
Bolasie     Kodjia    El Ghazi.

Also the team should be adaptable to opponents and game situations..If we play a team that relies heavily on a big unit upfront and an aerial threat then Jedi would replace Tuanzebe,this would be rare.The defence would have to drop deeper.
Needing a late goal or playing v 10 would see 4132 with RHM as a second striker replacing a wide player and Albert replacing Hutton and if necessary Hourihane for Thor..
Seeing out a game ,would change to 5 3 1 1 with Jedi coming in as a 3rd centre back and in midfield Doyle-Hayes who is very good at keeping possession with Jack free behind the striker ,again with the intention of keeping maximum possession.Both wide players woud be sacrificed.
Elmo would also be a useful reserve.Though Whelan is adept at keeping possession ,his lack of pace would hinder the midfield and I would see him as surplus to requirements.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 12:46:58 PM »
I would like to see Jack playing off Kodija too. In away games that might mean McGinn sitting deep and playing 2 defensive midfielders. At home it might mean a similar set-up but with McGinn being more license to burst forward.

I would expect some rotation and some player management to prevent burn-out i.e. if a game's won, take people like Jack off because they're probably going to be starting most games. Elsewhere we should have 2 players for each position. Several times last year Bruce kept the same team in consecutive games and it cost us. QPR at home is the infamous one but there were other times too.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 12:55:00 PM »
My tactics are put the ball in the back of the oppositions net and don't concede a goal simple but effective.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 12:57:16 PM »
My tactics are put the ball in the back of the oppositions net and don't concede a goal simple but effective.

Steve? Shouldn't you be on the training ground?

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 03:21:17 PM »
I think Bruce is going to use / contuine to use Grealish as one of the 3 in the midfield.

Further forward  than a DM but he wants him to come back both in tackling and in getting involved on the ball.
Grealish has really developed this side of the game in his tackling and regaining possession .
Also Grealish has mentioned how Bruce has in past challenge him to cover big distances over the pitch and getting around the pitch is essential for any midfielder.

Mcginn is a press extradonaire and like he's know exactly how to win the ball more often than not. I think he is just great for what trying to achieve

Whereas Jack style of press is different yet effective in managing to get the ball.

For Jack to be involved at a maximum maybe it's him playing deeper and being on the ball.

For all his qualities he has a tendency not to shoot enough.

I think he should be used as a creative player similar to Coutinho in the midfield 3 of Liverpool .

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal