collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by dalians umbrella
[Today at 01:37:23 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Mister E
[Today at 01:29:15 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by rob_bridge
[Today at 01:28:47 PM]

New Shirt Sponsor by Risso
[Today at 01:25:44 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by usav
[Today at 01:25:15 PM]

NSWE Investment by Somniloquism
[Today at 01:22:44 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Mister E
[Today at 01:19:00 PM]

Ollie Watkins by LeeB
[Today at 01:10:23 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ipswich Town v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 19167 times)

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
Re: Ipswich Town v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2018, 06:29:38 PM »
Comparing points totals is well and good but it feels very likely this season that any 2 out of about 4-5 teams could smash the league and we’re not going to do a Cardiff by grinding our way into second place.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2018, 06:40:13 PM »
This game, especially when they went to 10, was an opportunity to make a statement. Sadly the statement we made was that we have no real strategy and just hope to grind results out.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2018, 06:47:21 PM »
As it stands Bruce will not get this team promoted.

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2018, 06:57:40 PM »
Lot of overreaction on here I think. Disappointing result given the match circumstances but it's only August so talk of not getting promoted is a tad premature. Calling for the manager's head when we're unbeaten is frankly ridiculous.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2018, 07:01:28 PM »
A point away to a poor Ipswich side playing with ten men for over a half is not good enough, in my opinion.

Offline exigo

« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2018, 07:09:31 PM »
Just back from the game.

Utter shite. How many times do we need to work out that Jedi is not a centre back? The easiest plan B Bruce will ever have to work out, and we're on the back foot for 40 mins of the second half.

As soon as you're pulling your entire team back for a corner against 10 men, you're showing your hand. A progressive manager would leave 2, 3 or 4 up front, just as a statement of intent. Not Bruce, he's quite happy to go home with the point.

In a league where only one team have an unbeaten record after three games, at least we're not playing catch up like usual. But, bloody hell, that was absolute rubbish. And I speak as someone who's been to all three games this season – and still can't see what our plan is.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2018, 07:23:09 PM »
People bang on about not leaving more up at defensive corners

But I'm pretty sure I read that youre actually better off getting more men back and breaking from there (ie more goals are scored that way then leaving 3 versus 3 etc)

Not that we do either

I have calmed down a bit. Poor performances happen. We're still near the top

Get two wins from the nexr two and we'll be laughing

But brentford will be really tough

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2018, 07:25:13 PM »
The comments on the twatter feed after the interview are pretty consistent -  with the exception of a bloke called Alan they are all slagging Bruce and his tactics and his bullshit comments.   I hope the new owners are taking note.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2018, 07:28:48 PM »
Genuine question for everyone. Who would we replace Bruce with? I have absolutely no idea, but I mostly don't pay attention to other teams unless they're playing the Villa.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2018, 07:41:29 PM »
Genuine question for everyone. Who would we replace Bruce with? I have absolutely no idea, but I mostly don't pay attention to other teams unless they're playing the Villa.

Dean Smith. He has to keep selling his best players but Brentford still continue to play excellent football....

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2018, 07:46:19 PM »
Just home.  Would have been sooner from one of my local fixtures but Ipswich bus company issue bus maps without showing the location of the football ground.

All I can say about that game is that it is the worst possible advertisement for Championship football.  An ugly, nasty, bad tempered display by both sides in which the officials managed to enrage all the players and all the fans of both sides.

For us, nothing has changed from last season.  We have a manager who sees nothing wrong with ugly football so that is what we are going to get.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2018, 07:46:28 PM »
The penny must surely drop soon as regards to Bruce. Perhaps Wednesday's looming lesson on how to the play the game of football may just shove it off the   end of the penny pusher.

Shit.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2018, 07:52:14 PM »
We have better players than most sides in the division, and they were comfortably good enough to win today.

So why do they consistently produce shite football?

I honestly can't see what Bruce is telling them to do. His approach to coaching seems to be to pick the team and let them get on with it.

Any one of us can pick a side. The hard bit is  telling the players exactly what they need to be doing on the pitch in order to score goals and not concede them. I can't see what Bruce is telling them that any ordinary football fan couldn't.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2018, 07:52:51 PM »
Don't  hold your breath Pete.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2018, 08:03:24 PM »
I didn't see the game, but judging by those brief 'highlights' I'm glad I didn't bother. A defensive cock-up c/o the rubbish new 'keeper didn't didn't come as any surprise to me - and neither was I remotely shocked to see Jedinak start as a central defender & Axel at full back. It's the Bruce way ain't it? What did really wind me up though was the way we failed to press home our numerical advantage. It stinks to high heaven when players appear to have little of no meaningful instruction or motivation: and it's totally unacceptable. I thought we'd flattered to deceive in our opening 3 matches, and it looks like we finally got what we deserved ie very little. Quite how Bruce can continue to cheerfully serve up this disjointed bilge can only be down to the brownie points he's accrued through past promotions - because it sure as shite can't be due to his tactical nous or motivational skills. Any road, at least those who go along to VP in the week might just see some effective & attacking football (although it won't be emanating from those wearing claret & blue). Dino v Deano. Smashin'.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal