collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jimmy Brown  (Read 7245 times)

Offline Brassneck

Jimmy Brown
« on: August 17, 2018, 03:38:36 PM »
This is a question rather than a memory.

Am I right in thinking that Jimmy Brown was the youngest ever player to play for the first team, aged just 15?

Offline Damo70

Re: Jimmy Brown
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 03:39:40 PM »
This is a question rather than a memory.

Am I right in thinking that Jimmy Brown was the youngest ever player to play for the first team, aged just 15?

I have always understood that to be the case.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 04:35:14 PM »
Pretty sure this is correct.  I was there at his debut, lost 2-1 to Bolton on a night when Docherty dropped Charlie Aitken. I know he was dropped and not injured as he told me, he was sat in the seat behind me.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 05:01:36 PM »
Pretty sure this is correct.  I was there at his debut, lost 2-1 to Bolton on a night when Docherty dropped Charlie Aitken. I know he was dropped and not injured as he told me, he was sat in the seat behind me.

Giving your age away there Dave.

I actually saw him play myself, just after his debut.  It was against Hull and we came back from 0-2 down to win 3-2.  Can't remember anything about it though sadly.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 05:48:00 PM »
He was also our youngest captain.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 09:34:53 PM »
Part of the 1972 youth cup winning team beating Liverpool which also included Brian and Alan Little, John Gidman, Bobby McDonald, and Jake Findlay.

The Doc said we were looking at a future Scotland captain, I think he still lives round Birmingham.

Offline steamer

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 10:04:46 PM »
I think I remember him giving Francis a bit off a kicking

Offline SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 10:08:33 PM »
I also saw his debut and a few more games he played.  I don't remember whether he was any good.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 02:00:21 PM »
15 years and 349 days, to be exact, v Bolton on 17/9/1969.

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 11:56:56 AM »

Giving your age away there Dave.

I actually saw him play myself, just after his debut.  It was against Hull and we came back from 0-2 down to win 3-2.  Can't remember anything about it though sadly.
David Rudge with the winner and i don't think i've ever seen a goal celebrated with team mates since.

I met up with Davie Rudge many years later and made the point of asking why. The players basic salary was crap in those days but under Tommy Doc the win bonuses
were huge, and that being Villas first win of the season brought them their first win bonus, cue celebration.
Jimmy Brown certainly does live around Birmingham...the last time i saw him was in the Olde Royal in Church St. a couple of years ago.

Offline Godfrey Brian

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 10:38:42 PM »
That Hull game was one of my early ones and the first which really hooked me as a Villa fan.Coming back from two down helped. Standing three quarters  back on The Hole contributed too. Chatterley, Rudge and Godfrey were the scorers. Memory tells me that it was packed out - the stats show less than 24000 were there!

Jimmy Brown went on to work for West Midlands Probation Service as a Community Service Officer.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 06:41:12 PM »
In the 90s I worked for Kent Social Services and a lady who worked for me, on discovering I was a Villa supporter, told me she was a former player’s cousin - Jimmy Brown. I was excited to know more, as I was resigned to this being a footballing wilderness and the sheer randomness of it being Jimmy...but she knew nothing apart from the fact that he played for us and was nice.

Yes, it’s a lame story.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 12:18:15 PM »
When Jimmy Brown arrived at the Villa some of my school friends and i were very friendly with him .He was staying in digs in a house half way up Marsh Hill and he was a great guy .Then when Tommy Doc picked him for the first team ,he changed and had no time for us .My best memory of him is marking Trevor Francis out of the two F A Youth cup matches which was no mean feat at the time .

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 09:45:41 PM »
When Jimmy Brown arrived at the Villa some of my school friends and i were very friendly with him .He was staying in digs in a house half way up Marsh Hill and he was a great guy .Then when Tommy Doc picked him for the first team ,he changed and had no time for us .My best memory of him is marking Trevor Francis out of the two F A Youth cup matches which was no mean feat at the time .

We had some incredible attendances for those youth cup games. We started the first round against Boldmere St Michaels and there was about 2k, the Blues game in R4 pulled in getting on for 20k, Arsenal & Chelsea in R5 and S/F got in excess of 10k and the Liverpool final was close to 20k again. Impressive figures and we were still in the 3rd division.
As regards Jimmy marking 'mile and a bit' Francis out the games, bear in mind he was probably getting plenty of practice in training against the far superior Sir Brian.   

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2018, 07:58:26 AM »

We had some incredible attendances for those youth cup games. We started the first round against Boldmere St Michaels and there was about 2k, the Blues game in R4 pulled in getting on for 20k, Arsenal & Chelsea in R5 and S/F got in excess of 10k and the Liverpool final was close to 20k again. Impressive figures and we were still in the 3rd division.
As regards Jimmy marking 'mile and a bit' Francis out the games, bear in mind he was probably getting plenty of practice in training against the far superior Sir Brian.   
[/quote]

I went to every one of those Youth Cup games, plus the one at St Andrews.  The replay at Villa Park will have been mentioned in the Wettest Games thread.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal