collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Who am I?  (Read 1609 times)

Offline oldhill_avfc

Who am I?
« on: August 16, 2018, 07:19:05 AM »
Probably in response to the George Cummings thread, I was reminded of something which is probably at the the other end of the scale in terms of sporting élan.

Who is this?

Widen cricketer of the year.  England cricket cap.

England footballer and cup final winner.

Somewhat tragically he is the only person ever to have died while playing at Lords.

Offline Kevin Dawson

Re: Who am I?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 07:55:57 AM »
Andy Ducat

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 07:58:36 AM »
Never heard of him so I googled him. Found this bit interesting:

Eventually, he was sold for £1,000 to England's most successful club Aston Villa in 1912

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 08:24:58 AM »
I think he got out in his only test match by a piece of his bat being chipped off and hitting his stumps but I may be wrong.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 09:52:27 AM »
Wisden obituary
The sudden death at Lord's, on July 23, of Andrew Ducat, Surrey batsman of high talent and effective execution, England international Association footballer, captain of a cup-winning Aston Villa team, and in recent years cricket coach at Eton, came as a shock to countless friends and admirers. A man of delightful disposition, quiet and unassuming, he endeared himself to all who met him and as a reporter of games, after giving up activity in the field, he revealed his character in unbiassed, accurate descriptions of matches and criticisms of the high-class players who were his successors. The last time I saw Ducat he sat a few feet from me in the Press box at Lord's. He passed a pleasant remark as he joined his fellow writers and we watched the cricket, intent on the players in the field. Next thing I heard of him, a few days afterwards, was his final and fatal appearance at the crease, where we had seen other cricketers play the game with all the energy of keen sportsmen such as always identified his own efforts.

That Ducat should collapse and die, bat in hand, was the last thing anyone would have expected of such a well-set-up, vigorous, healthy-looking and careful-living man. Evidence of those in the field proved clearly that he expired directly after playing a stroke and as he prepared to receive another ball, for he was dead when carried to the pavilion. The medical report gave the cause of death--failure of a heart that showed signs of definite weakness.

The loss of Ducat in this way may be attributed to the war, but for which there would not have been the Home Guard for him to join. His Surrey Unit were playing their Sussex brothers-in-arms, and Ducat was not out at lunch-time. On resuming, he raised his score from 12 to 29 before the catastrophe occurred

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal