collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 2018/19 Squad  (Read 6829 times)

Offline Three Spires Villa

Re: 2018/19 Squad
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2019, 12:29:05 PM »

Edited to end of season, if we let all of the players out of contract go, and all the loanees, and don't include current academy players

Goal - Kalinic / Nyland / Sarkic / Sinisolo /

Centre Backs - Chester / Revan

Fullbacks - Elmo / Guilbert / Taylor / Bree

Defensive Midfield -

Central Midfield - Hourihane / Bjarni / Lansbury / McGinn /Gardner / Tshibola / Doyle-Hayes

Attacking Midfield - Grealish / Adomah / Green

Strikers - Kodjia / Hogan / Davis / RHM / McCormack / Hooper

Major rebuilding in the next few transfer windows IMHO.

Correct, which is what we keep bloody doing, will it ever end !!

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2019, 12:54:18 PM »
With everyone fit I think we'll see:

Kalinic

Hutton Chester Mings Hause

Carroll Tuanzebe

Green Mcginn Grealish

Abraham

I might have the left side of the defence the wrong way round but I think they'll both play. That's 5 loans so no room for El Ghazi on the bench.

I like that however I going to go Taylor and El ghazi in there for hause and green

I also not sure Smith would play Tuanzebe in midfield either he's playing full back or centre defence .

Elphick I guess has to earn his contract
And certainly think Jedinak and Whelan will be leaving maybe Hutton and Elmo too.

I am not sure why anyone keeps hanging their hopes on Green being the player some think he will be.

His ability to stay injury free has to be seriously doubted and in my mind so does his ability to secure a regular position (he needs to understand what that position is first himself) to warrant anyone picking him to start any time soon

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2019, 01:06:34 PM »
Every time you think RHM or Green should get a game they appear to be injured.
You can not build a carrear in the game by being unavailable.
I have no belief that either will make it.

Offline eddiemunster

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2019, 01:08:06 PM »

Edited to end of season, if we let all of the players out of contract go, and all the loanees, and don't include current academy players

Goal - Kalinic / Nyland / Sarkic / Sinisolo /

Centre Backs - Chester / Revan

Fullbacks - Elmo / Guilbert / Taylor / Bree

Defensive Midfield -

Central Midfield - Hourihane / Bjarni / Lansbury / McGinn /Gardner / Tshibola / Doyle-Hayes

Attacking Midfield - Grealish / Adomah / Green

Strikers - Kodjia / Hogan / Davis / RHM / McCormack / Hooper

Major rebuilding in the next few transfer windows IMHO.

Correct, which is what we keep bloody doing, will it ever end !!
[/quote
Unfortunately, we keep buying players who are coming to Villa for one final payday, or are panic buys. As far as I know, (or can remember)It seems that the transfer window just closed was a first, where we didn't buy someone near 30 and didn't pay over the odds either.

Online GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2019, 01:12:20 PM »
First of many, hopefully.

Offline eddiemunster

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2019, 12:32:45 PM »

Goal - Kalinic / Nyland / Sarkic /

Defence - Chester /  Taylor / Bree / Elmohamady /

Midfield - Hourihane / Bjarni / Lansbury / McGinn /Gardner / Tshibola / Doyle-Hayes / PGrealish / Green / Adomah /

Strikers - Kodjia / Hogan / Davis / RHM / McCormack /

Above info checked against  www.avfc.co.uk/squads.

Could also see Hogan and McCormack gone before next season, unless the current manager feels that they might contribute.

Will be interesting to see if any of the out of contract players will be given a new contract.

Out of contract at end of season;

Bunn, J Clarke, Elphick, Hutton, Jedinak, Knibbs, Lyden, McKirdy, Mooney, O'Hare, Richards, Rowe, Steer, Suliman, Taylor, Whelan, M Clark, De Laet.

Current academy players;

Hooper, Revan, Brunt, Sinisolo, Tait, Archer, Birch, Bridge, Burton, Bazeley-Graham, Campton-Sturridge, Farr, Guy, Ige, McConnachie, Odutayo, Onodi, Patterson, Pressley, Prosser, Sea, H Sohna, M Sohna, Vassilev, Walker, Wright, Philogene-Bidace, Lomax, Cox, Ramsey.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 05:36:30 PM by eddiemunster »

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2019, 10:16:24 PM »

Goal - Kalinic / Nyland / Sarkic /

Defence - Chester /  Taylor / Bree / Elmohamady /, Guilbert

Midfield - Hourihane / Bjarni / Lansbury / McGinn /Gardner / Tshibola / Doyle-Hayes / Grealish / Green / Adomah / O'Hare (assuming he stays)

Strikers - Kodjia / Hogan / Davis / RHM / McCormack /

out of those who are left, the vast majority wont be in Smith's plans next season.

The likes of Lansbury we wont be able to shift but those on the last year of their contracts like Kodjia and Adamoah will likely leave on cut price deals.

Would hardly be a surprise if others like Hourihane and Chester left either.

We will need to spend the Grealish money wisely.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2019, 10:34:53 PM »
Massive lack of quality left behind other than SJM and Chester.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2019, 09:07:24 AM »
the more you think about it the more you realize how enormous the summer rebuild is. I can see Tshibola playing next season, in C&B.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2019, 09:17:15 AM »
There’s a lot to do. It’s going to take some pretty canny dealings to get the right players in.

All areas are key, but I think for Smith’s style getting the right type of midfield players is critical.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2019, 11:39:47 AM »
the more you think about it the more you realize how enormous the summer rebuild is. I can see Tshibola playing next season, in C&B.

I do wonder if Smith might give him a look in the summer as an option for that defensive role.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2019, 12:11:58 PM »
If Tshibola comes back and plays for us again, it'll be the most amazing comeback since Bobby Ewing.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2019, 12:33:34 PM »
The concern with replacing so many players (and we have to) at this level is that the success rate of the signings can be a bit hit and miss, particularly with players for the future.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2019, 12:48:47 PM »
I would not be surprised to see Hutton and Whelan both given another years contract (if they are though offer them a £10k a week, 1 year deal, we need to start to pay like a Championship club), and a few of the youngsters like O'Hare will get new deal

For me though we need to be ruthless, this summer is the time to get rid of all the out of contract players, I don't want to hear Smith saying we have kept a few because they are good in  the dressing room, (except for the younger lads, who deserve a chance to see what they can do in the First team, no point in paying them if they are not to be given a chance).

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2019, 12:50:23 PM »

I do wonder if Smith might give him a look in the summer as an option for that defensive role.

I'd say next to no chance personally.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal