collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 653900 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #1500 on: October 15, 2019, 10:57:47 PM »
I think a lot of people were surpised at Ford leaving for Sunderland when we seemed better positioned than them. Basically, the reverse of the Darren Bent signing. I seem to recall reading about it in a past H&V issue and there was a suggestion, at the time, that they were being "creative" with the maximum wage rule.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1501 on: October 15, 2019, 10:59:15 PM »
Now Alan Brazil saying SJM would be a perfect fit for Man Utd. Also, he was gutted that Celtic didn't sign him last year.

I don't give a fuck what Brazil says.

Now we're starting to build a squad that's being talked about. Mings, McGinn and Grealish all rumoured to be coveted by other sides, Nakamba and Engels doing brilliantly too. I suspect Wesley will bang in a few more and be linked with a move too come the summer.

The great thing is, we don't need to sell.

Agree with all that and I suspect Guilbert will be linked as well because I'd rank him as our 2nd best player this year so far (after McGinn) and he is exactly what teams want in a modern fullback.

4 of those are truly inspired signings, McGinn, Guilbert, Nakamba and Engles for less than £20m is some of the best spending the club as ever done, they're over £100m in market value right now.
Was that £100m each? If they are prepared to pay £100m for Pogba and £80m for McGuire. As is said we don’t need to sell.Let’s hope the ambition of the owners,manager and players are the same and that we can finally stop being the selling club we’ve been since Gerry Hitchens and at last build a team around the best players 🙏

I said over £100m (as in that the minimum) and it was in the spirit of being conservative and not wanting to over hype players too quickly.

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #1502 on: October 15, 2019, 11:23:08 PM »
Now Alan Brazil saying SJM would be a perfect fit for Man Utd. Also, he was gutted that Celtic didn't sign him last year.

I don't give a fuck what Brazil says.

Now we're starting to build a squad that's being talked about. Mings, McGinn and Grealish all rumoured to be coveted by other sides, Nakamba and Engels doing brilliantly too. I suspect Wesley will bang in a few more and be linked with a move too come the summer.

The great thing is, we don't need to sell.

Agree with all that and I suspect Guilbert will be linked as well because I'd rank him as our 2nd best player this year so far (after McGinn) and he is exactly what teams want in a modern fullback.

4 of those are truly inspired signings, McGinn, Guilbert, Nakamba and Engles for less than £20m is some of the best spending the club as ever done, they're over £100m in market value right now.
Was that £100m each? If they are prepared to pay £100m for Pogba and £80m for McGuire. As is said we don’t need to sell.Let’s hope the ambition of the owners,manager and players are the same and that we can finally stop being the selling club we’ve been since Gerry Hitchens and at last build a team around the best players 🙏

I said over £100m (as in that the minimum) and it was in the spirit of being conservative and not wanting to over hype players too quickly.

Seems  a fair current market price if you can say £100m is fair . I am just worried in advance regarding McGinn , I’ve been watching us for forty two years and have seen plenty of great players . There hasn’t been an occasion though  where I couldn’t think of a player who could come in and possibly be their equal . I am struggling with him as I can’t think of anyone who could replace the minimum of two of him that seem to be on the pitch at any given time ( At Rotherham away I’m sure there were at least four of him)
Coupled to that I’ve been listening to arrogant shite from a Man Utd fan ( actually from Manchester ) telling me that when they come calling he’ll be off to Man U and be known around the world as a household name where as most people around the world have never heard of us , needless to say I do tell him what a tosser he is, It’s just making me pray harder for our club’s continued leadership and hopefully success coupled to their continued demise that he never feels the need to leave us .
When was the last time a great player saw out their entire career with us ?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #1503 on: October 15, 2019, 11:28:32 PM »
Maybe Brian Little, but only because he failed a medical at Mordor.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1504 on: October 15, 2019, 11:29:51 PM »
So who did you have coming in as the equal for McGrath?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1505 on: October 15, 2019, 11:31:11 PM »
How many great players see their career out at one club now anyway? Messi is the obvious exception but I can't think of too many others.

If we can keep the core of this side in place for next season so we can have a summer without a massive rebuild then I'll be happy, I can't bring myself to look much beyond that, I just want to get to the point where we signing 5-6 players across the 2 windows and not expecting them to be straight into the team and firing on all cylinders, that's when we'll start to see the consistency in performance and results that will show us how far this team can go.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #1506 on: October 15, 2019, 11:31:33 PM »
Well McGinn won't be seeing out his entire career with us unless we pretend he didn't play for St Mirren and Hibs.

Offline brentastonb6

« Reply #1507 on: October 15, 2019, 11:53:01 PM »
So who did you have coming in as the equal for McGrath?
I knew Tyrone Mings as a baby and knew if we hung around long enough he’d come good for us 😉
At the time you’re probably right although we have had other great centre halves who might never be held in the same high esteem and be given god like status but Ken McNaught before him helped win more silverware for us and I’d happily accept either in our defence . Laursen, Southgate and Ugo ditto so there’s plenty out there not far off him.  I can see in Liverpool’s Virgil a player I believe to be as cool and composed as our God. I just genuinely don’t see a replacement for McGinn and don’t want us to have to start looking or thinking.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #1508 on: October 15, 2019, 11:53:32 PM »
Lots of players don't see out their career at one club because their legs go and they have to play at a lower level. If McGinn leaves Villa aged 39 for some lower division, Scottish, MLS or Chinese team having helped us to seven straight European Cups, it won't be because Villa lack ambition.

Offline brentastonb6

« Reply #1509 on: October 15, 2019, 11:56:20 PM »
Lots of players don't see out their career at one club because their legs go and they have to play at a lower level. If McGinn leaves Villa aged 39 for some lower division, Scottish, MLS or Chinese team having helped us to seven straight European Cups, it won't be because Villa lack ambition.
Amen.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #1510 on: October 16, 2019, 12:02:06 AM »
Well as you're picking players as replacements for McGrath that had either retired or weren't playing yet then there'll obviously be replacements for McGinn either in the past or who have just been born. I assumed you meant players available at the time.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #1511 on: October 16, 2019, 12:03:33 AM »
Amen.

So are we ignoring Hibs and St Mirren or ignoring the "entire career" bit?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 12:28:11 AM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #1512 on: October 16, 2019, 09:27:41 AM »
The last player that I can think of that played a full, entire career for us was Charlie Aitken.  I don't count the twenty-one games he played for New York Cosmos as their league was in its infancy.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #1513 on: October 16, 2019, 09:31:45 AM »
If we're just talking about playing for the Villa for a long time (not necessarily a "great") Gabby?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1514 on: October 16, 2019, 09:41:47 AM »
The last player that I can think of that played a full, entire career for us was Charlie Aitken.  I don't count the twenty-one games he played for New York Cosmos as their league was in its infancy.

What's Brian Little done to you?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal