collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 653942 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #1155 on: July 01, 2019, 06:57:03 PM »
I'm fine with the idea of selling players for top money in general, I think that a big part of the reason why money is such a fucking mess in English football is that too many clubs have forgotten this, but this summer letting Grealish or McGinn leave would be a massive mistake. Staying in the league is the number one priority this season and the best way to do that is to keep the best players from last season where we can, That means, in priority order, Jack, Mings, McGinn and El Ghazi. We should be building the 11 around those guys and then using starters and fringe players from last season (Elmo, Taylor, Steer, Hourihane, Hause, Chester, Kodjia, Green) as much as possible on the bench, etc. It sees a dramatic improvement in the team but minimises the the overall squad changes which helps keep the winning culture we formed in place.

Offline danno

« Reply #1156 on: July 01, 2019, 08:42:27 PM »
Think in England at least, the transfer fees are so mental because TV money means no club is under any real financial pressure to sell.

It's why Palace can ask £50 million for Wan Bissaka, Leicester can ask £70 million for Maguire and just shrug if the interested clubs back off.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1157 on: July 01, 2019, 09:13:45 PM »
Think in England at least, the transfer fees are so mental because TV money means no club is under any real financial pressure to sell.

It's why Palace can ask £50 million for Wan Bissaka, Leicester can ask £70 million for Maguire and just shrug if the interested clubs back off.

But how does that apply to Bristol and Leeds wanting £20m+ for Webster and Phillips? Or Justin going for £8m. Those fees are inflated partly because there's loads of money around but also because so many clubs would rather bring players through after they have experience of first team football elsewhere.

Offline wolfman999

« Reply #1158 on: July 02, 2019, 12:46:39 PM »

But how does that apply to Bristol and Leeds wanting £20m+ for Webster and Phillips? Or Justin going for £8m. Those fees are inflated partly because there's loads of money around but also because so many clubs would rather bring players through after they have experience of first team football elsewhere.

The huge money available to Premiership clubs can be both a benefit and a curse. Clubs will quote higher prices because they know you have the money hence the inflation which filters down the leagues. Can't blame them really, I would.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #1159 on: July 02, 2019, 01:38:26 PM »
The professional, head side of me thinks that if £50million was offered for each of Grealish or McGinn  then the club should rip their hands off

The heart, emotional side of me thinks that these 2 represent the ethos and the whole spirit and heartbeat of our club so it could not be replaced.

And if I were to sell it would not be to that Red filth from Manchester

Offline mike

« Reply #1160 on: July 02, 2019, 01:45:46 PM »
The professional, head side of me thinks that if £50million was offered for each of Grealish or McGinn  then the club should rip their hands off

The heart, emotional side of me thinks that these 2 represent the ethos and the whole spirit and heartbeat of our club so it could not be replaced.

I think our survival this year depends upon keeping the heartbeat of the club, which is McGinn/Grealish. We couldn't just replace them like for like, and even if we could, the soul would have been ripped out of the squad.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #1161 on: July 02, 2019, 02:00:07 PM »
When people are paying 50 million for a rookie full back, you wonder how we could replace Jack for a similar fee.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1162 on: July 02, 2019, 02:17:06 PM »
I agree.  I think it's a situation where what they are worth to us right now probably far exceeds any objective market value.  Once we are safely consolidated in the league then wheeling and dealing has less risk.

Offline KRS

« Reply #1163 on: July 02, 2019, 02:32:08 PM »
When people are paying 50 million for a rookie full back, you wonder how we could replace Jack for a similar fee.
Man Utd appear to have shot themselves in the foot with that £50m signing...Leicester are already (and quite rightly) using it as a milestone and comparison for Man Utd’s pursuit of McGuire stating that £75m isn’t enough for an experienced international CB.

For me, £50-60m would be very tempting for SJM but he is worth more to us than his market value. If there were many affordable replacements available then Man Utd would be chasing those. We need to strengthen our team not weaken it by letting our best players go.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #1164 on: July 02, 2019, 04:13:09 PM »

I think our survival this year depends upon keeping the heartbeat of the club, which is McGinn/Grealish. We couldn't just replace them like for like, and even if we could, the soul would have been ripped out of the squad.

The logical side of me says that if we sold Grealish and Mcginn for whatever price we'd be heading straight back down to the Championship. You don't just replace players like that with ease. O maybe Jordan Vertout is available again?

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1165 on: July 13, 2019, 01:20:58 PM »
Not sure when this is from but must be recent looking at the Kappa badges on the training kit Jack and John. Brilliant

https://twitter.com/villareport/status/1149814288820908034?s=12

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1166 on: July 13, 2019, 09:57:04 PM »
Having fun. Good, team bonding and togetherness gonna be so important this season.

Offline Tuscans

• GM : 08.02.15
« Reply #1167 on: July 13, 2019, 11:19:26 PM »
To be handed a bumper contract according to papers.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1168 on: July 13, 2019, 11:22:36 PM »
Good stuff.

Offline jcsutv

« Reply #1169 on: July 13, 2019, 11:25:12 PM »
To be handed a bumper contract according to papers.

Well deserved

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal