collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 10:47:01 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Drummond
[Today at 10:46:43 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by LeeS
[Today at 10:41:26 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 10:41:25 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Drummond
[Today at 10:40:45 AM]

Re: Aston Villa: 150 Years Squads & Souvenirs by FrankyH
[Today at 10:37:01 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by ROBBO
[Today at 10:35:20 AM]

Re: Aston Villa: 150 Years Squads & Souvenirs by Towser
[Today at 10:31:28 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 665070 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #1125 on: June 30, 2019, 12:55:03 PM »
Yes.

What percentage? And is it up to a maximum amount?

I don’t think I’ve seen one more than 20% of profit. So less than £10 million. It would be great business by everyone, and set up by Steve Bruce in fairness to him. I’d be tempted in all honesty, get that Leeds fella or the equivalent and move on. I’d rather not, but this is where we’re at right now. Bigger clubs can still click their fingers.

So you'd sell one of our best players just because a big team supposedly put in a bid so we can 'move on'?

I’d rather we didn’t sell him, but I’d hope we’d ‘move on’ if we did.

Or we could sit and mope about it, is that what you expect us to do? I’d hope we’d signed his replacement and have this eventuality pre planned.

But you are talking as if it's already done and not just a few hours old paper rumour.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1126 on: June 30, 2019, 01:00:39 PM »
Someone could come in with a 50m bid for Grealish next week, next to no chance we'd sell him.

Think same applies to McGinn here, he's simply too important to lose at this point.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #1127 on: June 30, 2019, 01:09:14 PM »
John McGinn is a brilliant, brilliant player for us - and almost certainly essential if we're to consolidate as a premier league force this coming season.

BUT - do you really think ManU would spend £50m on him to add to a midfield that includes Pogba, Mata, Herrera, Lindgard, and Matic and think McGinn in the one who helps them go from outside the champions league places to title contenders? I don't.

Next summer, after he's spent a year showing everyone what he can do in the top flight, maybe - but for a team hoping to make up a thirty point gap on the champions, I just don't see it. 

Can you imagine the fan reaction if they spent £50m on a player who spent last season in the championship for a team that didn't even go up automatically? It just doesn't pass the smell test. At all.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1128 on: June 30, 2019, 01:13:12 PM »
I'm not really surprised at this story, he's a very good player indeed, highly unlikely we'd sell him though. He's also very close to grealish, so I think selling him would have a knock on effect on Jack.

Offline ldavfc4eva

« Reply #1129 on: June 30, 2019, 01:16:36 PM »
Herrera isn’t there any longer, he left on a free,so they have a space in the middle.

They have paid £50m for Wan Bissaka so it’s not beyond the realms of possibility they could pay the same for SGM

Just hope we tell them where to go if they do come calling, the thing is a club like United May only call once and players get their heads turned by such offers.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #1130 on: June 30, 2019, 01:18:14 PM »
John McGinn is a brilliant, brilliant player for us - and almost certainly essential if we're to consolidate as a premier league force this coming season.

BUT - do you really think ManU would spend £50m on him to add to a midfield that includes Pogba, Mata, Herrera, Lindgard, and Matic and think McGinn in the one who helps them go from outside the champions league places to title contenders? I don't.

Next summer, after he's spent a year showing everyone what he can do in the top flight, maybe - but for a team hoping to make up a thirty point gap on the champions, I just don't see it. 

Can you imagine the fan reaction if they spent £50m on a player who spent last season in the championship for a team that didn't even go up automatically? It just doesn't pass the smell test. At all.

Pogba wants to leave, Herrera already has (PSG), Matic looked past it in run in last season although still there, Mata and Lingard more number 10 players . Certainly an area where they could sign 1-2 players.

Man. United policy now seems to be going after under 25 players given the two they've signed already, that said I've read they're more interested in Longstaff from Newcastle.

Edit: They signed Fred for 50m last summer but he looked ill suited to premier league. Still there for now.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1131 on: June 30, 2019, 01:19:24 PM »
I think Manure will be having a huge clear out including Pogba Mata Matic,
OGS has got a mandate for a rebuild and he has a huge problem with mentality.
No idea if that makes the SJM a target or not, but it’s in The Sun.

What I do know, is that our owners number 1 priority is surviving next season in the PL.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1132 on: June 30, 2019, 01:25:22 PM »
I just think it would be a lose-lose(-lose). SJM is so great but I'm not convinced that he's ready to be the kind of player that United expect for £50m, even these days, and he'd be going into a situation highly unlikely to help him settle in and succeed in any long term sense. United are a shambles, Solskjaer doomed to failure and I could well imagine players like SJM and Wan Bissaka being made scapegoats (partly based on their fees) after United inevitably fail to get back into the Champions League again. Meanwhile, we get a bunch of money but we already have too many to replace, we can't replace both his quality and his understanding with Jack just overnight. It could well end up a legendary bad transfer for all concerned.

Online maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #1133 on: June 30, 2019, 01:41:01 PM »
I’m probably in a minority here, but I’d take £50m for him. Being honest, he isn’t THAT good and if it meant we then used the money to bring Philips, another midfielder and say Tuanzebe in, it would be great business.
I agree.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #1134 on: June 30, 2019, 01:47:31 PM »
If we sign a good DM (not convicned at premier league level Phillips would be) then him, Grealish and McGinn is mid table level standard premier league midfield.

It's the area where we would have least amount of work to do in building the club up.

If we sell McGinn we also have to replace him while also find two good centre halfs, another decent wide player and prolific striker.

At this stage of building the club up I just don't feel it would be smart move to cash in. It would be similar to Wolves selling Ruben Neves last summer when his stock was high.

They kept him, signed 2-3 other quality players around him and he more than played his part in them finishing 7th.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1135 on: June 30, 2019, 01:59:02 PM »
I’m probably in a minority here, but I’d take £50m for him. Being honest, he isn’t THAT good and if it meant we then used the money to bring Philips, another midfielder and say Tuanzebe in, it would be great business.
I agree.

I don't. We have loads of money, just go and improve the squad without selling any of our star players.

In any case, they haven't offered £50 million, the article suggests that's what we want, not what they want to pay. They would likely offer roughly the same amount that Leeds want for Phillips.

It would be a completely pointless deal.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1136 on: June 30, 2019, 02:05:22 PM »
Phillips and Tuanzebe would be the best part of £30m, taking into account the Leeds valuation for Phillips.
Who would you get that is better than McGinn for the remaining money?
I agree.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #1137 on: June 30, 2019, 02:27:27 PM »
Yeah, Wolves players like Neves, Jota and the manager seem to slip under the radar. Having said that, I think SJM is better than Neves!

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1138 on: June 30, 2019, 02:29:41 PM »
Yeah, Wolves players like Neves, Jota and the manager seem to slip under the radar. Having said that, I think SJM is better than Neves!
No comparison as they are totally different players.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #1139 on: June 30, 2019, 02:45:46 PM »

Neves was being linked to Man. City last season although seems to have gone quiet there so hopefully little in this McGinn link aswell. Seems Wolves put 100m price tag and Pep was no longer interested.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal