collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 653932 times)

Online Dave P

• GM : PCM
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #1065 on: June 30, 2019, 07:28:42 AM »
Any sale price will depend on how badly Man U want him as we will know how badly we need him!

Online frank black

« Reply #1066 on: June 30, 2019, 07:42:29 AM »
£50 mil?!

Well that’s his left foot purchased. If we have any wish to be a top team, we keep our top players.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #1067 on: June 30, 2019, 07:43:23 AM »
Not going anywhere we need to get in the habit of ignoring most of this rubbish because the press will invent a byeline when they really have nothing.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #1068 on: June 30, 2019, 07:46:03 AM »
Selling McGinn now would unnecessarily pop the good vibes bubble and considerably weaken us.  I don’t care how much they offer, the answer should be a resounding and definite no. 

Exactly. Imagine if Spurs offer £85m for Jack at the same time. We have to draw a line, otherwise we'll be starting from scratch.

With the best will in the world, I don’t think we’ll be in a position to turn down £85m for one player. I know it’s hypothetical.

If we can't now, we will never, ever be able to.

Offline Perthvillan

• GM : 25.08.2023
« Reply #1069 on: June 30, 2019, 08:11:49 AM »
SJM had the chance to sign for Celtic this time last year but chose us and second division football.
He simply loves us and I would be very surprised and gutted if this were to happen no matter how much those bastards offer for him.
Who would want to join them at the moment anyway, they are a shambles.

Online andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #1070 on: June 30, 2019, 08:27:31 AM »
I don’t want him to go of course, but it’s a nice demonstration of how ‘develop and sell’ would work for us. It’s how Spuds got to the position they are today.   

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #1071 on: June 30, 2019, 08:28:59 AM »
If manu were in the champions league with a settled manager i’d be more worried.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1072 on: June 30, 2019, 08:36:38 AM »
Doesn’t the rag that started this ‘story’ realise that we are owned by people who are richer than UTDs owners?

If we were able to keep hold of Jack last summer, despite being in the Championship, then I have no doubt the club will laugh off this latest piece of bullshit.

Cue SJM signing a lovely new contract next week though, and deservedly so.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #1073 on: June 30, 2019, 08:40:23 AM »
I don’t want him to go of course, but it’s a nice demonstration of how ‘develop and sell’ would work for us. It’s how Spuds got to the position they are today.   

Know what you mean, but would Spurs have had the same trajectory had they sold Bale after one season?  There has to be some balance to the approach you talk about and if we're to stay in the league (hopefully comfortably), selling McGinn would be massively risky. 

Anyway, hopefully it's just the familiar agent-planting-story-to-get-player-better-money scenario.   

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1074 on: June 30, 2019, 08:45:24 AM »
If manu were in the champions league with a settled manager i’d be more worried.

This, all day long. OGS will most likely be binned by Christmas. They can't get a tune out of many of their players and finished 6th in a four horse race! SJM beware, this is not the United that once was.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #1075 on: June 30, 2019, 08:46:13 AM »
Man Utd aren't going to shell £50m on a player that's had 1 very good season in the Championship any more than Tottenham were going to shell £40m on a player that had one great half season in the Championship and a handful of half decent games in the PL previously.
Those two are the best players we have in our squad currently and we need to keep them ideally but i'd say these owners are proper businessmen and they'll sell if it would be crazy not too from a business sense.
So once again, like last summer, the 'top 6' won't offer the kind of money that would tempt them in my opinion.
Honestly, i love McGinn, one of the best (and my personal favourites) we've had since MON left but £50m would be good business sense at this point. If he has as good a season as we think he will this season for us it would probably be less of a good deal for us after that, but at this point as much as i rate him, he's not the caliber of player Man Utd need to push them from 5-6th in the PL to 1-2nd. The players they've been signing so far this summer are not dissimilar in quality mind.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1076 on: June 30, 2019, 08:56:06 AM »
I’m probably in a minority here, but I’d take £50m for him. Being honest, he isn’t THAT good and if it meant we then used the money to bring Philips, another midfielder and say Tuanzebe in, it would be great business.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1077 on: June 30, 2019, 08:57:20 AM »
Not surprised at all that he is in transfer news. We will be mad to let him go now as I reckon he will be a big factor in us having a decent season in EPL and it will have a negative effect on Jack and the rest of the squad. It will also hinder our ability to secure good players we have targeted.
 Having said that in a world where Griezmann is valued at £100M 50M is a lot yes a lot of money for someone like John. So if they come and John wants to go let’s squeeze as much as we can. They can also pay the Hibs sell on share.

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #1078 on: June 30, 2019, 09:01:05 AM »
It’s Alan Nixon.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #1079 on: June 30, 2019, 09:04:00 AM »
I think the point is Risso, neither us or Man Utd know how good he is really as he's never played a game in the PL to be fully tested. In which case, £50m sounds like a ridiculous gamble, which i reckon is a bolllox story but i suppose you never fail to be suprised with modern football. It also depends from our point of view how much of a problem it is from FFP and our own resources to be paying £11m for Target, £22m for Wesley, £14m or whatever for Mings, £22m for Butland and £25m or so for Phillips. If we don't really need the money (as i suspect we don't) that's one consideration, but as i stated earlier, whichever way you look at it £50m whould make good business sense for us regardless.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal