collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 11:01:42 PM]

Gordon Cowans by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 11:00:13 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 10:36:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[Today at 08:43:00 PM]

Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 11:01:42 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 11:00:13 PM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:34 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 10:44:59 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by eamonn
[Today at 10:38:10 PM]

Re: FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 10:36:39 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 654079 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #915 on: April 16, 2019, 08:45:06 PM »
Is it the person who did

?

One of our number sung that song in its entirety in a Swiss Cottage boozer.

Offline KRS

« Reply #916 on: April 16, 2019, 09:31:26 PM »
I think this one needs putting to bed...Dean Smith isn't an idiot, and if SJM gets one more yellow card in any game he plays (before and including Norwich) then I fully expect him to hook him straight away and he won't play again until the playoff games. Both SJM and the management team will be fully aware of the situation, and no doubt SJM will be mindful and on strict instructions to be extremely cautious with his challenges and conduct. Can we all please stop wetting the bed on this.

That is how I see it aswell. Said similar earlier to another Villa fan.

I don't think wetting knickers and pissing pants are reasonable responses to the points raised by fellow posters even though I strongly disagree with them.

That is that on that.
Apologies if either of my comments caused any unintended offence to yourself or anyone else.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #917 on: April 16, 2019, 09:36:29 PM »
Not at all. No knickers in a twist here.

Offline mike

« Reply #918 on: April 16, 2019, 09:46:09 PM »
I think this one needs putting to bed...Dean Smith isn't an idiot, and if SJM gets one more yellow card in any game he plays (before and including Norwich) then I fully expect him to hook him straight away and he won't play again until the playoff games. Both SJM and the management team will be fully aware of the situation, and no doubt SJM will be mindful and on strict instructions to be extremely cautious with his challenges and conduct. Can we all please stop wetting the bed on this.

I don't think wetting knickers and pissing pants are reasonable responses to the points raised by fellow posters even though I strongly disagree with them.

That is that on that.

It's of little consequence, but it was the bed, not knickers, which were being wet. I suppose that means the anxiety (much like the urine) is expressed whilst unconscious.

Offline mike

« Reply #919 on: April 16, 2019, 09:53:52 PM »
Oh, and the simple concept that 'Dean Smith is not an idiot' is the kind of thing the bed/knicker wetters don't factor in when failing to control their bladders. In fact it's massively common to think other people are incapable of seeing what is blindingly obvious to ourselves. If I was paying someone X million pounds to manage Aston Villa, I would expect him to be aware of the situation and have a plan rather than wake up sweating in the night when McGinn gets his 15th yellow card thinking, 'oh, fuck, why didn't I consider that.'

Having said all of which, much as I have previously admitted that I have a deep man love for SJM, I would really like him to just stop fouling people so much.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #920 on: April 16, 2019, 10:15:33 PM »
Oh, and the simple concept that 'Dean Smith is not an idiot' is the kind of thing the bed/knicker wetters don't factor in when failing to control their bladders. In fact it's massively common to think other people are incapable of seeing what is blindingly obvious to ourselves. If I was paying someone X million pounds to manage Aston Villa, I would expect him to be aware of the situation and have a plan rather than wake up sweating in the night when McGinn gets his 15th yellow card thinking, 'oh, fuck, why didn't I consider that.'

Having said all of which, much as I have previously admitted that I have a deep man love for SJM , I would really like him to just stop fouling people so much.

I'm glad to see that you've moved on from Grealish now Mike. Leave him to me, I'll look after him. SJM much more your type, I would've thought (winking face).

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #921 on: April 16, 2019, 10:26:08 PM »

That is that on that.
Apologies if either of my comments caused any unintended offence to yourself or anyone else.

No problem here, KRS. I was just pointing out that that it might inflame the argument. Nothing wrong with that either, sometimes.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #922 on: April 17, 2019, 12:03:02 AM »
I'd play him in the next two, even if he gets booked against Bolton. I'd rather risk him not playing in the first leg than risk not qualifying at all.

If results go our way, we could have top six secured after the Millwall game. We can rest him then.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #923 on: April 17, 2019, 12:34:35 AM »
The whole point is that Mcginn has to take some responsibility here for getting into a position if 13 yellows for the season.
As much as I laud him one should recognise his utter failings in his continued cautions.
People say it's for Smith to manage and to be aware yet I'm the only one debating why he may have received all those yellows and also stating that it's really poor by player himself to put himself in that situation as much as it is the manager.
The easy out is to blame Steve Bruce of course I mean he signed him !
However if Mcginn messes it up then it undoes all the good and excellence he's brought to the midfield even if he is mine and many favourites.
For me his bookings should have been addressed at 10 and that suspension now he's in the situation .
However I gave a good account to potential why he is fouling and it would be nice for others to even contemplate Mcginn and his fouling ways and what he should be doing about it.

I already suggested it's the refs and lack of protection plus something systematically wrong that he gets fouled twice as much as he gives away fouls . I think that unfair measure means opposition players get more nibbles where as our John is given less leniency.
Whatever the reasons the fact is he himself has got into the position of 13 yellows and needs to think about what he's going a heck of a lot more now but should have been doing this even more so.
I hope this teaches him and that he can learn from situation as he's a liability in that respect if he isn't addressing this.
Losing inplay offs in part to Mcginn being suspended for example would have to then lose a lot of love for him
Love is blind to a lot on here and it has to be argued that Mcginn as a player who gets cautioned is a weakness and frustrated that has been a constant situation.
I adore his work rate enthusiasm and endeavour not to mention his combative style and drive with the ball.
The goals and sheer brilliance is there but he's also very foolish and that needs to be said even if we all love him.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #924 on: April 17, 2019, 01:57:15 AM »
Footy you often bring some useful research or fresh perspective to discussions on here, but I’m wondering if on this thread you are closer to getting yellow carded for getting worked up with yourself here. I think we’ve clocked there is an issue/risk re: the number of cards. There is some awareness that the role and style of play (an ankle biting terrier of a midfielder who when covering half the pitch also knows when to take one for the team) means more risk of being carded. Yes he needs to reduce the number of bookings, yes this might be hard given his style of play, yes we can be confident the club’s management have noticed all of the above too.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #925 on: April 17, 2019, 06:49:18 AM »
Personally, I am concerned about the tightrope McGinn is walking.  Yes, I agree that 1 more booking and he will be pulled until the play offs so it is not a major worry but more a niggle as we seek to keep up continuity.

I'm interested to see the teams picked for our next 2 games over the Easter period.  There certainly has to be the temptation to rotate, especially those who I mentioned before as having played the last 3 games in a week.

Offline mike

« Reply #926 on: April 17, 2019, 06:51:32 AM »

Having said all of which, much as I have previously admitted that I have a deep man love for SJM , I would really like him to just stop fouling people so much.

I'm glad to see that you've moved on from Grealish now Mike. Leave him to me, I'll look after him. SJM much more your type, I would've thought (winking face).

I haven’t moved on, I’m conflicted. I can’t see it ending happily.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #927 on: April 17, 2019, 11:16:41 AM »
Mcginn gets twice as fouled as he fouls but gets cautioned as much as other championship players who dish out more fouls and cautioned more than some players who dish out more fouls!
Something isn't right .
It's up to player himself  also to be aware he's targeted by refs and other players.
All a learning process.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #928 on: April 17, 2019, 12:15:37 PM »

That is that on that.

It's of little consequence, but it was the bed, not knickers, which were being wet. I suppose that means the anxiety (much like the urine) is expressed whilst unconscious.

I think your argument is unTENAble  ;)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #929 on: April 17, 2019, 12:19:50 PM »
Mcginn gets twice as fouled as he fouls but gets cautioned as much as other championship players who dish out more fouls and cautioned more than some players who dish out more fouls!
Something isn't right .
It's up to player himself  also to be aware he's targeted by refs and other players.
All a learning process.

What does this even mean?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal