collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 653672 times)

Offline footyskillz

Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #405 on: October 01, 2018, 10:34:47 PM »
I wouldn't be averse to Mcginn given bench and brought in if to get a right balance in team for the Preston match.
Just as a consideration and consequence as least performing and all that from last match at Bristol so he should but I don't think will be 'rested'

However he scored best goal ever recently so really don't think he will be not included though looks like needs a rest .
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 10:36:40 PM by footyskillz »

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #406 on: October 02, 2018, 08:11:40 AM »
I love McGinn

Hourihane seems our most reliable source of goals and assists at the moment

Jack is in theory our best player

But I can't figure out how to get them all in the same side consistently

People say you don't need a holding midfielders, that we didn't really have one when we won the league.

But there's a reason even the most attacking teams play with one. Football has changed. Even championship teams play with players between the lines nowadays.

When cantona came to England he was the best player in the league, despite having no pace and never doing anything internationally and in Europe. A major reason was that 442 just couldn't deal with a man playing behind the striker.

It might work against Rotherham but it's not the sustainable way forwards

Online boozey182

• GM : PCM
« Reply #407 on: October 02, 2018, 11:04:25 AM »
I think a midfield with Hourihane in will always struggle to boss a match. He doesn't have the bite, drive or energy to get a proper grip on a game, in my opinion. But he's proved already this season that he can change matches coming off the bench; when there's a bit more space on the pitch and he can get a bit of time on the ball, he can be very useful.

It's got to be McGinn, Jack and one of Jedinak, Whelan or Bjanasson, which we can rotate depending on who we're playing. With two wingers (Bolasie and El Ghazi) playing off Tammy up front. We then have Kodjia and Hourihane to come off the bench to change things around. Of course, we'd never need them, as that front six should smash every team in this league.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #408 on: October 02, 2018, 12:07:39 PM »
I think we could see an odd line-up tonight. Odd in that it will be in line with what we want, but with odd tactics. So that when we lose he can say 'I told you so' or if we win, 'I've been wanting to try that lineup for a while but couldn't get everyone fit'.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #409 on: October 02, 2018, 12:19:07 PM »
I think a midfield with Hourihane in will always struggle to boss a match. He doesn't have the bite, drive or energy to get a proper grip on a game, in my opinion. But he's proved already this season that he can change matches coming off the bench; when there's a bit more space on the pitch and he can get a bit of time on the ball, he can be very useful.

It's got to be McGinn, Jack and one of Jedinak, Whelan or Bjanasson, which we can rotate depending on who we're playing. With two wingers (Bolasie and El Ghazi) playing off Tammy up front. We then have Kodjia and Hourihane to come off the bench to change things around. Of course, we'd never need them, as that front six should smash every team in this league.

Agree with that.  On paper, we have got some good attacking and midfield options.

Offline davidb

« Reply #410 on: October 02, 2018, 01:35:47 PM »
Feels like he  was bought to replace Grealish so having them in the same team feels like a stretch

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #411 on: October 02, 2018, 01:40:21 PM »
Feels like he  was bought to replace Grealish so having them in the same team feels like a stretch

I said on here a while back that Grealish hasn't looked as effective since Mcginn has come in.

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #412 on: October 02, 2018, 02:28:00 PM »

I said on here a while back that Grealish hasn't looked as effective since Mcginn has come in.
You both mean that Bruce can't work out how to use 2 talents in his midfield. Pep found that hard with Xavi and Iniesta,Silva and deBruyne.Poch has difficulties with Alli and Ericksen.Where would he have played Grealish ?
Give Jack a freer role,he is outstanding at finding space and beating players.The closer to the opponents's box he is,the more dangerous he becomes.McGinn seems to possess all round talents,kudos to Bruce for getting him,and could feature in any midfield position.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #413 on: October 02, 2018, 04:49:01 PM »

You both mean that Bruce can't work out how to use 2 talents in his midfield. Pep found that hard with Xavi and Iniesta,Silva and deBruyne.Poch has difficulties with Alli and Ericksen.Where would he have played Grealish ?
Give Jack a freer role,he is outstanding at finding space and beating players.The closer to the opponents's box he is,the more dangerous he becomes.McGinn seems to possess all round talents,kudos to Bruce for getting him,and could feature in any midfield position.

Rob, I like John McGinn. A lot. But never use any of our midfielders or concerns dipshit Bruce might have in the same book let alone sentence as Xavi/Iniesta or Pep/Pochettino

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #414 on: October 03, 2018, 09:18:43 AM »
The way mcginn won ball and set it up for Abraham is what I most liked about him.

I would have him ahead of Whelan to take a pen too!

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #415 on: October 03, 2018, 09:22:01 AM »

Exactly.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #416 on: October 04, 2018, 09:13:18 PM »
Called up to the scotland squad vs Israel and Portugal

Offline kieron

« Reply #417 on: October 04, 2018, 09:44:50 PM »
Ok

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #418 on: October 04, 2018, 09:52:20 PM »
He was terrible against PNE. His worst game so far.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #419 on: October 04, 2018, 09:59:02 PM »
And still forced a goal, so he’s not doing too bad.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal