collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 09:59:18 AM]

FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:10:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:00:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Richard E
[Today at 10:00:37 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 09:59:18 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 654450 times)

Offline cheltenhamlion

Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #105 on: August 08, 2018, 11:30:40 PM »
Do we adopt Sunshine on Leith? I think we'd struggle to top that.

My youngest would love it!

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #106 on: August 08, 2018, 11:31:20 PM »
I don't know a thing about him except Hibs fans are absolutely gutted.

You know more than me then! But sounds promising.

Hibs fans referring to him as a 'legend'. Almost everyone wishing him well and quite a few have now decided for the first time they an "English club" to support.

Also mentioned that despite an undisclosed fee, there are rumours of a additional £2m promotion fee if and when we go up.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #107 on: August 08, 2018, 11:33:00 PM »

The Express says that Packie Bonner says that Brendan Rogers will be fuming. Fuckin A.

Before some bright spark asks how Packie knows what Brending is thinking, I would like to proffer a preemptive "for cough".

What a great day to be a Villa fan!

He probably is fuming - at their board. They could have had the deal done ages ago but quibbled over pennies. I imagine Pocchetino is probably feeling a similar way with Levy.

Further explanation ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45112506

He’s a full-back though.

And ironically would be perfect for us if Bryan has gone to Fulham.

With the article, I assume the lower part of the article is the relevant bit as it basically said what I had said.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 11:48:15 PM by OCD »

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #108 on: August 08, 2018, 11:34:45 PM »
Good fill in for Snoddy and someone who can understand Hutton perhaps

He is going to piss over the rest of our midfield. Stoke flogging Adam to Liverpool comes to mind. He can play (as affirmed by a Motherwell season ticket holder I know).

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2018, 11:35:46 PM »
I know a couple of hibs fans and from what they've said, and the videos I can find I think he's the player we all want Thor to be.  Works his balls off, tenacious in defence but has a decent passing game and a good shot on him. If it were up to me I spend a few months slowly bringing him on to replace Jedi/Whelan. I still want us to give game time to the kids though (once more, I think Jack Clarke could be a fantastic player in a few years) but I'd be much happier bringing them in alongside someone like McGinn than expecting them to run for Jedi or Whelan.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #110 on: August 08, 2018, 11:45:50 PM »
Never mind. Having a nightmare quoting comments from my iPad.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 11:47:34 PM by OCD »

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #111 on: August 08, 2018, 11:47:32 PM »
My old man is a Hearts fan and says McGinn has been brilliant for Hibs and reckons he'll be great for us too.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #112 on: August 08, 2018, 11:49:13 PM »
Looks a cracking player. In the Bruce world, I am not sure who he replaces in the team though. At home I would hope Whelan and we really go for it.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #113 on: August 08, 2018, 11:52:41 PM »
I know a couple of hibs fans and from what they've said, and the videos I can find I think he's the player we all want Thor to be.  Works his balls off, tenacious in defence but has a decent passing game and a good shot on him. If it were up to me I spend a few months slowly bringing him on to replace Jedi/Whelan. I still want us to give game time to the kids though (once more, I think Jack Clarke could be a fantastic player in a few years) but I'd be much happier bringing them in alongside someone like McGinn than expecting them to run for Jedi or Whelan.

Looks more of an attacking midfielder to me Paul from the clips I have seen.  Despite his goals last season, I didn't think Hourihane's all round game was good enough and hope that McGinn will challenge for his place. 

Think the kid will need time to settle and expectations should be adjusted accordingly.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #114 on: August 08, 2018, 11:53:14 PM »

VERY happy about this signing. I just hope our lot stick with him and don't expect miracles straight away

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2018, 12:08:14 AM »

Looks more of an attacking midfielder to me Paul from the clips I have seen.  Despite his goals last season, I didn't think Hourihane's all round game was good enough and hope that McGinn will challenge for his place. 

Think the kid will need time to settle and expectations should be adjusted accordingly.

I think he has played more attacking but I suspect he'll have to move deeper to be successful in the championship and with his mobility and shot he could easily play a little deeper and be in place for the 2nd ball and get plenty of chances.

I think we need to start concentrating on adding pace, technical skill and mobility to the team and by getting him to replace Whelan/Jedi you add loads of extra pace with the only loss being Jedi's aerial ability (and you'd bring him in for games where that's going to be helpful).  There aren't many teams in the league with an 8 or 10 who'd worry me to the point where we need the extra man sitting in so we can afford to look at a '1 stay 1 go' setup in midfield, Maybe with McGinn and Thor together (but then looking at getting the kids involved as well).

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2018, 04:40:23 AM »
Almost everyone plays with a holding midfielder nowadays

He looks more of an 8 than a 6 so I agree he may compete with hourihane especially if he's got a better all round game

But perhaps Bruce does think he can hold midfield.

Offline b23

• GM : 02.09.2019
« Reply #117 on: August 09, 2018, 08:55:17 AM »

The Express says that Packie Bonner says that Brendan Rogers will be fuming. Fuckin A.

Before some bright spark asks how Packie knows what Brending is thinking, I would like to proffer a preemptive "for cough".

What a great day to be a Villa fan!

He probably is fuming - at their board. They could have had the deal done ages ago but quibbled over pennies. I imagine Pocchetino is probably feeling a similar way with Levy.

Further explanation ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45112506

He’s a full-back though.

And ironically would be perfect for us if Bryan has gone to Fulham.

With the article, I assume the lower part of the article is the relevant bit as it basically said what I had said.

Yes. The last three paragraphs.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #118 on: August 09, 2018, 09:05:30 AM »
Got a reply from a Hibs season ticket holder mate of mine this morning, having asked about him last night about McGinn as I don't know much about Scottish football:

"Gutted! He's bloody brilliant mate! Can do everything. He won't be the best attacking, creative or defensive midfielder in the league, but he might be the best midfielder at doing a bit of all three. A bit like a young Roy Keane (but not that level yet, obviously). He can also run all day long. He'll make your team better, nae bother."

In a follow-up he said he doesn't really "boss" games like Keane, as the guy pulling the strings most of the time for Hibs last season was McGeouch, who has just joined Sunderland on a free.  McGinn definitely the better all-round player though.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #119 on: August 09, 2018, 09:47:23 AM »
Almost everyone plays with a holding midfielder nowadays

He looks more of an 8 than a 6 so I agree he may compete with hourihane especially if he's got a better all round game

But perhaps Bruce does think he can hold midfield.

I really hope he's going to play the Whelan/Jedinak role.  The problem with playing with either of the two older players is that as good as they are at reading the game and breaking up play, as soon as you want to launch a quick counterattack you're effectively playing with 10 men. It's what Onomah SHOULD have been doing last year, but hope that this lad can be the upgrade we need.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal