collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Wigan Pre-Match Thread  (Read 18492 times)

Offline mcgrath_85

Re: Aston Villa vs Wigan Pre-Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2018, 06:25:25 PM »
1-1.  Our record against them at home in league games is mostly rubbish.  I think they'll still have that newly promoted buzz about them, and we've still got Steve Bruce in charge.
Do you ever take a break?

From giving my opinion?  Any reason I should, or listen to somebody with a whole 362 posts to his name?
That told me. I didn’t realise the number of posts one makes is a factor in this argument. Perhaps in the past I have wanted to express my opinion about Steve Bruce but held back to avoid sounding repetitive.

I don't think anybody would care.  As for holding back about giving your opinion about Bruce, it's literally all you do.  That and having a go at fans who don't share your opinion.

Can someone with under 400 posts (me) say something that doesn’t agree with Risso opinion.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2018, 06:28:52 PM »
Of course. If you read through the posts, it was him stating that I wasn't allowed to give mine, and not the other way round.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2018, 06:29:32 PM »
3-0. Cafu hat trick.

Offline Taylor

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2018, 06:31:07 PM »
1-1.  Our record against them at home in league games is mostly rubbish.  I think they'll still have that newly promoted buzz about them, and we've still got Steve Bruce in charge.
Do you ever take a break?

From giving my opinion?  Any reason I should, or listen to somebody with a whole 362 posts to his name?
That told me. I didn’t realise the number of posts one makes is a factor in this argument. Perhaps in the past I have wanted to express my opinion about Steve Bruce but held back to avoid sounding repetitive.

I don't think anybody would care.  As for holding back about giving your opinion about Bruce, it's literally all you do.  That and having a go at fans who don't share your opinion.
Actually, I post my opinion on many different threads, and perhaps I should have stuck to the Bruce one to “have a go” at you. I apologise if it offended. Anyway let’s hope we beat Wigan on Saturday

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2018, 06:42:40 PM »
Absolutely.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2018, 06:54:16 PM »
We do have a pretty crap record at home against this mob. I'll settle for any old scrappy win. We can worry about developing a pattern and playing scintillating football as the season goes on. Just pick up as many points as we can for now and don't leave ourselves having to play catch up again.

Mon you Lions.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2018, 07:05:45 PM »
3 points is the most important thing. We're lucky to have such soft fixtures at the start of the season which should allow us to not only pick up maximum points but time to bed in the new players. My only fear right now is that Bruce has too many players to choose from and it will take him until after Xmas to find his best XI.

That said, like last season where we mainly relied on individual brilliance to win games rather than a great team performances, I think we have enough talent in the team to get us the 3 points on Saturday. It would help us if PaulE could repeat his Tuesday's pre-match "Hutton offers nothing going forward" comment with a line or two of how shit Kodja is. ;)

No excuses. 3-0 Villa win and a chance to give a few of the new boys a few minutes off the bench.

To be fair that's the first time Hutton has scored in about 4 years.  I was also talking about when he plays on the left and I stand by that.  He did well as left back cover last year because he stayed in our half and defended.

You won't get any kodjia criticism out of me though because, for me, he looks like a player who is struggling with confidence and fitness. If he can get through 4-5 more games without injury and can grab a goal or 2 I think we'll see the guy who scored 19 for us 2 years ago.

As it stands, I like the idea of the back 3 that's been posted somewhere.

Nyland

Hutton Chester Tuanzebe
Elmo                                          Bryan
             Hourihane   McGinn
                       Grealish
     Green                            Kodjia

RHM on the bench to get the last 20-25 minutes again. I've put Green and Kodjia quite wide on purpose so we can try to drag the central defenders a little wider and create space for the midfield 3 to attack.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2018, 07:09:52 PM »
Aston Vila 8 (Eight) Wigan 0

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2018, 07:11:41 PM »
I like that team but fear with so many options, we'll have the same Bruce in a sweet shop. Let's pray he can fully use the talent available to him.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2018, 07:16:32 PM »
I like that team but fear with so many options, we'll have the same Bruce in a sweet shop. Let's pray he can fully use the talent available to him.

He'll be licking his lips at the prospect of fielding seven defenders and four goalies.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2018, 07:25:33 PM »

He'll be licking his lips at the prospect of fielding seven defenders and four goalies.

I did question when we signed Moreira where Bruce would play him.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2018, 08:05:40 PM »

I did question when we signed Moreira where Bruce would play him.

He's taking over from Samba as an emergency striker.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2018, 09:23:49 PM »
If we go with the same 11 as Monday I actually think we could lose this one. That win masked a multitude of problems

Whoever is coming in and out by tomorrow I'd like to see green and tuanzebe come into the side

Green and RHM to start I reckon. Bit of pace and unpredictability needed at home. Kodjia deserves to be dropped and no point playing Elmo at home v Wigan on the right wing. So either drop Elmo or Taylor and move Hutton across. Others need to earn their place in the side, league cup game ideal for them.

Starting with two wins would be a great start after the summer we have had, irrespective of the opposition.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2018, 09:56:59 PM »
3 points is the most important thing. We're lucky to have such soft fixtures at the start of the season which should allow us to not only pick up maximum points but time to bed in the new players. My only fear right now is that Bruce has too many players to choose from and it will take him until after Xmas to find his best XI.

That said, like last season where we mainly relied on individual brilliance to win games rather than a great team performances, I think we have enough talent in the team to get us the 3 points on Saturday. It would help us if PaulE could repeat his Tuesday's pre-match "Hutton offers nothing going forward" comment with a line or two of how shit Kodja is. ;)

No excuses. 3-0 Villa win and a chance to give a few of the new boys a few minutes off the bench.

To be fair that's the first time Hutton has scored in about 4 years.  I was also talking about when he plays on the left and I stand by that.  He did well as left back cover last year because he stayed in our half and defended.

You won't get any kodjia criticism out of me though because, for me, he looks like a player who is struggling with confidence and fitness. If he can get through 4-5 more games without injury and can grab a goal or 2 I think we'll see the guy who scored 19 for us 2 years ago.

As it stands, I like the idea of the back 3 that's been posted somewhere.

Nyland

Hutton Chester Tuanzebe
Elmo                                          Bryan
             Hourihane   McGinn
                       Grealish
     Green                            Kodjia

RHM on the bench to get the last 20-25 minutes again. I've put Green and Kodjia quite wide on purpose so we can try to drag the central defenders a little wider and create space for the midfield 3 to attack.

C'mon Paul, a quick "Glenn Whelan is never going to score a 35 yard overhead kick" is not going to hurt anyone.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2018, 10:13:21 PM »
Steer

Elmo taunzebe Chester Hutton

Hourihane bjarnason grealish

Adomah Kodjia green

Nyland Elphick Taylor Whelan McGinn Lansbury RHM

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal