collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

Recent Posts

Re: Bruce out!!1@"*!1$% by chrisw1
[Today at 12:35:30 PM]

Re: Guess The Crowd 6; Villa v Preston, 2nd October! by simboy
[Today at 12:34:52 PM]

Re: Financial fair play by Ad@m
[Today at 12:33:58 PM]

Re: Aaron Tshibola - On loan to MK Dons by RussellC
[Today at 12:29:23 PM]

Re: Three cars broken into on Sat on Albert Road by DBTW
[Today at 12:18:35 PM]

Re: Bruce out!!1@"*!1$% by Drummond
[Today at 12:13:59 PM]

Re: Bruce out!!1@"*!1$% by Allan C
[Today at 12:11:02 PM]

Re: Aaron Tshibola - On loan to MK Dons by Risso
[Today at 12:06:09 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Orjan Nyland - signed  (Read 20349 times)

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
Re: Orjan Nyland - signed
« Reply #270 on: August 20, 2018, 08:09:12 AM »
Need to give him a chance. Okay he hasn't covered himself in glory so far but as others have said he's played 180 minutes!

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #271 on: August 20, 2018, 08:46:15 AM »
Clampy - are you willfully misreading  what i posted? The debate is about the chap's competency as a goalkeeper - his positioning, his ability to read  the game (or not) his technical skills (kicking /catching/punching etc)  It's not  based on two appearances for us .  He's a worry.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #272 on: August 20, 2018, 09:01:56 AM »
Clampy - are you willfully misreading  what i posted? The debate is about the chap's competency as a goalkeeper - his positioning, his ability to read  the game (or not) his technical skills (kicking /catching/punching etc)  It's not  based on two appearances for us .  He's a worry.

Again, a keeper doesn't exist in a vacuum, positioning and reading of the game are relative to other players and given Jedi and Axel and out of position in the front of him the whole unit is struggling to get those basics right. His technical skills are harder to judge because he hasn't had a great deal to do and, as Brian says, he was working on kicking to the flanks but has probably never been asked to do that regularly before. I think saying he's a worry is unfair, there are things to keep an eye on but once we have a functional defence in front of him I think we;ll be better able to judge him.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #273 on: August 20, 2018, 12:43:32 PM »
I'm not convinced by Nyland, but this is as he's kicked it, how is he meant to aim wide of the Wigan player?

Exactly. I really don't understand this argument

He basically stretched to even connect with the ball so quite how he was meant to do something different with it I've no idea

He should have at least tried to overhead kick it.

Nathan Baker would have headed that clear.

A carefully chosen freeze frame to try and prove a point.  I don't know how to post the image but I froze the video slightly before this frame just as Nyland makes first contact.  There is a gap between the ball and Powell that is at least a foot and up to two feet. Nyland could, in my view, with a bit of composure, have knocked it to his right side before Powell arrived instead of blasting it straight at him.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #274 on: August 20, 2018, 12:48:42 PM »
I think it is time for Paullie's flappy handed 12 year old post again that he so aptly described Johnstone as when he arrived.

Offline ktvillan

« Reply #275 on: August 20, 2018, 12:49:14 PM »

Not the best image but you can see there was a gap for him to play it to the side

Online Drummond

• GM : 16.10.2017
« Reply #276 on: August 20, 2018, 12:51:46 PM »
I'm not convinced by Nyland, but this is as he's kicked it, how is he meant to aim wide of the Wigan player?

Exactly. I really don't understand this argument

He basically stretched to even connect with the ball so quite how he was meant to do something different with it I've no idea

He should have at least tried to overhead kick it.

Nathan Baker would have headed that clear.

A carefully chosen freeze frame to try and prove a point.  I don't know how to post the image but I froze the video slightly before this frame just as Nyland makes first contact.  There is a gap between the ball and Powell that is at least a foot and up to two feet. Nyland could, in my view, with a bit of composure, have knocked it to his right side before Powell arrived instead of blasting it straight at him.

A foot or two and your'e suggesting a goalkeeper try to take a man on, when he's the last man and just been sold a shit back-pass, on his debut?

Can you imagine the uproar if that hadn't worked?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #277 on: August 20, 2018, 01:11:30 PM »

Not the best image but you can see there was a gap for him to play it to the side

There isn't though, which is why I chose a later one to show where they were as the ball leaves his foot which is the important bit. Both are running at full speed.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #278 on: August 20, 2018, 01:21:46 PM »

Again, a keeper doesn't exist in a vacuum, positioning and reading of the game are relative to other players and given Jedi and Axel and out of position in the front of him the whole unit is struggling to get those basics right. His technical skills are harder to judge because he hasn't had a great deal to do and, as Brian says, he was working on kicking to the flanks but has probably never been asked to do that regularly before. I think saying he's a worry is unfair, there are things to keep an eye on but once we have a functional defence in front of him I think we;ll be better able to judge him.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to say Paul that he needs more time, but there are concerns based on his two appearances so far. 

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #279 on: August 20, 2018, 01:30:13 PM »

If it's not based on his two appearances, I presume you must have seen him previously before he joined us?

Offline Risso

• GM : 08.02.2019
« Reply #280 on: August 20, 2018, 01:36:51 PM »
Well, he's got the perfect opportunity to put things right midweek.  Brentford don't typically hoof the ball into the box, so he should have a few less higher balls to deal with.

Offline ktvillan

« Reply #281 on: August 20, 2018, 02:14:03 PM »

A foot or two and your'e suggesting a goalkeeper try to take a man on, when he's the last man and just been sold a shit back-pass, on his debut?

Can you imagine the uproar if that hadn't worked?

I haven't said he should have taken the man on at all.

I imagine the "uproar" would have been no different to the uproar following blasting it against the oncoming forward and conceding a goal.

And PWS I reckon your frame is after the ball has left his foot and hit Powell.  We'll probably never agree but I'll stick to my opinion that Nyland could  knocked it to his right, if he'd had a little more composure.

Offline ktvillan

« Reply #282 on: August 20, 2018, 02:16:07 PM »
Well, he's got the perfect opportunity to put things right midweek.  Brentford don't typically hoof the ball into the box, so he should have a few less higher balls to deal with.

He'll probably still have a square peg in round hole defence in front of him though, which hasn't helped him, and I can see Brentford tearing it to shreds.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #283 on: August 20, 2018, 02:24:23 PM »

If it is like previous games against them we shall have such a small amount of possession that he will end up being our playmaker.

Offline Risso

• GM : 08.02.2019
« Reply #284 on: August 20, 2018, 02:34:32 PM »
He needs to find his form and quickly.  Goalkeeper is one position where you can't afford for someone to take half the season to settle in.