collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:17:42 PM]

Re: Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:03:06 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Christian Purslow - Resigned  (Read 226885 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: New CEO appointed - Christian Purslow
« Reply #525 on: August 13, 2019, 04:05:38 PM »
Need Dave Cooper back.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #526 on: August 13, 2019, 05:11:04 PM »
He certainly did his best to market the club, I was impressed.  He gives me the impression that he isn't a man that would easily be walked over.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #527 on: August 13, 2019, 06:30:30 PM »
For years I've been frustrated at the way Villa have been run.  Irritants included lack of discernable transfer strategy, lack of clear playing style and tactics,  signing older journeyman players with no resale value on high wages and long contracts,  signing late in the window so no settling in time, poor scouting network, dinosaur managers whose idea of tactics is to shuffle the pack or tell players to roll their sleeves up.  We weren't the only ones, far from it,  but I'd watch in frustration as clubs like Liverpool signed young talent early in the window and hired forward thinking managers and coaches,  studiously avoiding the likes of O'Neill. 

It's not rocket surgery but Purslow shows how we are now, finally, doing things in a sensible way.  It boils down to common sense and business sense (players as assets rather than liabilities? who'd a thought it?) and it's great how quickly NSWE and Purslow have applied these simple concepts and turned things around.  What is surprising is the degree to which previous regimes were unable to grasp, let alone apply, such simple concepts.  Let's hope it works, because it deserves to.           

Well said kt. This is the first time it feels like this since Brian L was appointed. Let’s hope they can sustain it this time rather than Dougs approach of wallowing in the 96 League Cup win. We’re coming to the party it seems about 20 years late but if we can now start to sort off the pitch as well then maybe just maybe we’ve got a Champions League club on our hands.

To be fair as much as we had a feelgood factor and some success on the pitch when SGT, BFR and Brian Little were appointed we also had a massive feel good factor when Lerner and MON arrived and we had some good seasons under them. Unfortunately MON couldn't take the final step of winning something whereas SGT won promotion and a highly creditable second place top flight finish and BFR and Brian Little won a trophy.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #528 on: August 13, 2019, 08:23:02 PM »
True there was a massive feelgood factor in 2006 when Lerner bought us and O'Neill came in.  But despite the 6th place finishes it was very soon clear that O'Neill was anything but a progressive coach who did things in a sensible way.  And once he left it was crystal clear that Lerner didn't have a scooby.  these guys are light years ahead.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #529 on: August 14, 2019, 12:34:30 PM »
True there was a massive feelgood factor in 2006 when Lerner bought us and O'Neill came in.  But despite the 6th place finishes it was very soon clear that O'Neill was anything but a progressive coach who did things in a sensible way.  And once he left it was crystal clear that Lerner didn't have a scooby.  these guys are light years ahead.

I think in 2006 we thought with the money and manager, the fans aspirations could be achieved.  Within 3 seasons we could see the limitations of the manager, the club management and the money.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #530 on: August 14, 2019, 05:14:55 PM »
action=share

Try this...i'm not good at this

Great interview. Regarding the question of our spending compared to that of Norwich he did a bit of a Harry Enfield "We are considerably richer than yow" but put it far more politely.

Offline Fasth56

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #531 on: August 15, 2019, 09:31:41 PM »
I was disappointed that 'Vicky' didn't bring up the Kappa debacle, the shocking half-time beer and pie service at Villa Park, and the clunky club website.

To be fair, I went to a North London club on Saturday at a new billion pound stadium and the service at half time was piss poor, one beer pump working and the pies were tepid at best.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #532 on: August 15, 2019, 09:41:38 PM »
Yep, the service at Tottenham was shit.  I was led to believe that they could pour a million pints a nanosecond or something, but that must be somewhere else.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #533 on: August 16, 2019, 12:10:51 AM »
Yes, probably in the home section. Away fans are forever second class citizens regardless of how swanky the environs are.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #534 on: August 16, 2019, 12:14:53 AM »
Maybe they just had a bunch of kids learning as they go and it will get better when they have been at the stadium for a few matches.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #535 on: December 28, 2019, 08:15:19 PM »
Rather than starting a new thread I'm bumping this because Smith is taking a lot of flak and where does Purslow and lots of his pre seasons  spiel come in all this ? The marketing man selling a good story and wooing the fans.
Talks up Smith so he better bloody back him and not desert him now..
The whole we'll be competitive and surprise a few clubs this season was mentioned
He has to have some account rather than everyone banging on hammer Smith out.

I hope he provides Smith and stays true by backing in the window.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #536 on: December 28, 2019, 08:17:55 PM »
As soon as you called Purslow a marketing man confirmed everything you wrote as nonsense.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #537 on: December 28, 2019, 09:10:57 PM »
With good reason I call him a marketing man :

"fearless in the way we play football and fearless in the way we use football and Villa as a force for good.”

The nonsense sprouted to get onside !
Villa have been fearful not fearless especially away from home.
Only glimpses of fearless

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #538 on: December 28, 2019, 10:46:51 PM »
Huge test for him this.

He has clearly been good for our football club up till this point - brought stability, partnered with the owners, makes all the right noises about the future.

But this is where a CEO earns his crust - making the tough decisions and getting them right. In the next 5 weeks he has two MASSIVE decisions to make - stick with DS or be aggressive and hire a new man, and what money to spend to try rescue this season.

I can’t think of bigger decisions right now - could move us forward or set us back another decade (as relegation surely would).

I don’t envy him - but he’s paid to do the job so time to judge him will be very soon

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #539 on: December 28, 2019, 10:51:48 PM »
Except it wont be entirely his decision. This big a decision is a collective and that means the 2 owners with Edens being the most critical.
They will have to consider the Budget implications and the CEO will be expected to make recommendations to the owners.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal