collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Jane
[Today at 05:35:19 PM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by RamboandBruno
[Today at 05:34:08 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 05:32:56 PM]

[Today at 05:32:50 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 05:31:05 PM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by rjp
[Today at 05:29:44 PM]

[Today at 05:27:54 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 05:27:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Christian Purslow - Resigned  (Read 229290 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: New CEO appointed - Christian Purslow
« Reply #330 on: October 16, 2018, 08:12:51 AM »
Dean was already calling Jeasus "Susu" in the avtv interview.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #331 on: October 16, 2018, 08:51:22 AM »
Hey-Zeus! I'm wondering how his role will differ from Rounds.

He seemed to talk a good game, but didn't deliver. Purslow mapping out what he expects of Jesus was interesting.

Seems there's going to be 2 months to assess and plan recruitment. Plan recruitment! Plan! For players. That we may buy! Stuff of myth that.

How we meet the FFP challenge will be interesting. He seemed very respectful of it. Perhaps a better angle to be coming at it from than the Noses who just decided to do what they want.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #332 on: October 17, 2018, 07:41:17 PM »
Came across as very polished but then again I got done initially by Tom Fox. Made a twat out of a lot of us. So while I am certainly very encouraged as usual it will need to be proven over time.

Agreed, and Purslow has to the take responsibility for the cluster fuck at the end of the transfer window. He has been around football clubs long enough to know going into a season with one senior centre half was a recipe for disaster. No way should transfers for Bolasie and Abraham have been authorised without reinforcements confirmed in defence first.

Two senior centre backs. It was just that one of them was being played at right back.

And then he would have been criticised for interfering in player transfers.

The decision on the composition of the squad should be the manager's (and now the DoF as well). Not a businessman. The fault for the transfer window lay with Bruce, and he quite rightly paid with his job.

Offline Ads

« Reply #333 on: October 17, 2018, 08:44:33 PM »
Agreed Sheffield.

From what Purslow said, Deano will assess the squad and suggest what is needed, Jesus will identify targets that meet the criteria, Purslow will confirm finances and a short list drawn.

It might not be too revolutionary from what we had in place before, but it was clear despite the talk there was no real strategy in place.

The hope this time is that our scouting and long term thinking is of quality. A genuine attempt to implement a style universally and have a genuine means to an end beyond buy more, buy more, buy more when things aren't working.

I genuinely hope we've cracked it this time.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #334 on: October 18, 2018, 10:17:04 AM »
Agreed Sheffield.

From what Purslow said, Deano will assess the squad and suggest what is needed, Jesus will identify targets that meet the criteria, Purslow will confirm finances and a short list drawn.

It might not be too revolutionary from what we had in place before, but it was clear despite the talk there was no real strategy in place.

The hope this time is that our scouting and long term thinking is of quality. A genuine attempt to implement a style universally and have a genuine means to an end beyond buy more, buy more, buy more when things aren't working.

I genuinely hope we've cracked it this time.

As I said before the biggest problem with 'the villa engine' is that you can't implement something like that and ring fence the first team, that was another of the fucking stupid ideas that Wyness pushed (along with the whole 3 teams bullshit) that showed he had no real intention of doing anything of the sort but Xia probably wanted it so he made a token effort.

Even if the first team isn't ready to change to the style you want you still apply the policy and train the players towards it because then, as you add players, you're always moving towards your goal. Not applying it to the first team was, in my opinion, entirely about protecting Bruce and letting him build the squad as he saw fit (with established players) rather than facing any pressure to invest in potential and work on developing players.

Offline kieron

« Reply #335 on: June 03, 2019, 11:40:24 AM »
https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2019/06/03/christian-purslow-on-wonderful-journey

Christian Purslow is aiming to take Aston Villa on a “wonderful journey” as he leads the club into the “next chapter” of its story.

Purslow is excited about the future with Dean Smith at the helm, backed up by “tremendous owners” in Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens.

He told Club TV: “It’s the biggest and most important step so it’s not just another chapter – it’s a vital chapter and first step because essentially we’ve got back on the right platform. 

“From there, for Dean Smith and his team, their talents can be given full vent on the right stage because the support Dean and I have now from tremendous owners, in terms of their interest, their qualifications, their knowledge and their financial resources, means on that platform, we can take this club on a wonderful journey and I think we will.”

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #336 on: June 03, 2019, 12:32:22 PM »
Any journey that doesn't involve the M1 night works on a Tuesday is just fine with me.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #337 on: June 03, 2019, 12:36:14 PM »
It's a good sounding interview, following on from the one with Deano the other day in which he said he has now come to love the club.
I think we are in good hands, I'm sure the journey will have it's bumps along the way, and at those times we will have to believe in these guys and get behind them, but I'm excited!

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #338 on: June 03, 2019, 02:54:54 PM »
Well I miss Ed Winchester.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #339 on: June 03, 2019, 07:15:06 PM »
I have to say this stuff goes in one ear and straight out the other with me.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #340 on: June 03, 2019, 07:36:06 PM »

Same here. I’m sure they have the very best intentions but you’ll forgive me if I say I’ve heard it all before and look where we ended up.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #341 on: June 03, 2019, 08:18:32 PM »

Same here. I’m sure they have the very best intentions but you’ll forgive me if I say I’ve heard it all before and look where we ended up.

True, but looking for positives, compared to Lerner and Xia -

Both Edens and Sawiris are hugely successful businessmen, with verifiable wealth.  Lerner inherited his money, then seemed to be doing his best to fritter most of it away.  Xia, well god knows to be honest.

Edens is co-owner of a US sports team that has been doing very well under him.  Lerner owned the Browns, the worst American Football team in history, and if anything made them worse.  Xia made gloop for Chinese takeaways. Possibly.

Edens and Sawiris have put good people in charge, who are making the right decisions and communicating well with the fans.  Lerner appointed that pair of chumps Krulak and Faulkner, and Xia put Wyness in charge, and a work experience lad from back home.

And so on.  You're right to be cautious, but so far they've got things right at the first opportunity.  It bodes well for the future.

Offline mike

« Reply #342 on: June 03, 2019, 08:36:59 PM »

Me too, and I didn't like the way he was acting Billy Big Bollocks, making sure everyone realised Dean is just the coach.

Offline Ads

« Reply #343 on: June 03, 2019, 10:13:46 PM »
But...that's what he is? Our Head Coach.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #344 on: June 03, 2019, 10:29:21 PM »
Isn't it great to have pro-active people in charge of our great club. Long may it continue and keep up the good work!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal