collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Hull City 1-3 Aston Villa post match thread  (Read 20072 times)

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Hull City 1-3 Aston Villa post match thread
« Reply #150 on: August 07, 2018, 01:36:03 PM »
We were okay. scoreline flattered us somewhat. Elphick was dodgy i agree but the goal was all steer's fault with a completely duff punch. You can only beat what's in front of you so fair play because the 1st game of the season away is not an easy fixture. Sterner tests ahead i think

The punch wasn’t the best but neither was it the worst, it made the edge of the area but the volley back was really well placed and Elphick made a hash of trying to get to it. Nine times out of ten you would get away with that.

I missed the first ten minutes but from what I read on here, their goal sounded like a howler but it wasn't really. It was just a well taken shot which should have been dealt with better.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #151 on: August 07, 2018, 01:44:12 PM »
Very slow paced game and some of our passing was laboured.

Taylor - nothing wrong but offers nothing going forward - hope the Bristol kid can put some juice into the LB position

Adomah - 80% of the time flatters to deceive and his final ball is usually left wanting - maybe try Kodia there if we get another striker in

Kodjia - far too isolated at times as Grealish was too far away from him as he kept coming deep for the ball. Really annoyed by some of his antics for fouls etc at times

Elphick - caught in 2 minds with their goal. Well take  goal for us though. Must admit heart goes in my mouth each time he has possession of the ball as I expect a rick at any time.

Hourihane - Mr Anonymous again - if he does not score you forget he is on the pitch

Whelan - did the ugly stuff comfortably but plays so deep due to his lack of mobility we are left wanting when trying to break out.

Hutton - deserved goal for his graft

Elmo - took goal well and linked well with Cafu

Grealish - Does his best work in the final 3rd but spent too much time coming into the first 3rd to get the ball - maybe he wanted to be noticed more than usual?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #152 on: August 07, 2018, 01:53:50 PM »

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #153 on: August 07, 2018, 01:58:43 PM »

anyone commented on how ropey Chester was yet ?

Looked very shakey to me. Presumably down to being switched sides again. Not something I'm a big fan of doing. He's clearly better on his natural side

Offline Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #154 on: August 07, 2018, 02:06:55 PM »

Looked very shakey to me. Presumably down to being switched sides again. Not something I'm a big fan of doing. He's clearly better on his natural side

This with bells on I hope to God he's moved back soon

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #155 on: August 07, 2018, 02:08:40 PM »

agreed

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #156 on: August 07, 2018, 02:09:02 PM »
We’re still a long way behind Leeds because of passion or something.

You're getting predictably dull now.

There's never a bad time to have a pop at dirty leeds.

There's never a bad time for Christmas Jameson to have a pop at... well anybody, or anything, really.

Take it to pm and don't involve me with internet nonsense, please.

I think ATAL might have been referring to the  most pleasant Irish whiskey. But then I am a bog man from Garrison, Fermanagh.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #157 on: August 07, 2018, 02:09:06 PM »
Some players never recover from injuries,, Kodjia looks fucked.

Bent and JPA to mention two. Ankle injuries for those two aswell. We ended up letting both go on free transfers in the end.

I'd be in favour of letting him go if the price was right.

Offline Dave P

« Reply #158 on: August 07, 2018, 02:28:30 PM »
It would not surprise me to see us return to the pre season line up of 3 at the back when Tuanzebe is up to speed and then Elphick will be back on the bench.

You want to drop our joint top scorer?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #159 on: August 07, 2018, 02:31:22 PM »

He’s gone from playing next to John Terry to having to worry about Elphick again, as well as switching sides.  I’d get Tuanzebe in next to him instead of Elphick.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #160 on: August 07, 2018, 03:05:12 PM »
I'm probably going to get some stick for this, but I just don't see what others see in Bjarnasson.
If we get offers for him, Bunn, Gardner, Albert and Kodjia I think we ought to seriously consider them.
Add to that list the one's who have failed to be given a squad number such as Tish, McCormack, Richards etc.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #161 on: August 07, 2018, 03:47:00 PM »
We were okay. scoreline flattered us somewhat. Elphick was dodgy i agree but the goal was all steer's fault with a completely duff punch. You can only beat what's in front of you so fair play because the 1st game of the season away is not an easy fixture. Sterner tests ahead i think

The punch wasn’t the best but neither was it the worst, it made the edge of the area but the volley back was really well placed and Elphick made a hash of trying to get to it. Nine times out of ten you would get away with that.

I missed the first ten minutes but from what I read on here, their goal sounded like a howler but it wasn't really. It was just a well taken shot which should have been dealt with better.

It was a rubbish goal to concede, but there was more than an element of luck about it.  Their player's effort was hardly convincing, but it went in the only area of the goal where noone was situated.  I don't know if Elphick thought it was going wide or was wary about colliding with the post, but I thought he could probably have done more.  I think the criticism of Steer is a bit harsh as he got a decent punch on it and their player had to hook it from behind him.

One thing I did pick up on from last night was that without Terry and Jedinak, we haven't got as much of a physical presence when defending set pieces.  When you factor in Taylor was playing as well, it was not the biggest back four.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #162 on: August 07, 2018, 04:45:54 PM »
What was Elphick at for their goal ? Bizarre effort at keeping it out
Yeah I've been reading through waiting for someone to comment on that. A simple headed clearance. Good result in the end. Keep em coming Steve

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #163 on: August 07, 2018, 04:55:13 PM »
I noticed after Elphick scored that Bruce made a heading motion and looked up the other end with Calderwood as if to say "why didn't he do that earlier?".

Offline The Edge

« Reply #164 on: August 07, 2018, 04:59:40 PM »
He got some stick from Villa fans after their goal so he was making a point by not celebrating. He is unnecessarily and undeservingly arrogant.
If your right that's pathetic and we need to get shot of him quickly.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal