collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 02:36:48 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Astnor
[Today at 02:28:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Target for this season  (Read 12971 times)

Offline Big Dick Edwards

Re: Target for this season
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2018, 06:44:53 PM »
Don’t get it. Why would our target be anything other than promotion? Doesn’t matter who’s left in our squad, the target has to be promotion. Expectation is a separate question altogether.

Exactly this.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2018, 06:50:19 PM »
Don’t get it. Why would our target be anything other than promotion? Doesn’t matter who’s left in our squad, the target has to be promotion. Expectation is a separate question altogether.

Agreed, considering this is our 15 season outside the top flight in our history anything less than promotion should be unacceptable. When you look at the money we've spent and the players we have it becomes even clearer that we have to be competing at the top end of the league.  However, with Bruce still here my expectation, just like last season, is that we'll be on the edge of the playoffs most of the season (5th-8th) but might go a little up or down if our form coincides nicely with other teams.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2018, 07:22:36 PM »
It should be promotion but I can’t see how achievable that is.  We’ve got over £30m of strikers, but Kodjia doesn’t look the same player since his injury. McCormack is persona non grata and Hogan has been crap.  Unless we get another loan striker like Grabban, I just can’t see where the goals are going to come from.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2018, 07:43:48 PM »
Between them our strikers only managed 18 league goals last season so shouldn't be that hard to replicate. For me the big question is will we get anything like the same productivity from elsewhere. We can't rely on Albert having the 2 months of his life again for example.

Offline ironmaidenmania

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2018, 07:49:29 PM »
Automatic promotion probably out of reach, but we shoudl be good for play-offs again.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2018, 07:51:52 PM »
This is it. A lot of pressure on Green, but I really like the look of him. Both his and De Laet's pace, coupled with Jack starting the season, will hopefully give us a bit of something we lacked last term.

We need Kodjia to score 20. Can Hourihane and Albert score 25-30 again? I think Hourihane will get a similar amount, but if Albert doesn't we're reliant on somebody picking up the slack.

Given we're after 4 more, you'd hope that we will be stronger come the end of August.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2018, 07:54:40 PM »
Judge us after the loans have come in, but right now it has to be automatic

Offline Leicester_Villian

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2018, 08:08:28 PM »
Sorry but I think we are living in dream land if we think promotion is possible this year - hope im wrong

I see this as a rebuilding season where we need to integrate youth into the set up

My feeling is we will have the typical Villa start and by end of October Bruce will be gone ....new manager has two months to look at squad before transfer window ready to make chances

Do people think if this investment had taken place early June that Bruce would still be here as I dont. I believe its only because the season was 10 days away that they retained him

I hope that both Bruce and Villa prove me totally wrong but I believe last year was a better chance of promotion that this

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2018, 08:10:24 PM »
I don't see why it's dream land at all.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2018, 08:18:34 PM »
We'll be there or thereabouts.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2018, 08:24:43 PM »
If Cardiff can go up automatically then anything is possible. I wouldn't be surprised if we went up automatically or finished mid-table, after all, that's the Championship for you.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2018, 08:32:51 PM »
Obviously champion’s but minimum second place.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2018, 08:35:18 PM »
Sorry but I think we are living in dream land if we think promotion is possible this year - hope im wrong

I see this as a rebuilding season where we need to integrate youth into the set up

My feeling is we will have the typical Villa start and by end of October Bruce will be gone ....new manager has two months to look at squad before transfer window ready to make chances

Do people think if this investment had taken place early June that Bruce would still be here as I dont. I believe its only because the season was 10 days away that they retained him

I hope that both Bruce and Villa prove me totally wrong but I believe last year was a better chance of promotion that this
As a target, it has to be automatic promotion.
My expectation is that the manager will get the bullet pre-Xmas and we’ll scrape into the play-offs.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2018, 08:35:43 PM »
Still don't think its going to be easy as some people think. After all it wasn't the last two seasons

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2018, 08:36:22 PM »
Only three teams finished above us last year, and they have all been promoted so we no longer have to worry about them. Of course we don't know how well the relegated teams will do, or what improvements the teams that finished below us will be able to make.

However, to dismiss our chances of promotion as being "in dreamland" is just ludicrously negative. Especially when shite like Huddersfield and Cardiff have managed it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 08:38:16 PM by cdbullyweefan »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal