collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Target for this season  (Read 13049 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Target for this season
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2018, 12:29:56 PM »
It's a target, not an expectation. I expect us to finish about 8th.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2018, 12:37:34 PM »
Looking at the level of expectation on here, there may be trouble ahead...........

First 11 is still easily good enough for top half. If you're in the top half you should be in the mix for play offs.

If we have an injury crisis obviously that's a problem as we have little depth beyond the first team currently so he will have to play the kids.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2018, 12:38:02 PM »
As it currently stands, having lost two consistent performers from the back 5, we'll do well to be in and around the play off spots.

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2018, 12:39:14 PM »
As long as Jack stays, which is still not 100% certain, then promotion.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2018, 12:41:08 PM »
Not sure i understand the difference ;D End of the day i presume we've decided to work with FFP rather than cop a QPR style fine, so best case scenario is we don't lose any more quality players, so that leaves us with the team that finished 4th minus Johnstone, Terry, snodgrass, grabban, onamah. I'm not sure what money is available, if any but Bruce would need to have the same success or better in the loan market to keep us 4th if that's the way he's going.

Online West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2018, 01:21:58 PM »
Not sure i understand the difference ;D End of the day i presume we've decided to work with FFP rather than cop a QPR style fine, so best case scenario is we don't lose any more quality players, so that leaves us with the team that finished 4th minus Johnstone, Terry, snodgrass, grabban, onamah. I'm not sure what money is available, if any but Bruce would need to have the same success or better in the loan market to keep us 4th if that's the way he's going.

Yeah that's about it

Online Chris Harte

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2018, 01:30:38 PM »
Hope for promotion. As champions would be a bonus. Without a trip to Wembley would be an added bonus.

Perhaps we ought to wait for the transfer window to close and for all loaning to be settled before we say what we can expect. This tme mght give us an idea of what the new investors are thinking in terms of obligations to the club and where they see it.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2018, 01:34:28 PM »
Promotion, League Cup Winners, FA Cup Winners, most goals scored, fewest goals conceded. No points deductions or massive fines.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2018, 01:43:00 PM »
With the players we have now and with the right attitude, we should be challenging at the top. If we approach the game like we did last season, challenging the top will be difficult.

If this is going to be a 'building for the future season, I would accept not getting promotion. The trouble is Bruce is all for the present and I fear another lost season.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2018, 01:51:08 PM »
The target should be promotion, as it should be for most of the league. Whether it's a realistic expectation depends on what the squad looks when the window closes.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2018, 02:30:41 PM »
I agree the target should be promotion,preferably finishing first or second , otherwise what is the point of our existence

Offline Damo70

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2018, 03:16:17 PM »
The target should be promotion, as it should be for most of the league. Whether it's a realistic expectation depends on what the squad looks when the window closes.

I totally agree. This league is a very level playing field and even the likes of smaller clubs like Millwall, Preston and Brentford and newly promoted Blackburn and Wigan will have hopes of the top six. Our aim should be ideally the top two and if not then a play off spot. I have been a consistent backer of Bruce but if we can't achieve a top six finish again this season he needs to go.

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2018, 03:29:42 PM »
The target should be progress, on and off the field. It wont be the end of the world if we fail to get promoted this year, but we need to see progress in terms player development, playing style, and financial stability so that when we do get promoted, its part of a broader plan. we need to stop the fire drills and panic moves in the belief that promotion must occur at all costs   

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2018, 03:49:44 PM »

Progress, the development of some more youngsters and to be in with a shout again at the final knocking's

On a personal level just to enjoy again like last season

Offline levico

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2018, 06:11:35 PM »
Don’t get it. Why would our target be anything other than promotion? Doesn’t matter who’s left in our squad, the target has to be promotion. Expectation is a separate question altogether.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal