collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Andre Moreira - Returned to Atletico Madrid  (Read 25460 times)

Offline footyskillz

Re: Andre Moreira
« Reply #135 on: August 15, 2018, 11:16:55 AM »
Back up keeps for me after yester showing and his lack of experience.

Fair play with the save . Wonder on his outing from his line and way he goes hips in  side ways on at the ball and player. 

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #136 on: August 15, 2018, 11:51:09 AM »
Can anyone think of any reason why we loaned this guy anyway seeing as we already had a capable understudy and needed a solid number one?

Really wish I knew the answer to that one. I know he's only had one game, it's just some of the things he did. Like that half baked chip out he did straight to a Yeovil player, total unforced error could've easily lead to a goal. It's a huge gamble bringing 2 new keepers in at once with no Championship experience.

Why does championship experience matter?  If we had a chance to bring in Courtois would you be against it because he has no championship experience?  I know that's an extreme example but I'm fed up of seeing championship experience used as a requirement as if this league plays a completely different game to anywhere else in the world. Most of th eWolves signings last summer had no championship experience but they were good players and they dominated the league.  Being good at the job you're going to be given is all that matters.

Specific to the question, I suspect we'd been planning on going with Steer as first choice and Moreira was seen as a better backup than Bunn (which is fair, an actual bun would be a better option) but we then had word that Nyland was available and decided that he was a better option than Steer (given all the injuries this is fairly sensible) but that left us with 3 keepers for 2 spots and Steer not getting the game time he needs so out he goes to get a run of starts and, hopefully, prove he's over the injury jinx.

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #137 on: August 15, 2018, 12:12:14 PM »
I don’t think we’ve seen anywhere near enough of Nyland or Moreira to make a judgement yet.

That’s true, but his punching wasn’t very good and put himself under pressure. Sam was similar when he first came, punched everything

Yep and I think it’s something that can be worked on. In Spain/Portugal there’s very much a culture of punching the ball, rather than claiming it. It might just take some time to adjust. Obviously an extreme example, as he’s excellent, but De Gea’s catching and general command of his area was poor when he came to England and now it’s a real attribute of his game.

He's had one game!

I agree, De Gea looked extremely suspect when he first came to this country. Goalkeepers are an odd breed, I used to wonder why they punch rather than catching so much but then when you see the movement of modern balls it's not a surprise.

He didn't concede, didn't make any howlers, he saved a penalty and we won the match.
Burn him!

Offline MalcolmP

« Reply #138 on: August 15, 2018, 12:38:31 PM »
Needs to be a lot braver. That might come with experience but not a game that filled me with confidence. Penalty save apart, that was very ordinary. Kicking not great either.

Was it not brave coming out to punch the ball clear from a monster bearing down on him? No fear from him of being clattered by a much heavier guy.
Also I thought he was excellent on the one on one - he stood his ground in upright position and didn't commit himself and flop to the ground like most keepers do and he earned his luck when ball struck his legs and slowed it down to enable Tuanzebe to clear.  Also penalty was not struck hard but was right in the corner so still an excellent save. Apart from one lofted skewed pass and one coming out and getting nowhere near I though he looked O.K.. He was playing his first competitive game and in front of a totally makeshift defence so 8/10 from me. And don't forget how shaky Johnstone looked at the beginning.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 01:11:05 PM by MalcolmP »

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #139 on: August 15, 2018, 04:01:56 PM »
Just seen the penalty save again it was a really good one. A decent pen, low with a bit of pace, heading for the corner.

Agree with the comments above about keepers adjusting, and would add that it's harder for the man in the pub/ internet message boards to judge a keeper than any other position. The Robert Enke book has a lot of insights on how hard it is for a keeper to change clubs and then be expected to adjust to a different formation/style/personalities in defence immediately.

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #140 on: August 15, 2018, 04:16:59 PM »
I just saw the extended highlights on Youtube (around 5.20 min) - in the build up for the disallowed goal, I think he actually saves the first shot with a quick arm to the side (was in doubt if defender on the line, but his positioning makes me doubt that)

Offline frank black

« Reply #141 on: August 15, 2018, 05:29:41 PM »
I just saw the extended highlights on Youtube (around 5.20 min) - in the build up for the disallowed goal, I think he actually saves the first shot with a quick arm to the side (was in doubt if defender on the line, but his positioning makes me doubt that)

TBF I think that was hand ball by Taylor. Good job the ref blew

Online Gerrin

« Reply #142 on: August 16, 2018, 08:26:31 AM »
Can anyone think of any reason why we loaned this guy anyway seeing as we already had a capable understudy and needed a solid number one?

Really wish I knew the answer to that one. I know he's only had one game, it's just some of the things he did. Like that half baked chip out he did straight to a Yeovil player, total unforced error could've easily lead to a goal. It's a huge gamble bringing 2 new keepers in at once with no Championship experience.

Why does championship experience matter?  If we had a chance to bring in Courtois would you be against it because he has no championship experience?  I know that's an extreme example but I'm fed up of seeing championship experience used as a requirement as if this league plays a completely different game to anywhere else in the world. Most of th eWolves signings last summer had no championship experience but they were good players and they dominated the league.  Being good at the job you're going to be given is all that matters.

Specific to the question, I suspect we'd been planning on going with Steer as first choice and Moreira was seen as a better backup than Bunn (which is fair, an actual bun would be a better option) but we then had word that Nyland was available and decided that he was a better option than Steer (given all the injuries this is fairly sensible) but that left us with 3 keepers for 2 spots and Steer not getting the game time he needs so out he goes to get a run of starts and, hopefully, prove he's over the injury jinx.

I don't think comparing Wolves Championship rookies is a fair comparison to introducing a foreign keeper to a new league, Wolves had Ruddy. Goalkeeper is a key position where you need experience, did we not learn that with Gollini.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #143 on: August 16, 2018, 09:18:38 AM »
You don’t need experience, you need to be good. Moreira and Nyland have not played anywhere near enough for us yet to determine their level. Experience is probably useful, but it’s not an absolute must.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #144 on: August 16, 2018, 10:38:12 AM »

I don't think comparing Wolves Championship rookies is a fair comparison to introducing a foreign keeper to a new league, Wolves had Ruddy. Goalkeeper is a key position where you need experience, did we not learn that with Gollini.

experience isn't the same thing as championship experience though.  Nyland has played over 200 games at club and international level, he's the most experienced keeper at the club so what we actually did was bring in an experienced keeper and a highly rated rookie as his understudy, seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #145 on: December 15, 2018, 09:23:26 PM »
Where the hell has this bloke disappeared to?  I know he was one for the future but on loan and not even in the 18?  Bizarre signing.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #146 on: December 16, 2018, 11:42:35 AM »
Did Mendes push it as part of his services?

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #147 on: December 16, 2018, 11:44:01 AM »
Where the hell has this bloke disappeared to?  I know he was one for the future but on loan and not even in the 18?  Bizarre signing.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that he has knee ligament damage

Offline Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #148 on: January 23, 2019, 12:17:14 PM »
Loan cancelled. Another one off the wage bill.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #149 on: January 23, 2019, 12:25:12 PM »

Phew!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal