collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa v Kit Stealers Friendly - Match Thread  (Read 12913 times)

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: Villa v Kit Stealers Friendly - Match Thread
« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2018, 09:13:40 AM »
Only watched 20minutes in the first half last night and was totally uninspired. This is Bruce's 2nd close season and I couldn't see any progress and certainly no new ideas. What does he or his coaches do in training? In those 20 minutes we were pedestrian and lacking in movement. There was too much interplay between the back 4. We went a goal down and knew there was no way back. Even against Kiddy we went a goal down and still failed to turn it round for a win. Players like Bree and Kodjia were struggling to do the basics. It was painful viewing against West f-cking spam. Never mind that's friendlies for you.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #121 on: July 26, 2018, 10:05:39 AM »
My concern from the game last night isn't that we lost, it's that scored 3 of the easiest goals they'll score all year, 3 times they ran through us like we were cones on a training field. We need to fix that because there's plenty of teams in the championship with a quick striker who'll happily carry the ball through gaps like that, they won't be as clinical but we can't let our keeper be exposed so often.

A couple of days ago I posted a team I thought we should go with (largely based on no signings) where I went with us rotating through Lyden, Doyle-Hayes and Clarke in midfield. Watching last night I'm more convinced that we need to go that way, JDH and Grealish were like 2 professionals thrown into a pub team.  However the slight change I'd make is that I'd prioritise getting a proper left wing-back so we can push Green up to 10 and then have a midfield of Jedi, JDH and Jack.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #122 on: July 26, 2018, 10:07:24 AM »
West Ham were much the better team.  They moved the ball quickly with pace and purpose.  We were ponderous, slow and lacked any sort of edge.  Kodja didn't get much service but neither did he look that interested. The defence looked a bit off, Bree looked a bit shaky up against quality and was caught out 3 or 4 times. We looked a bit better when the changes were made 2nd half.  Barney offering a bit of drive, Green some pace and a bit of threat. Grealish was our stand out player as per usual.

I don't take much from such games as it's the work out and sharpness preparation for next week that matters where we'll be up against a team no where near as good as a middling Prem club.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #123 on: July 26, 2018, 10:09:19 AM »
Only watched 20minutes in the first half last night and was totally uninspired. This is Bruce's 2nd close season and I couldn't see any progress and certainly no new ideas. What does he or his coaches do in training? In those 20 minutes we were pedestrian and lacking in movement. There was too much interplay between the back 4. We went a goal down and knew there was no way back. Even against Kiddy we went a goal down and still failed to turn it round for a win. Players like Bree and Kodjia were struggling to do the basics. It was painful viewing against West f-cking spam. Never mind that's friendlies for you.

And that is the biggest negative of all in relation to Bruce - we know exactly what we will get season after season. As someone mentioned previously it is not like he will suddenly have a footballing epiphany and change the only method he knows  "Good old british up and at em"

Im bored before we have kicked a ball

How much do you think he was saved due to the timing of there being a game last night?  I don't think the new guys would have enamoured themselves to the squad if they had rode into town and sacked him without seeing us play but also It is inevitable that he will be sacked at some time soon so not sure why they prolong our agony and hinder our hopes of a decent start

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #124 on: July 26, 2018, 10:11:17 AM »
I'm not overly concerned by the pre season results West Ham have bought well and are going to be mid to upper Premier League side this season I just think as long as it comes together against Hull City that's al I'm really interested in.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #125 on: July 26, 2018, 10:29:52 AM »
I thought we played ok for long spells. Nothing really concerned me from last night given the oppo and the circumstances.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #126 on: July 26, 2018, 11:21:14 AM »
I thought we played ok for long spells. Nothing really concerned me from last night given the oppo and the circumstances.

My thoughts exactly Dave.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #127 on: July 26, 2018, 11:51:27 AM »
Wonder what we can learn from that match? We are still mostly gash...
That any money we are allowed to spend has got to go on defenders. Even if Chester stays were well light at CB's. With all the money we have spent how have they managed to neglect the defence so much? Elmo,Bree, RDL,Taylor all not good enough if were aiming top two imo. Hutton has been immense for us but is an ageing force. And we need to replace Sam Johnson too.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #128 on: July 26, 2018, 11:58:06 AM »
That any money we are allowed to spend has got to go on defenders. Even if Chester stays were well light at CB's. With all the money we have spent how have they managed to neglect the defence so much? Elmo,Bree, RDL,Taylor all not good enough if were aiming top two imo. Hutton has been immense for us but is an ageing force. And we need to replace Sam Johnson too.

How you can say Elmo, Bree, RDL aren't good enough and then claim Hutton has been immense is quite something  ;D

Offline paul_e

« Reply #129 on: July 26, 2018, 12:11:45 PM »
RDL is easily good enough but I agree Bree has gone backwards since he joined and I've never liked Taylor. Elmo is ok but nothing more and I disagree completely on Hutton, he had a good season last year but was poor to average for 5 seasons before that, I don't understand why so many people are willing to forget just how poor he was. The fact that he's bene elevated to some sort of legendary status by large sections of the fans sums up why 4th in the 2nd division isn't universally viewed as a massive failure.

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #130 on: July 26, 2018, 12:13:59 PM »
I learnt from that match how much better mid table PL is since we were last in it. Every top class player from around the world is either playing in that league or will at some stage in their career. West Ham were physically bigger than us and proportionately faster and stronger. We really did fuck up under Lerner. Every club can now buy what would have been Citeh/Chelsea type players. Jack wasn’t the best Jack on the pitch and the rest wouldn’t get near a PL team.

Fortunately we play in the league below and as prep for that i’m sure it sharpened up the players for that challenge.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #131 on: July 26, 2018, 12:32:21 PM »

How you can say Elmo, Bree, RDL aren't good enough and then claim Hutton has been immense is quite something  ;D
I did add imo and I'm sticking to it. Hutton has been immense in terms of his effort and commitment. He was motm a few times last season. I don't recall the others getting that accolade too many times. My point was in response to someone asking "what did we learn from last night"  We need to concentrate  on the defence because it just ain't good enough. In my opinion. What's your opinion?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 12:36:57 PM by The Edge »

Online tomd2103

« Reply #132 on: July 26, 2018, 12:56:17 PM »
My concern from the game last night isn't that we lost, it's that scored 3 of the easiest goals they'll score all year, 3 times they ran through us like we were cones on a training field. We need to fix that because there's plenty of teams in the championship with a quick striker who'll happily carry the ball through gaps like that, they won't be as clinical but we can't let our keeper be exposed so often.

A couple of days ago I posted a team I thought we should go with (largely based on no signings) where I went with us rotating through Lyden, Doyle-Hayes and Clarke in midfield. Watching last night I'm more convinced that we need to go that way, JDH and Grealish were like 2 professionals thrown into a pub team.  However the slight change I'd make is that I'd prioritise getting a proper left wing-back so we can push Green up to 10 and then have a midfield of Jedi, JDH and Jack.

I still think we might see Jedinak as part of the back three if we continue with that formation.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #133 on: July 26, 2018, 01:05:39 PM »

I still think we might see Jedinak as part of the back three if we continue with that formation.

I think hat depends on what happens with signings in the next few weeks. If we signed Huth, for example, then the other 2 centre backs need to add some mobility, in which case Chester and RDL/Hutton would be the obvious choices and Jedi plays in front and an extra screen so the wing backs and other midfielders can push on, that way if we're caught on the counter we can easily drop into a back 4.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal