collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: NSWE Investment  (Read 621599 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: NSWE Investment
« Reply #1155 on: July 29, 2019, 09:17:45 PM »
On the basis that Arsenal, Tottenham, Newcastle, Sunderland, West Ham, Man City, Man United and Liverpool all have bigger grounds than us. Everton will have soon.

You think Villa are only the tenth biggest club in England?

Everybody else has boosted their capacity or has plans to do do. I'm not asking for us to do anything out of the ordinary. Expand, as all our competitors  (and Sunderland), have done.

Look elsewhere in the Premier League. How many clubs have the same capacity they had when John Major was Prime Minister?

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1156 on: July 29, 2019, 09:20:32 PM »
On the basis that Arsenal, Tottenham, Newcastle, Sunderland, West Ham, Man City, Man United and Liverpool all have bigger grounds than us. Everton will have soon.

You think Villa are only the tenth biggest club in England?

Everybody else has boosted their capacity or has plans to do do. I'm not asking for us to do anything out of the ordinary. Expand, as all our competitors, and Sunderland, have done.

I agree, but let's establish ourselves up here first then look at it. There's no immediate rush.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #1157 on: July 29, 2019, 09:25:44 PM »
There is an immediate rush. Supply does not meet demand. Obviously nothing will happen before next summer at the earliest, anyway, so announce proposals to expand but make them conditional and put them on hold if we have a disastrous season.

Offline KRS

« Reply #1158 on: July 29, 2019, 09:29:21 PM »
I’m pretty sure as fans we are facing the same dilemma that Spurs and Everton went through. We all know that Spurs are delighted with their new state of the art £1bn stadium and I expect the same for Everton once they move from their spiritual home.

Villa Park is my second home as it is for many thousands of us, but as mentioned previously, part of the soul was ripped out of it when the Trinity and Holte were flattened, so replacing the current stands with a modern football stadium (not a soulless bowl) surely is the way to progress, so for me it’s just a question of where it should be located and what we do when the build is in progress.

With regards to the Etihad, whilst it may be soulless inside, it does offer an excellent match day experience outside the ground with great facilities for food, drink, entertainment and parking. I don’t know if Spurs have the same but this is what a modern football stadium needs to provide.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 09:31:39 PM by KRS »

Online Clampy

« Reply #1159 on: July 29, 2019, 09:30:11 PM »
There is an immediate rush. Supply does not meet demand. Obviously nothing will happen before next summer at the earliest, anyway, so announce proposals to expand but make them conditional and put them on hold if we have a disastrous season.

So there is an immediate rush, our stadium isn't big enough for a club of our stature any more but we can put the plans on hold if we have a disastrous season. Okey dokey.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #1160 on: July 29, 2019, 09:34:02 PM »
Well, yes. Prepare for the wanted scenario while having a back up plan for if things don't go right. Just like we did when Smith and Purslow were discussing transfer budgets before the playoff final outcome was known.

Online Clampy

« Reply #1161 on: July 29, 2019, 09:38:15 PM »
I wonder how many Wolves fans were discussing moving grounds or expanding after they got up and I wonder how many of us laughed at them for getting ahead of their selves?

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #1162 on: July 29, 2019, 09:38:33 PM »
I've never been in another ground that I felt had a soul. Really don't care about them. Given a choice between 33,000 watching Villa from a sparse Holte, beholden to an aged Trinity in a world that doesn't care, or 60,000 watching a team trying to batter all-comers in The Best New Ground In The World, I'll go with the new.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1163 on: July 29, 2019, 09:39:39 PM »

your off your head mate, you've worked yourself up on a internet thread and think it's some imminent thing your discussing when it's not
they won't be announcing any major ground expansion plans any time soon

we've only just been able to buy the new kit it was so late coming out and the official website was still advertising play off tickets 5 weeks after it was all over,
if you ring up the ticket office you get cut off more often than not so I don't think they will be all over plans for a ground expansion and buying up some spare land in the centre of Birmingham to make your dreams come true right now

sorry to burst your little dream bubble

Online Clampy

« Reply #1164 on: July 29, 2019, 09:41:09 PM »
I've never been in another ground that I felt had a soul. Really don't care about them. Given a choice between 33,000 watching Villa from a sparse Holte, beholden to an aged Trinity in a world that doesn't care, or 60,000 watching a team trying to batter all-comers in The Best New Ground In The World, I'll go with the new.

Where do the other 27k fans come from?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #1165 on: July 29, 2019, 09:44:29 PM »

your off your head mate, you've worked yourself up on a internet thread and think it's some imminent thing your discussing when it's not
they won't be announcing any major ground expansion plans any time soon

we've only just been able to buy the new kit it was so late coming out and the official website was still advertising play off tickets 5 weeks after it was all over,
if you ring up the ticket office you get cut off more often than not so I don't think they will be all over plans for a ground expansion and buying up some spare land in the centre of Birmingham to make your dreams come true right now

sorry to burst your little dream bubble

Did you type that with your feet?

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #1166 on: July 29, 2019, 09:49:18 PM »

Where do the other 27k fans come from?

We had the record second division crowd, the record third division crowd, and after the Holte’s last stand the record Premier League crowd. We had six crowds over 40,000 as a third division club. We once had a Central League crowd of 29000. We’ve just had excellent support for three years in the Championship. But if we spend hundreds of millions on players and a state of the art ground, fuck knows where the support will come from. I mean, we’re good fans, but we’re no West Ham are we?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1167 on: July 29, 2019, 09:57:35 PM »
The West Midlands is the biggest urban conurbation outside London, and we're the biggest, most successful club in it.  We've also got all of the surrounding counties where there aren't any big teams to draw from.  Birmingham is also the youngest city in the country, so that means loads of untapped fans just waiting to come to see us. 

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1168 on: July 29, 2019, 10:14:05 PM »
The West Midlands is the biggest urban conurbation outside London, and we're the biggest, most successful club in it.  We've also got all of the surrounding counties where there aren't any big teams to draw from.  Birmingham is also the youngest city in the country, so that means loads of untapped fans just waiting to come to see us. 

I genuinely think the fact we've heard nothing about the North Stand other than cleaning it up a bit is a sign they're looking at the bigger picture, which I think is the sensible thing now.

Whilst expanding capacity purely on the basis of it looking like we'll have good crowds this season would be jumping the gun, as said, it isn't just about numbers of people in the ground, it is facilities too, and the facilities in two sides of the ground are prehistoric compared to those in other stadiums - look at what people going to see Arsenal and Spurs experience in their grounds and compare that to not having enough room to swing a cat in the Upper Doug, or queueing for 20 minutes and failing to get a warm bottle of Carlsberg at half time.

The facilities for fans are utterly abysmal, and increasingly clubs we have seen as our peers (or lessers) are offering their fans a significantly better experience. We can not just ignore that.

A significantly improved ground would improve crowds, and - unfortunately, this would mean leaving Aston - so would a better located one.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1169 on: July 29, 2019, 10:18:02 PM »
Rebuild the North Stand, fill in the corners, make it up to 50,000.  The need is there, more people on the planet now than ever, make use of it.  Birmingham is a fantastic city, I'm sure that the likes of Christian Purslow will turn the football club back into an internationally renowned club but it might take a bit of time.  The stadium though, could be done next summer.  In-between London and Manchester, there is fuck all worth watching. might as well take advantage of that!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal