collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: NSWE Investment  (Read 622042 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: NSWE Investment
« Reply #960 on: July 27, 2019, 06:04:33 PM »
It's happened before, hasn't it? Maybe have reduced capacity for a month or two.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #961 on: July 27, 2019, 06:28:55 PM »
The only way to increase the capacity significantly at Villa Park would be to build behind the North Stand.  Start with an upper tier, demolish the existing stand and then build the lower tier. Then move the pitch 10m or so away from the Holte End.  This would then allow some redevelopment of the corners and look at some alteration to the lower tier of the Holte End.  There is space in and around the ground to improve refreshment facilities/toilets etc but it would be costly compared with revenue.  However, adding 10-15,000 to the capacity would need massive upgrade of the facilities.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #962 on: July 27, 2019, 06:43:48 PM »
It's happened before, hasn't it? Maybe have reduced capacity for a month or two.

The unsophisticated Holte took until December. And if we do that with the North, we'll have wedged ourselves into a corner we can't get out of. We shall be forever trapped in the fork of Trinity Road and Witton Lane.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #963 on: July 27, 2019, 06:48:26 PM »
Interesting to see so many people open to the idea of a move. I always thought there would be much more resistance to the idea.

I would be open to the idea if it was done right but in truth, a full analysis would be needed which we probably wouldn't have access to.

I think there's potential to move to the Games' stadium whilst major reconstruction work was done but for me, a big part of the study would have to include the surrounding area and the roads. I doubt much has changed in decades despite the big increase in traffic.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #964 on: July 27, 2019, 06:54:57 PM »
I think a lot of the lack of openness to a move in the past was in no small part down to the only option seemingly being the NEC.

Online Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #965 on: July 27, 2019, 07:08:50 PM »
Can I still be closed? Think moving would be dogwank.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #966 on: July 27, 2019, 07:16:27 PM »
Imagine town though. A few minutes walk from New Street, Moor Street, HS2 and hundreds of bus stops, taxis and the tram. The only thing I’ve ever been jealous of with small heath is that they can drink in Digbeth moments before and after the game. Plus the only noticeable b-lose areas are those with good transport links to the Sty. A Villa stadium at Smithfield would all but destroy them over time. So it’s a thumbs up from me.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 08:00:44 PM by Percy McCarthy »

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #967 on: July 27, 2019, 07:35:38 PM »
B-lose should be irrelevant to any forward planning by our club.

That close to the city centre and they've never been much of a draw or had any solid period eclipsing what we do on the pitch.  Even in the Premier League, that city centre proximity didn't seem to attract the floating voter for them. And It's not as if we are a million miles away from the CC ourselves.

There's a better than average chance they'll be a League One side this time next year.  I wouldn't be advocating watching what Rotherham or Coventry do all that closely either.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #968 on: July 27, 2019, 08:01:47 PM »
B-lose should be irrelevant to any forward planning by our club.

I agree. Just a happy consequence.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #969 on: July 27, 2019, 08:05:01 PM »
The shape of the plot of land is the problem and shows that we are landlocked and very limited in what we can do. Compare it to Sunderland (which is the minimum extra capacity we'd be looking at):

Personally I don't see how you add 7000 without either negotiating moving roads or building something insane to replace the north stand but with the latter you still end up with no car parking facilities, no decent road links and you haven't addressed the awful state of the DE stand. the SoL, on the other hand, has it's own light rail station (slightly off to the right from that map), is next to one of the major spine roads out of the city centre and is 5 minutes over the bridge from said city centre.

They moved from a well loved traditional ground that was clearly no longer fit for purpose because they struggled with many of the same issues we have and whilst they've had a terrible time on the pitch you rarely hear any complaints about the stadium or access to it.

I don't know if moving is the best idea but I would say that if we don't there's not a whole lot we can expect to see in terms of improvements without some massive changes.

I have, in the past, wondered whether you could fit a 60k stadium on the Martineau Galleries plot though, sadly you can't.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #970 on: July 27, 2019, 08:06:08 PM »
They are irrelevant, but a stadium in that location taking inthe city centre spread would be an ultimate monument to their absolute and total inferiority.

The spread of pubs, transport and foot traffic would make New Villa Park very attractive and give us the chance to drive up that commercial revenue on non-match days as well  to compete.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #971 on: July 27, 2019, 08:09:57 PM »
Imagine town though. A few minutes walk from New Street, Moor Street, HS2 and hundreds of bus stops, taxis and the tram. The only thing I’ve ever been jealous of with small heath is that they can drink in Digbeth moments before and after the game. Plus the only noticeable b-lose areas are those with good transport links to the Sty. A Villa stadium at Smithfield would all but destroy them over time. So it’s a thumbs up from me.

It doesn't really feel that close in reality though does it?  Other side of the ring road, and must be a good twenty plus minute walk to the main bits of Digbeth.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #972 on: July 27, 2019, 08:14:59 PM »

It doesn't really feel that close in reality though does it?  Other side of the ring road, and must be a good twenty plus minute walk to the main bits of Digbeth.

Yeah but don't forget, most of them are on mobility scooters

*nods*

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #973 on: July 27, 2019, 08:21:27 PM »

Not twenty minutes I don’t think. Digbeth Dining Club to the Forge Tavern, 5 minutes, then maybe 5-10 to the ground.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #974 on: July 27, 2019, 08:22:13 PM »

It would make a few of the Digbeh pubs Villa pubs though. Which would be highly amusing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal