collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: NSWE Investment  (Read 621633 times)

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
Re: NSWE Investment
« Reply #915 on: July 27, 2019, 01:34:41 PM »
Yes that new Everton ground looks like it will be brilliant.  I know that Villa Park is home, but if you think that most of the stands and facilities are actully pretty shit, I wouldn't be averse to a shiny new ground at all, as long as it wasn't a bland identikit effort like Stoke for example.

Most of the stands and facilities aren't shit...

One stand could do with bulldozing and another needs improving, but that's par for the course for traditional grounds. I wouldn't ever want us to move out of Villa Park, and as we're not hemmed in and prevented from developing, we've no reason to.

The North Stand is dire, and there's no leg room in the Witton for anybody over 5'4" tall.  The half time catering is terrible just about everywhere, and the congestion and lack of parking nearby is pretty problematic as well.  And of course we're hemmed in on the Trinity and Witton sides, so the North Stand is the only one that could really be redeveloped to give us a 50,000 capacity, unless we fill in the corners, which would be difficult, and would look shit.

I also think when people discuss whether or not we need a bigger ground, they look at it in terms of number of seats and overlook the much improved facilities that would create, and the extra revenue flow that comes with it.

I wouldn't be hugely surprised if we ended up in a ground on that Smithfield market site in the city centre. The timeframes for the development would fit in with our growing requirements.

Would we not be more likely to be part of the Advanced Manufacturing Hub masterplan which is on our doorstep?

People also seem to be forgetting we’ve committed to the Commonwealth Games in 2022 so nothing will happen before then in my view. 

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #916 on: July 27, 2019, 01:38:17 PM »
Yes that new Everton ground looks like it will be brilliant.  I know that Villa Park is home, but if you think that most of the stands and facilities are actully pretty shit, I wouldn't be averse to a shiny new ground at all, as long as it wasn't a bland identikit effort like Stoke for example.

One stand could do with bulldozing and another needs improving, but that's par for the course for traditional grounds. I wouldn't ever want us to move out of Villa Park, and as we're not hemmed in and prevented from developing, we've no reason to.

The North Stand is dire, and there's no leg room in the Witton for anybody over 5'4" tall.  The half time catering is terrible just about everywhere, and the congestion and lack of parking nearby is pretty problematic as well.  And of course we're hemmed in on the Trinity and Witton sides, so the North Stand is the only one that could really be redeveloped to give us a 50,000 capacity, unless we fill in the corners, which would be difficult, and would look shit.

I also think when people discuss whether or not we need a bigger ground, they look at it in terms of number of seats and overlook the much improved facilities that would create, and the extra revenue flow that comes with it.

I wouldn't be hugely surprised if we ended up in a ground on that Smithfield market site in the city centre. The timeframes for the development would fit in with our growing requirements.

The land would be too expensive and not big enough.  It is also earmarked for development under the 'Big City Plan'.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #917 on: July 27, 2019, 01:41:54 PM »
Having a 55,000 seater there would be absolutely iconic and surely fit any plan? Size of proposed site notwithstanding.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #918 on: July 27, 2019, 01:42:48 PM »

The land would be too expensive and not big enough.  It is also earmarked for development under the 'Big City Plan'.

The plot is absolutely huge, size wouldn't be the problem, it'd be whether a stadium could be part of the plan (it is all indicative at the moment anyway)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #919 on: July 27, 2019, 01:43:03 PM »

I'd love something that was close to the City Centre. Going to St James Park is such a piece of piss if you get the train to Newcastle, it's great being able to drink in the city centre then just stroll a few steps to the ground.

A lot of traditional grounds are/were a pain in the arse to get to (Liverpool, Everton, Man U, Spurs etc), with the only alternatives being bland new grounds tacked on to the sides of retail/industrial parks (Bolton, Wigan, Stoke etc) with the main facilities of town being a reasonable distance away.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #920 on: July 27, 2019, 01:46:07 PM »
The problem with that is only Birmingham City fans live in Birmingham. At least so we’ve been told.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #921 on: July 27, 2019, 01:51:32 PM »

I'd love something that was close to the City Centre. Going to St James Park is such a piece of piss if you get the train to Newcastle, it's great being able to drink in the city centre then just stroll a few steps to the ground.

A lot of traditional grounds are/were a pain in the arse to get to (Liverpool, Everton, Man U, Spurs etc), with the only alternatives being bland new grounds tacked on to the sides of retail/industrial parks (Bolton, Wigan, Stoke etc) with the main facilities of town being a reasonable distance away.

I was a student up in Newcastle and having the ground in the city centre really has an impact on bringing club and people together- appreciate it's different as Newcastle is a one club town, but walking around the city centre while they were playing, you'd hear the roar of every goal.

Offline Risso

« Reply #922 on: July 27, 2019, 01:51:42 PM »
One thing that Brum doesn't seem to be short of is, is land that looks like it would benefit from a lot of redevelopment.  That whole Smithfield area at the back of the Bull Ring is a right eyesore.  That would be a great spot, 10-15 minute walk from New Street, you could have decent parking facilities, a fans' village for catering choices, etc etc.  I love going to Vill Park as much as anybody, but in terms of the 'experience' (not including the actual football) it's a bit rubbish. 

Offline Risso

« Reply #923 on: July 27, 2019, 01:52:47 PM »
appreciate it's different as Newcastle is a one club town

Same as Birmingham then! :)

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #924 on: July 27, 2019, 01:55:28 PM »
One thing that Brum doesn't seem to be short of is, is land that looks like it would benefit from a lot of redevelopment.  That whole Smithfield area at the back of the Bull Ring is a right eyesore.  That would be a great spot, 10-15 minute walk from New Street, you could have decent parking facilities, a fans' village for catering choices, etc etc.  I love going to Vill Park as much as anybody, but in terms of the 'experience' (not including the actual football) it's a bit rubbish. 

That is the bit of land we were talking about - it has been (is being) totally cleared, and is a huge 17 hectare (one football pitch is about 0.65 hectares, I've just googled!) space which is specifically earmarked for cultural attractions (and flats, obviously).

They've just appointed a list of architects to draw up the entire masterplan, it's a truly huge project.

Offline Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #925 on: July 27, 2019, 02:12:46 PM »

I was a student up in Newcastle and having the ground in the city centre really has an impact on bringing club and people together- appreciate it's different as Newcastle is a one club town, but walking around the city centre while they were playing, you'd hear the roar of every goal.
Nice and quiet then when they are at home.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #926 on: July 27, 2019, 02:14:56 PM »
I think it would be something pretty special and really add to the city centre. It's far more likely to attract tourist dollar during the week too. Bars, museum and a hotel on that site, with the amount of foreign shopping tourists and visitors we get would drastically improve our commercial revenue.

Improved facilities and the chance for a monstrous single tiered Holte.

Bring on modernity.

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #927 on: July 27, 2019, 02:17:55 PM »

must have been pretty quiet last year then. :) Damn-BV beat me to it.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #928 on: July 27, 2019, 02:19:16 PM »
Been 20 years or so since the last redevelopment so we do need to get a move on imo. We are being left behind.

I would support a new Villa Park, I'd rather redevelop the current site if possible though.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #929 on: July 27, 2019, 02:19:53 PM »

Nice and quiet then when they are at home.

It was in the late 80s, so they indeed were absolutely abject, not that much noise created.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal