collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Club vs Country.  (Read 8238 times)

Offline Pat McMahon

Re: Club vs Country.
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2018, 06:51:53 PM »
The two are not mutually exclusive but obviously Villa is our club and we get to see / support them around 50 times a season. They are a part of our daily lives and fuel a lot of our conversations whereas England is more of a summer passion. Those semi final defeats in 1990 and 1996 still hurt though.

A tournament comes along every two years and as these tournaments expand the qualifying games become easier (don't tell Italy and Holland) so there is dullness around a lot of England fixtures.

One thing I love about watching England matches in the pub is that my mates and I all support the same team. It is a rare joy and I love it. But Villa first, obviously.

I can't help liking my Villa supporting mates just that little bit more than I do my non Villa supporting mates (who are very nice people apart from the fact they don't support The Villa).

Ha. I'm lucky that my mates who I tend to watch England games with support Bristol Rovers and Wednesday so I am relatively blessed. The other 2 mates who I sometimes watch with are posh Leeds fans who are very fair play "may the best team win" type merchants. They would even applaud good play by the opposition whilst I am spluttering out a string of joined up swear words. It worked out well for me when we sat next to each other at the 1996 League Cup final :)

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2018, 07:10:27 PM »
One of the regulars on here once said to me he'd rather Villa win a corner than England a match - I'm not that extreme and of course I would like to see England win tonight, but I'd sacrifice every single ounce of England success to see Villa win a trophy once more - I don't think any level of joy or emotion from the nation team can capture the joy of seeing us lift trophies at Wembley and similarly lose finals there too.

My bug bear with England is the pseudo fans that turn up every 4 years and suddenly display emotion that belies there otherwise indifference to football as a whole - i can't stand it.

I would cross continents to watch the Villa and I wouldn't cross the road to watch England on a similar note.

Club every time although it has been nice watching my lad get involved with a major tournament for the first time.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2018, 01:21:52 PM »
Specific to this subject - I’ll be watching Villa in friendlies rather than England vs Belgium which even though it is a meaningless game, is a meaningless Word Cup game. Villa every time for me.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2018, 03:40:52 PM »
If you ever come across anyone who puts his national team above his local club, let me know. I've never known it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal